What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheese Steak
- Traditionally the best cut of meat for a Philly cheese steak sandwich would be a ribeye.
- Since these pizza sticks are meant to be a quick and easy appetizer or snack, I opted for some deli sliced roast beef.
- Grab a good quality roast beef if you can for optimal flavor and texture.
- If you happen to have some leftover steak in your fridge, thinly slice it and substitute that for the roast beef!
Also Check: Steak N Shake Franchise Disclosure Document
The Perfect Pizza Crust
In constructing the dough for this recipe, I wanted to create a crust that would remind me of the familiar roll that serves as the vehicle for my beloved sandwich. I needed something light, yet chewy and substantial enough to withstand the weight of all that steak and cheese.
If you havent attempted to make pizza crust before it can be a bit intimidating. But, Im here to preach that it is beyond worth the trouble. Heres a few tips to get you started:
Give the Dough Sufficient Time to Rise
The time your dough spends rising is time spent developing flavor and texture. Rushing the process will only result in a dull dough that wont properly rise during cooking. Be patient.
Flavor Your Dough
This dough recipe is simple but that doesnt mean you cant jazz it up. I love adding a couple dashes of seasoning to create dimension. Try onion powder, garlic powder or dried oregano! Add in your seasoning during the stretching process.
How to Stretch the Dough
Dont be stingy with the flour! Coat your surface heavily and add more as needed. Gently use a floured rolling pin to roll out your dough. Then, use you hands to gently work your dough to get your desired shape.
Make Ahead of Time
If you find yourself wanting to make pizza but dont always have the time I would suggest making your dough ahead of time.
To thaw, place the pizza dough in the refrigerator overnight and roll it out when youre ready!
How To Reheat Cheesesteak Pizza
To reheat pizza in the oven:
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place baking sheet in oven and heat at 450 degrees F until hot, about 10 minutes. If you would like a chewier crust, then heat to 375 degrees F.
- Transfer pizza to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until heated through. Once the cheese starts bubbling then you know youre good to go.
To reheat pizza on the stove:
- Add slices of pizza to skillet and over loosely with the lid.
- Heat over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
To reheat pizza in the microwave:
- Microwave at 20 seconds intervals until heated through. Be aware that the crust will loose crunch in the microwave.
Don’t Miss: Can Babybel Cheese Stay Unrefrigerated
How To Make This Pizza
This pizza is incredibly easy to whip up the hardest part is just giving the dough enough time to rest!
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Raos Sauce
Does Philly Cheesesteak Have Sauce On It
In my opinion, there are two types of Philly Cheesesteaks.
In our house, we dont use processed foods. Sure I could totally make a liquid cheese sauce, but, I just dont enjoy cheesesteaks with that type of cheese. Therefore, I choose to go with slices of Provolone cheese on our Philly Cheesesteaks!
You May Like: Private Selection Genoa Salami
Helpful Tools For Making Cheesesteak Pizza
- Pizza Stone: The crust begins cooking/searing immediately when dough is placed on the hot stone, which results in a beautify crispy crust on the bottom thats still soft and chewy in the middle AKA perfection.
- Instant read thermometer: allows you to make sure the water is in that tight range of temperature needed to activate yeast. This way you know that if the yeast doesnt activate then its not the water its the yeast and you dont waste your time trying to get the water right. It also gives you the peace of mind that once the water is in the right range, youre guaranteed perfect pizza dough.
- Stand mixer: I use my stand mixer because it saves time, elbow grease and it keeps my hands from getting gooey but its not 100% necessary the dough will just take a few more minutes and elbow grease without one.
- Cheese grater: I use this kitchen tool constantly because FRESHLY grated cheese as opposed to bagged shredded cheese is always the way to go.
- Cast iron skillet: A quality cast iron skillet is a must in your cooking arsenal! It is perfect for searing and creating a deeply golden exterior on everything from chicken, to roast, to pork and seamlessly transitions from the stove to the oven. I love my super high quality Staub and Le Creuset. You can also go with a more economical, trusty skillet like this one which also works very well but it will need to be seasoned and always rubbed with vegetable oil after using.
How To Store Leftover Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
In an airtight container, alternate layers of leftover pizza slices with parchment paper or foil. If you store in the refrigerator, it can last for up to 4 days. If you wish to store it in the freezer, you may use the same method but with an added outer layer of aluminum foil. Your homemade pizza will be good for 1 to 2 months in the freezer.
Read Also: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Dominos Sauce
How To Make Pizza Dough
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt.
Add very warm water and oil and mix until it is well blended. This takes about a minute
Gradually add in enough flour to make a soft dough. The dough ball will be sticky.
Knead the dough on a floured surface adding flour as needed. The dough will become smooth and elastic. This takes about 4 minutes.
Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Grease a pizza pan or a baking sheet. Roll the dough to a 12 inch circle and move it to the pizza pan. Form the edges of the crust by pinching the pizza dough
Recipe Variations To Try
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza boasts the same tantalizing toppings youll find in cheese steaks: thinly sliced steak, gooey melted cheese, sautéed onions, bell peppers and mushrooms .
You can also add any of these common toppings :
- sweet peppers
So, while Ive kept this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza recipe simple feel free to add whatever toppings your heart or belly desires!
Read Also: Does Babybel Cheese Need Refrigeration
Storing Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
This pizza will last for up to four days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. For longer storage, you can freeze the pizza for up to three months. Simply cut the pizza into individual slices, and tightly wrap them in plastic wrap. After that, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag. To reheat, simply defrost the pizza in the refrigerator and then microwave it or heat it up in the oven.
Tips For The Best Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- You need to cook the veggies in advance for a few reasons. First of all, this helps them release their moisture and keeps your pizza from getting soggy. You also get a sweeter depth of flavor from the onions than we would if we put them on the pizza raw.
- Another couple things to prevent a soggy crust are to put a cheese base down on your pizza sauce before any other toppings, and to let all the juices drain off your meat and veggies before adding them to the Philly cheese steak pizza.
- You can also use leftover cooked sirloin steak on your pizza. Just skip cooking it in the skillet, and add it with the cooked veggies on top of the pizza. This is best with steak that is rare or medium, not well done, since it will cook 10 minutes in the oven. Another great way to use up steak is our leftover steak tacos recipe!
Dont Miss: How To Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Also Check: Is The Wax On Babybel Cheese Edible
Which Sauce Is Best At Dominos
If you prefer less spicy sauces, opt for the Hearty Marinara sauce. Those who like a home-cooked, smoky taste, should try topping their crust with Dominos BBQ sauce. Or, if you have a penchant for creamier sauces, we recommend garlic Parmesan white sauce or Alfredo sauce.
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
While ribeye is the traditional cut of beef for Philly Cheese Steak, I like to use flank steak in this pizza recipe because it has the perfect amount of fat/marbling to emerge wonderfully juicy and flavorful and is less expensive. The flank steak emerges buttery tender by slicing it against the grain and marinating it.
Read Also: Plating Ideas For Sandwiches
Faqs For This Tasty Steak Pizza
What cheese is used in Philly cheese steak pizza?
The signature cheese used on Dominos or Papa Johns Philly cheese steak pizza is Provolone, a semi-hard Italian cheese. If you cant get Provolone or dont like it, try making this recipe with mozzarella and cheese. Those are some of my favorite pizza toppings for beef pizzas, which is why theyre used in this recipe.
What can I serve with Philly cheese steak pizza?
A simple tomato cucumber salad marinated in vinegar is a good side option to serve with your homemade Philly cheese steak pizza. Homemade fries, nachos, air fryer wings, or coleslaw are other possibilities.
What sauce is on Philly cheese steak pizza?
Philly cheese steak pizza features a creamy white sauce thats similar to an Alfredo sauce, but dont head to the store just yet my recipe gives you all the information you need to make it from scratch out of basic ingredients.
Can you freeze Philly Cheese Steak Pizza?
This Philly cheese steak pizza can be frozen, so make up several and slip them in the freezer for when the mood strikes! I like to parbake store bought Whole Foods pizza dough or Trader Joes pizza dough and then top it, and freeze the toppings.
Can you freeze the toppings on steak pizza?
What You Need To Make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Pre-Cooked Pizza Crust
- Thinly Sliced Beef
- Smoked Provolone
- Ranch Dressing Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- Sour Cream
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Chives
Years ago, when The Engineer and I were just dating, we used to eat this mouth-watering concoction called a cheesesteak Stromboli. A little restaurant there in our college town made and delivered these golden crusted wonders. And I bet we ate about a hundred of them all dipped in a little cup of Ranch sauce while studying, on dates, after football games and for any myriad of other reasons we could dream up in between. But alas, the day did come when we graduated, got married and moved away.
As time went on, every now and then we would look at each other ask, Do you remember those Cheesesteak Stromboli we used to eat? Yes, all the time. Whats a girl to do when her man is needing some nourishment? Whip up her own recipe, I tell ya. And thats what I did. I starting making own pizza version of the sainted Stromboli.
Come game days, I would throw together my very own Philly Cheesesteak pizzas using a pre-baked pizza crust, a sauce made from a Ranch seasoning mix, and all the Philly Cheesesteak toppings I could manage to pile on.
You May Like: How Long Can Babybel Cheese Be Unrefrigerated
The Perfect Pizza Setup
Want to make restaurant style pizza at home? Ive got you covered! Here are some of my top tips, tricks, secret ingredients and tools for a pizza night everyone will look forward to, again and again.
Ingredients For The White Philly Cheese Steak Sauce
Dont want to make your own white sauce for pizza? No problem you can substitute Alfredo sauce. But my DIY white sauce tastes amazing on steak pizza . Heres what you need
- The base: olive oil, garlic, butter, flour, milk
- Seasoning: salt, black pepper, dried Italian seasonings blend
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley
How To Reheat Pizza
The best method for reheating pizza is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 and place your pizza on a baking sheet. You can line it with parchment paper for easier clean up if youd like. Once the oven is up to temp, cook the pizza in it for 8-10 minutes, until you can smell it.
The cheese should be almost bubbling and hot, even in the center, and the crust should stay nice and crispy.
What Is The Best Steak To Use For Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
When it comes to the best steak for Cheesesteak pizza there are several that you can use many different cuts of steak. We tend to use minute steaks which are often on sale at my grocery store. Many people prefer to use beef tenderloin, ribeye or flank steak. The key is to have a tender steak that you can cut into very thin slices.
You May Like: Can You Freeze Babybel Cheese
Can I Make This Ahead Of Time And Freeze For Later
Of course, you can make it into a homemade frozen pizza! In fact, when I have extra pizza crust on hand after finding it on sale, I love making up some homemade pizzas to wrap and pop into the freezer for later.
These are best prepared and baked when ready to serve. Simply prepare until you are at the step of adding to the oven to bake. Wrap the pizza in plastic wrap covering it completely, and then store flat on a shelf in your freezer for up to three months. When ready, pop into the oven at the same temperature and cook for a few minutes longer to heat through and melt the cheese.
How To Cook A Pizza
The very best option is in a wood-fired oven. If you have one of these, Im jealous.
The best option for most people is in the oven. However, I do love this electric pizza maker by Hamilton Beach. It cooks up to 40% faster & is up to 52% more energy efficient than a regular kitchen oven. It doesnt take up a lot of space and theres a handy viewing window.
This awesome little machine can cook up to a 12-inch pizza . The best feature is the top and bottom heating elements that enable the pizza crust to cook while the toppings are cooking.
Also Check: Roth Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Ingredients To Make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Active dry yeast
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Add in flank steak, sliced onions, and thin sliced bell peppers.
- Cook until veggies are tender and steak is mostly cooked.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, making sure to keep all of the drippings from the steak and veggies, add in heavy cream and milk. Stir well.
- Cook over medium-high heat until sauce comes to a boil.
- Now, add Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and well combined.
- Lower heat to low-medium, add in seasonings, stir well, and let simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Spoon sauce onto pizza crust and spread evenly, keeping 1 inch from the edge of the crust.
- Place sliced provolone over the sauce, completely cover the sauce.
- Next, spoon meat/veggie mixture on top of provolone. Spread evenly over entire pizza.
- Now sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve.