Alfredo Sauce With Cream Cheese Faq
How should I store the Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce?This sauce is generally best served immediately after making it. However, if you do have leftovers, store it in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze the sauce?It really doesnt defrost or reheat well.
How long will the sauce last?The sauce should last at least a few days in the refrigerator.
Substitutions?Instead of milk you can use half & half or heavy cream. Evaporated milk might also work ok.
Can I use low-fat ingredients?Yes, you can use low fat cream cheese and low fat milk.
What else can I add to this recipe?You can add your favorite fresh or dried herbs or spices. Some chopped fresh parsley, rosemary, oregano, or basil would be delicious.
Can I make this vegan/vegetarian/low carb/gluten-free?Here are some suggestions, but I cant guarantee results. Be sure as always to check particular brands and ingredients if youre following a specific diet or have diet restrictions or allergies.
Vegan Theres a lot of dairy in this version of cream cheese alfredo sauce so I would not recommend making a lot of vegan substitutes.
Vegetarian The alfredo sauce is vegetarian.
Low-Carb All the ingredients should be fairly low carb.
Gluten-Free All the ingredients should be gluten-free but be sure to check specific brands.
I have a great list of 27+ uses for Alfredo sauce you might want to check out, but here are some quick ideas
How To Make Alfredo Sauce:
This recipe for Alfredo sauce has just a few ingredients nothing weird or strange or hard to find.
Aflredo sauce is made of just heavy cream, butter, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Youll just melt the butter and cream together, remove from the heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until its thick and creamy.
You can stir in any additional seasonings youd like. Nutmeg is nice. Salt is necessary. Black or white pepper is a must.
I do a garlic Alfredo sauce by adding in a teaspoon of minced garlic to the butter and cream while its heating. The garlic flavor is perfect with this creamy sauce!
This is a gluten-free alfredo sauce, because flour does not belong here. Its unnecessary.
But how do you thicken your alfredo sauce without flour, you ask? Cheese, yall. Just cheese.
I find this recipe to be perfectly thick on its own, but youre welcome to stir in more Parmesan cheese if youd prefer a thicker sauce.
What Does Alfredo Sauce Taste Like
The one-line answer is It tastes heavenly!
Because there are loads of butter and cheese in Alfredo sauce, it tastes very creamy and rich. It has butter so its going to be rich and almost sweet.
It has Parmesan so it will be nutty, salty, and creamy and even more buttery in terms of flavor.
The taste is not overpowering at all, but it lingers in your mouth for a good amount of time. It tastes a lot better than the cheese-free roux and needs barely any seasoning.
Recommended Reading: Spreadable Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How To Make Alfredo Sauce With Milk
To get started on this easy recipe, the first thing we do is melt butter in a medium saucepan set over medium low heat along with minced garlic and flour. The garlic will saute as the roux cooks. It is important to keep stirring your flour mixtures so it doesnt burn. You want to cook it for approximately three minutes to ensure the raw flour taste is cooked out of it.
Next, the milk is added to transform the roux into a sauce. Dont add all of the milk at once or it will not incorporate into the roux properly. Instead, begin by adding a few splashes of milk at a time and stir them into the roux. Once the milk is blended in more can be added. Repeat this until all of the milk has been added and you have a creamy white sauce.
We will do the same thing with the fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Begin by stirring one handful into the sauce, then add more. Repeat until all of the cheese has been added, then stir in salt and black pepper. I highly recommend using fresh ground black pepper for the best flavor. The sauce is ready to be served over your favorite pasta noodles.
Also Check: Texas Pete Pepper Sauce Recipe
Is Alfredo Sauce Keto
Yes! This is totally keto! Crazy, I know! But such good news if you are following a low carb diet this can be a great recipe to enjoy while cutting back on other favorite meals.
Even though it is keto and considered a low carb recipe, it is still full on creamy, thick and rich white sauce. It will be like dessert in your mouth! This easy to make Alfredo Sauce recipe will have you saying MMMMM and AWW, with every bite.
Recommended Reading: Babybel Cheese Refrigeration
Brands Of Alfredo Sauce In A Jar
Next time you go to the grocery store, peruse the Italian sauce aisle. It seems that this aisle grows a little bit every time I go to the store.
As you look over the selection, youll see some national brands, such as Bertolli Alfredo sauce, Raos homemade Alfredo sauce, Classico Alfredo sauce, Ragu Alfredo sauce, and generic store brands of Alfredo sauce.
Ive found that these are all Alfredo sauces of good quality. However, my favorites are Classico and Raos. But you might like one of the others more.
Like anything else, its all a matter of personal taste.
Based on my experience, theyre all delicious, even though they all taste different. I recommend trying all of them one at a time, of course.
Many of the brands offer a choice between creamy white sauce and tomato sauce based Italian sauce.
You can also find more specific flavors, such as the creamy basil Alfredo from Bertolli.
My personal favorite is typically the one thats on sale because I know that Ill be making it my own sauce after adding a bunch of delicious ingredients.
Why Is There No Alfredo Sauce In Stores
It comes down to the time it takes to switch between sauces using the same manufacturing line. Every time you change a line, we lose efficiency, we lose volume we can give to consumers, Maharaj said. Central Fresh Market recently received 24 jars, a much smaller shipment of Alfredo sauce than they expected.
Read Also: Is The Wax On Babybel Cheese Edible
Why This Recipe Works
My love for making homemade sauces is growing. Most savory sauces that you purchase in a can or a jar at the grocery store can be made at a fraction of the cost and in just a few minutes.
And bonus! By making sauces yourself, you eliminate ingredients that you dont wish to consume. My husband has been dealing with stomach issues for years and for whatever reason, his body does not like yeast. Do you know how many sauces and seasoning contain yeast? A lot.
I was super excited to make a homemade version of Alfredo Sauce because the ingredient list on the jar overwhelmed me and I just knew I could make a tastier version. Ohh-ho-ho was I right. This sauce is SO GOOD, people. SO good.
It is creamy and rich and I enjoy pouring it all over everything. If you have a few spare minutes, please give this recipe a try. Youll be hooked, too! In my humble opinion, this version rivals the famous Olive Garden recipe. < -MASSIVE CLAIM!
Gordon Ramsay Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
This recipe teaches you how to make a Gordon Ramsay easy homemade Alfredo sauce, plus the history behind fettuccine Alfredo. Fresh fettuccine tossed in butter, and Parmesan cheese makes up fettuccine Alfredo or fettuccine al burro, a traditional Italian pasta dish. Emulsified cheese forms a creamy sauce that coats the pasta and emulsifies as it melts.
Don’t Miss: Can Babybel Cheese Stay Unrefrigerated
Ways To Serve Alfredo Sauce
At the end of the day, this Homemade Alfredo Sauce is only as good as the dish it accompanies. Serve this glorious sauce with Chicken Alfredo over Fettuccine or Linguini noodles. Or use this sauce as a dip for bread twists or veggies. Need more? Drizzle this sauce over grilled chicken or spread it on a pizza crust ! The skys the limit on how you want to eat this stuff. However, nobody will judge you if its just you, a bowl of sauce and a spoon.
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON ALFREDO SAUCE WITH CREAM CHEESE
- Bacon: Who wouldnt love Bacon Alfredo Sauce? Cook a few bacon slices until crispy, crumble, and stir into sauce with the parmesan or right before serving.
- Veggies: Add veggies like sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, fresh diced tomatoes , sautéed mushrooms, or thawed frozen peas to your sauce with the parmesan cheese.
- Heavy Cream: For an extra rich and creamy Alfredo Sauce, substitute heavy whipping cream for the whole milk in this recipe. You can also use half and half!
- Spices: Give your Alfredo more flavor with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried basil, or a pinch of nutmeg. Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Cheese: Make this sauce even more creamy and decadent with more fresh shredded cheese like provolone, mozzarella, or white cheddar stirred in at the end until melted.
- Fettuccini Alfredo: Toss this creamy sauce with fettuccini pasta cooked to al dente, with a little reserved pasta water as needed, and top with Grilled Chicken Breasts or Grilled Lime Shrimp for an easy dinner.
EASY ITALIAN PASTA DISHES
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Read Also: What Does Brick Cheese Taste Like
Tips For Making Easy Alfredo Sauce
People are often intimidated and unsure how to make Alfredo sauce. This is an easy recipe, but here are some tips for first-timer success!
- When you first start whisking the warm milk into the roux, it will clump up and look an awful lot like you’ve made a horrible mistake. Never fear — those clumps will thin out as you continue adding the milk. First, they’ll take on the consistency of mashed potatoes, then pureed cauliflower, and then a sauce. Just keep calm and carry on adding the milk a little at a time while whisking.
- Also, don’t wait for the milk to thicken up completely before adding the cheese since the cheese will thicken it even more. You want to add the cheese just at the point when the milk is thick enough to coat the spoon and the sides of the pan in a thick milky layer. If you’re starting to wonder if it’s time to add the cheese, it probably is.
- If the sauce seems too thin after you’ve added the cheese, just let it simmer for a few more minutes on low heat until it’s as thick as you like. Conversely, if the sauce seems too thick , just whisk in a splash of milk, broth, or water to thin it out again.
- Don’t limit yourself to just using Parmesan for this Alfredo sauce recipe. You can really use any cheese you like — cheddar, Swiss, gruyere, gouda… You get the idea. Use the best quality, and best tasting, cheese you can find. It’s the main ingredient, so it makes a big difference in the tastiness of your finished sauce.
The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe Ever
Alyssa RiversJump to Recipe
Alfredo Sauce is the most creamy and delicious homemade alfredo sauce that you will ever make! This is a tried and true recipe and you will agree that it is the best recipe out there!
Also Check: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Go Bad
How To Make Jar Alfredo Sauce Better
Posted on Last updated:
If you want to know how to make jar Alfredo sauce better, there are so many different things you can do. Add a few different ingredients to take your store-bought Alfredo sauce to a whole new level of deliciousness.
You can enhance the jarred Alfredo sauces flavor thats already delicious by adding more fresh garlic or garlic powder.
Or you can change this creamy white sauce up a bit with ingredients that arent on the list on the back of the jar.
Ingredients For Creamy Alfredo Sauce
You likely already have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. Thanks to the thickness of the cream cheese, you dont need to make a roux for this sauce! Here is what you will need:
- Butter Its best to use unsalted butter so that you dont make the sauce too salty. This way, you can taste and adjust the salt later on to suit your liking!
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese Whether you choose to use full fat or reduced fat cream cheese is up to you. I typically go with full fat to make my homemade alfredo sauce extra creamy.
- Minced garlic
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese You can use the kind you buy pre-shredded if you are in a pinch, but I highly recommend grating your own. Not only is the flavor better, but it melts much easier in the sauce. Feel free to grate some extra on top of your finished alfredo pasta!
Recommended Reading: Plating Ideas For Sandwiches
Really Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo
We have tried dozens of recipes to get the creamiest fettuccine Alfredo – and here’s the winner! Basil and nutmeg add a subtly different feel to this Alfredo.
Provided by AMETHYST
|8 ounces dry fettuccine pasta|
|1 package cream cheese|
|¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|½ cup margarine|
|1 pinch ground nutmeg|
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente drain.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream cheese, Parmesan, margarine, milk, garlic powder and basil and stir over low heat until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 minutes. Toss sauce with pasta and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 680.3 calories, Carbohydrate 45.2 g, Cholesterol 77.2 mg, Fat 48.2 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 18.8 g, SaturatedFat 19.5 g, Sodium 673.6 mg, Sugar 4 g
Other Quick Meal Ideas You May Like
Simple Stir Fry Sauce Stir fry is one of the easiest things to throw together for a quick and easy dinner or lunch!
Creamy Orzo with Meatballs and Peas Meatballs, peas and orzo pasta in a creamy cheesy sauce is a great weeknight meal for a family on the go!
Simple Weeknight Meatloaf Simple, home comfort food.
Crustless Quiche Meat and veggie ingredients can be interchanged for whatever you like or what you have on hand.
Crockpot Chicken Chili Colorful and satisfying, this Crockpot Chicken Chili is perfect for a crowd!
Read Also: Laughing Cow Cheese Refrigerate
Try These Other Pasta Dinner Recipes
Easy Garlic Parmesan Pasta : My kids request this weekly. Same idea as alfredo sauce but a much lighter recipe. We love it with rotini spiral pasta.
One Pot Taco Pasta : All the classic taco flavors in a pasta dinner recipe that cooks in just one pot.
Creamy Tomato Beef Pasta : Creamy ground beef mixture with tomatoes and mixed with pasta. Easy, delicious, kid-friendly dinner idea.
Cheesy Ziti Pasta Bake : Easy to assemble casserole with a short-cut pasta sauce and lots of cheese!
Baked Spaghetti Casserole : Spaghetti baked in a casserole dish. This sets up so nicely and it’s a fun way to eat spaghetti.
The Best Way To Use Alfredo Sauce
American-style Alfredo can be served with various delicious pasta shapes and recipes, unlike the Italian Alfredo sauce served with fettuccine. In fettuccine Alfredo, substitute spaghetti or bucatini for the fettuccine, or use Alfredo sauce to coat any twisty or hollow pasta shape, such as penne or Gemelli.
Although Alfredo sauce, typically paired with mild proteins , it is delightful with dark green vegetables such as kale and broccoli, whose bitterness balances the richness of the cream sauce. Sauté chopped vegetables separately in olive oil, then combine with pasta and sauce.
Read Also: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last
What To Serve With Alfredo Sauce
While itll be tempting to eat this Alfredo sauce by the spoonful right from the pot, its best served over your favorite pasta whether it be linguini, fettuccini, penne, or even zucchini noodles for a low-carb option. Garnish it with additional parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley.
I love to use this sauce when Im making my Spicy Chicken Rigatoni its a Bucca Di Beppo copycat that is SO good.
Another fun option is to make this Easy Oven-Baked Blackened Chicken to go with it. It is juicy and delicious and pairs perfectly with this Alfredo sauce.
Itd also be great with these Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells. Truly, the options are endless.
Oh, and lets not forget about this delicious homemade Caesar dressing I made for you. Its like the restaurant style thatll impress everyone. You could always pair this Alfredo with a yummy Caesar salad!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Simple Creamy Alfredo Sauce made with half and half and cream cheese. If you try this recipe, and I hope you do, please come back here to let me know what you think. It makes my heart super happy when readers take a photo and tag me on social media, or come back here to leave a comment. 🙂
Thank you so much for being here and as always, ENJOY!
- 1- 8oz package cream cheese softened and cut into cubes
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cloves of minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper