Creamy Stovetop Macaroni And Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Stovetop Mac and Cheese is the creamiest, dreamiest version of an all-American favorite! No one can resist a savory combination of a creamy cheddar cheese base blended with macaroni noodles, and it couldnt be easier made on the stovetop.
Cook Your Pasta Past Al Dente
Make sure you cook your noodles appropriately when making mac and cheese, especially if you want it to be the creamiest it can possibly be. You need to make sure that you cook the pasta you’re using al dente, which is Italian for “to the tooth,” because if you undercook it, your sauce can get gritty from the extra starch. You also may want to adjust the flour in the roux to accommodate how you’re planning to cook your noodles. Using less flour in the roux might help to offset the undercooked noodles.
Ingredients In Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Butter and Flour These are the base of the roux, which is used to thicken the sauce.
- Milk and/or Half and Half You can make this mac and cheese with all whole milk, all half and half, or a blend of the two. I usually use a blend of two.
- Seasonings Keep it simple with salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and a hint of cayenne.
- Cheese The most important part! I use a blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Pick an aged cheddar for the most flavor. Of course, you can also experiment with your favorite cheeses. Try subbing some of the cheddar for American cheese for a more classic blue box style mac. Or try Gruyere, provolone or fontina!
- PastaUse hearty macaroni noodles , and cook them in salted water for the best flavor.
Also Check: Why Does Babybel Cheese Come In Wax
How To Make Sausage Stuffing
How Do I Reheat Mac And Cheese
The sauce for this mac and cheese tightens up a lot especially after its been cooled. Reheat leftovers on the stove over low to medium heat, adding a tablespoon of milk or a some cream to reconstitute the sauce while it heats. Stir occasionally.
You can also reheat in the microwave under half power for a minute or two adding a splash of milk or cream and stirring in 30-second intervals.
You May Like: Do Sealed Cheese Sticks Need To Be Refrigerated
Creamy Macaroni And Cheese With Bacon And Peas
The Chunky Chef03/19/2015
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Okay guys, let me guess one of your kids favorite meals probably chicken nuggets, and Id guess macaroni and cheese too. Am I right? Thought so lol. My kids LOVE mac and cheese. Of all forms, all flavors, even the Kraft easy mac that you microwave. They go nuts. So over the years Ive made several varieties of homemade mac and cheese, to try to get them to please for the love of all things holy, eat something I cooked for you!!.
This macaroni and cheese dish isnt just for the kids it has some grown up flavors, and its a little bit healthier. Although, as youre eating it, you wont be able to taste that its healthier all youll taste is a deliciously creamy sauce and some amazing flavors. Want to know the secret?
Yep, almond milk! Do you guys drink this stuff? Its actually pretty good and its really good for you
You can choose any pasta shape that you like for this macaroni and cheese classic elbows, some penne, rotini, anything! I love the curly and fun shape of cavatappi Part of the unique flavors of this dish comes from the cheeses used the white cheese you see there is gruyere. It. Is. Amazing! Its rich, nutty, and delicious. I paired it with a sharp cheddar.
I chose to garnish mine simply with just a few extra crumbles of bacon, but it would also be delicious with some fresh chopped chives or just some minced parsley.
I hope you all try this one
What To Do With Leftover Mac And Cheese
Despite being mac and cheeses #1 fan, Ive never really loved the leftovers. Heating it in the microwave always left it clumpy and drynot my scene.
If youre still hankering for a creamy mac, reheat the leftovers on the stove top, adding a few extra splashes of half and half as it warms up. This should keep the sauce from being dry.
You can also pan fry leftovers! Melt some butter in a skillet and add a big scoop of leftover mac and cheese. Flatten it a bit with your spatula and let it brown and crisp on the bottom a bit before flipping and browning the other side. I love this method for those crispy browned bits!
Finally, you can use leftovers to make Fried Mac and Cheese Balls, which are delightful as an appetizer or entree!
Don’t Miss: How Long Does Babybel Last In The Fridge
How To Keep Mac And Cheese Creamy
I’m sharing a handful of tips to help keep your baked mac and cheese creamy, smooth and saucy.
- First, no eggs. Unlike the Southern-style mac and cheese, this creamy version does not include eggs. The eggs help to “set” the casserole, giving it a firm, dry texture. Since that’s not what we’re going for here, you’ll need to leave out the eggs.
- Next, lots of sauce. We’re not skimping on cheese, milk or cream in this dish. We’ll make plenty of cheese sauce to coat the noodles. It looks like a lot of sauce, but you need that amount in order to keep the dish creamy in the oven.
- Velveeta cheese. That’s right, I said it. Blasphemy?! Maybe! But trust me here: Velveeta melts smoothly into the sauce giving the mac and cheese a rich, creamy texture that you just can’t quite replicate with other types of cheese.
- Baking Time. This casserole goes in the oven at a low temperature for just 15 minutes. This short baking time is important because it’s just long enough to melt the cheese on top and get the noodles hot inside, but it’s not so long that it dries out the pasta and sauce. If you like a crispier crust on top, you can pop it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end.
Creamy Mac And Cheese Recipe Reviews
Folks really do think it is one of the best macaroni and cheese recipes theyve tried. For more real-life reviews and pictures, check out this pin! Reviews like:
- Very yummy as is! I like to put the dish in the oven with breadcrumbs and more cheese and let it form a crispy top. Also note I used everything gluten free and it was delish.
- I made this for a cookout and everyone loved it. I used 1/2 & 1/2 instead of milk for some extra creaminess and added 1/2 t smoked paprika. Good stuff!
- This was so delicious! Creamy, flavourful, and really simple. Our favorite mac and cheese recipe yet!
- Made for dinner last night, and it really was the creamiest mac and cheese! The only thing I changed was using American cheese, instead of cheddar
If you loved this creamy mac and cheese recipe, please leave a comment below. Let me know if you added your own flair, and feel free to humble-brag.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Babybel Last In The Fridge Unopened
Make The Cheese Sauce
While the macaroni is cooking, make the cheese sauce. It’s really easy but there are a few notes that we’ll go over to ensure your success!
Make a Roux
This homemade mac and cheese sauce starts with a roux. What is a roux? It’s a mixture of fat and flour that is used to create thick sauces. Start by melting the butter and then adding the dry ingredients .
Use a whisk to combine the ingredients until the mixture is homogenous . Let it cook for about 60 seconds before moving on!
Add wet ingredients.
After the roux has cooked for 60 seconds, add the milk and whisk the mixture really well. Add the sour cream or Greek yogurt and whisk again. At this point the mixture will be fairly runny. Cook over medium heat whisking every 10-15 seconds until the sauce starts to thicken.
Do NOT let this mixture boil! If you do you may end up with a mac and cheese sauce that is too thick. Once the sauce has thickened enough to stick to a spatula, turn the heat to low. Then it’s time for the next step…
Add the cheese & whisk until smooth
Add the cheese and whisk until the sauce is smooth and all the cheese is melted. This will take 1-2 minutes over low heat. At this point it is important to taste the cheese sauce and adjust the salt/garlic according to your tastes!
Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
There are as many different baked macaroni and cheese recipes as there are home cooks. In the South, baked mac and cheese is typically just a simple combination of pasta, eggs, butter, milk and cheese. The eggs set up to create a firm casserole that you can slice into squares to serve. If you prefer that style dish, try my favorite Southern Baked Mac and Cheese recipe. This recipe, by contrast, uses a roux to make a creamy béchamel that coats the noodles in sauce. If you’re looking for the ultimate creamy baked mac and cheeserecipe, then you’ve come to the right place!
You May Like: Babybel Refrigeration
The Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
Sharp Cheddar is my first choice for flavor however you can certainly use your favorite cheeses. Mix it up and use a bit of gruyere, or even pepper jack for a little kick. If you have bits of cheese leftover, you can combine them all together in this easy homemade cheese sauce.
This recipe has a special ingredient that is a little bit unconventional but makes it extra yummy AND it is optional. The addition of cheddar cheese soup makes the sauce a little bit extra velvety and just adds a little something. I think its much better than Mac and cheese with Velveeta! Give it a try! .
The Best Mac And Cheese Recipe
Theres nothing like homemade mac and cheese, am I right? What makes the perfect mac and cheese in your opinion? Good ol Kraft right out of the box? Homemade thick and cheesy on the stovetop? Baked with a crispy topping and lots of ingredients inside?
I think its a bit different for everyone, but let me tell you about my perfect mac and cheese. I like a thick and creamy perfectly flavorful cheese sauce like my picture above shows. If that sounds good to you, then you will LOVE this recipe too
See my Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe too! Be sure to follow for daily recipe inspiration!
Recommended Reading: Babybel Cheese Refrigerate
The Mac And Cheese Magic Explained
Note that while the milk was doubled, I halved the butter in the recipe. . Still, the mac was the creamiest version I have ever had, and the cheese sauce was luxurious and had fully merged with the pasta instead of just being a soupy slick on the outside.
The reason is simple: Like in any one-pot pasta, minimal liquid becomes intensely saturated with the starch coming off the cooking pasta, making your sauce silky and eliciting great texture. It amps up a creamy mouth-feel without needing to add so much butter. The fact that you then are at about an 8-10-minute bowl of mac, with only one pot and one spoon to wash, and no need to dig the colander out of the cabinet, is an extra little mac miracle.
So, whether you are having a once-in-a-great-while indulgence of a childhood fave or have a weekly mac attack if you are cooking solo or for your kids I bet once you try this version you may never go back except for seconds.
Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese
The Chunky Chef09/30/2019
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite recipe, loved by both children and adults. It uses a combination of cheeses, layered in the dish as well as melted into a rich and creamy cheese sauce, for the ultimate in cheesy deliciousness! Perfect for a comforting dinner or as a holiday side dish!
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
Baked mac and cheese. Its nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations! In fact, I almost didnt post this recipe, as there are SOOOO many mac and cheese recipes available, and most people already have their favorite way of making it.
Of course, theres no right way or wrong way, so Im here sharing the way I like to make my mac and cheese .
You May Like: Roth Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
How To Make Mac And Cheese Sauce
Step 1: Make Roux by this point, you already know the ins and outs of a roux and how to make it , so were going to skip to step 2.
Step 2: Whisk in Milk slowly add milk to the roux, whisking constantly so it doesnt burn. Continue to whisk for around 4-6 minutes, or until things begin to thicken.
Dont rush this process. we PROMISE things will thicken!
Step 3: Remove from Heat once things are thick, turn the heat off.
Step 4: Whisk in Shredded Cheese then, add shredded cheese, garlic, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and whisk until the cheese melts.
Give your cheese sauce a taste and add more hot sauce, as desired.
Step 5: Enjoy! mix mac and cheese sauce with macaroni noodles and serve immediately.
Do You Need To Bake Mac And Cheese
Creamy mac and cheese recipes that start with a roux-based sauce , do not need to be baked before serving. A creamy stovetop mac and cheese recipe is designed to go straight from the pot to the plate — no oven necessary. You could also serve this mac and cheese without baking — it will just be really saucy. By contrast, Southern-style mac and cheese recipes must be baked in order to cook the egg and help the dish set.
How To Make The Creamiest Mac And Cheese
The best macaroni and cheese recipes start with a rich bechamel sauce made with whole milk and plenty of butter. Bechamel sauce isnt difficult to make, but it can be finicky. Follow these tips and youll have a smooth, creamy bechamel sauce in just 10 minutes!
- Warm the milk or cream so that is hot to the touch, but not boiling. Warmed milk incorporates into the roux much easier than cold milk.
- Stay focused and whisk often. I am almost always multitasking in the kitchen, but not when it comes to making a bechamel. Youll want to stay close so you can keep whisking and adjust the heat if the sauce seems to be burning or thickening too much.
- Follow the back of spoon test Youll know the bechamel has thickened enough when it coats the back of a spoon, but still drips off easily. If your sauce thickens more than this and starts to get gloppy, dont panic! Just add a few more splashes of warm milk until it is thinned out.
- Use freshly shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is often coated with additives that keep it from sticking together. Unfortunately, this can also prevent it from melting smoothly into sauces. Whenever I need to shred a large amount of cheese at once, I use my food processor.
Here you can see what the sauce should look like when its thickened, and then after the cheese has been added.
Can I Make This Ahead And Reheat It
We dont recommend reheating macaroni and cheese as it never tastes quite the same and theres a possibility that the macaroni will become mushy. However, if this is a deal breaker, you can reheat it simply add some milk to loosen the thickened sauce while reheating. We recommend making it and having it ready right before you leave. Turn off the slow cooker but leave the lid on. When you arrive stir it and loosen with milk if needed.
Also Check: What To Make With Mac And Cheese
You May Like: Hazen Meats
Mac And Cheese Ingredients
Three kinds of cheese, Greek yogurt, and a béchamel sauce creates the smoothest and richest cheese sauce you can ever imagine. Get ready to dive into a pot of cheesy goodness.
- Pasta We usually use elbow noodles to get that traditional mac and cheese look. Feel free to use any type of pasta that you have on hand or like.
- Butter and Flour This combines together to create a roux that is used to thicken the liquid.
- Milk Any variety of milk will work, just remember that the higher the fat content the creamier your mac and cheese will be.
- Greek Yogurt the secret ingredient to the creamy cheese sauce. You can also use sour cream instead.
- Cheese A combination of freshly shredded cheddar cheese, Velveeta, and Parmesan cheese makes this mac and cheese the creamiest and cheesiest pasta.
- Spices Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground mustard
BRUCREW TIP: Pre-packaged shredded cheese has a coating on it to keep it from sticking. That coating can prevent it from melting very well and can add a graininess to the sauce. For best results, shred a block of quality cheese with a grater at home!!!