What Meat To Use For Philly Cheesesteak
Here are some reasons why we think experimenting with different kinds of meat is a good idea:1. 2.3.
- Ground Beef For those who want their steak super-juicy!
- Tri-Tip Roast
- Pick one of the meats from this list to use for your sandwich.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty meal.
- Be ready to munch in no time!
Prepare And Cook The Bread
The bread used for Philly cheesesteaks is traditionally a long roll type of bread with sesame seeds on top. However, if you cannot find this type of bread in your local grocery store or bakery, simply choose any long loaf that looks like it will fit the bill. Brush some oil all over the inside of the bread before toasting it lightly on a stovetop griddle pan without browning too much. Keep an eye on them as they toast so that you can remove them from the heat when they are just about done but not burned or overcooked.
Storage And Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftover filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat single serving portions in a microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through. Serve into a fresh hoagie roll.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious sandwich recipes:
Don’t Miss: How To Make Mac And Cheese Recipe Step By Step
How To Thinly Slice Steak
The secret to a fantastic cheesesteak sandwich lies in the thinly sliced beef used in the sandwich. Itll nearly feel like its melting in your mouth. The quickest and most convenient method of thinly slicing steak is to store it in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes before thinly slicing it against the grain with a sharp knife. You might also consider purchasing a meat shaver. However, that could be a touch severe.
How To Cook A Cheesesteak
The meat is sautéed on a slightly oiled grill until cooked through. Most cooks chop the meat with their spatulas, and add salt and pepper. Onions are often cooked on the same grill but are not married with the steak until its time to put them on the roll. That is, if you want your sandwich wit.
Dont Miss: What Is In Taco Bell Nacho Cheese
Don’t Miss: What To Cook With Mac And Cheese
The Best Cheese For A Philly Cheesesteak
If youre looking to make a traditional Philly cheesesteak that copies something you could buy in Philadelphia, you cant go wrong using provolone cheese, , provolone, or American cheese. or American cheese. However, because there are no set rules for making a cheesesteak, youre also free to experiment and try using other types of cheese that you enjoy. Are you ready to try to make your own Philly cheesesteak in your kitchen? What type of cheese do you think youll try?
Tips For Making The Best Philly Cheesesteak
Below, find our top tips and tricks for making the best Philly cheesesteak.
- Thinly slice your beef. Use a sharp knife to slice your beef thin. This will create a tender mixture and an easy-to-bite sandwich.
- Dont overcook the beef. Whatever you do, dont overcook the ribeye! The best part about this sandwich is that it melts in your mouth and is easy to bite. The meat should be so thinly sliced that you can quickly saute it. Consider investing in a mandolin slicer to shave the meat.
- Use a slow cooker for tougher beef. Dont want to spend the big bucks on ribeye? Want cheesesteaks ready when you get home? Pop a chuck roast into the slow cooker with a cup of beef broth, a touch of Worcestershire, and some salt and pepper. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. 45 minutes before serving add the veggies of your choice into the crockpot. Spoon the mixture onto your roll and top with cheese.
- Substitute chicken for beef. If beef is out of the question, substitute it with chicken. A lot of cheesesteak shops offer this option in Philly because it is delicious in its own way. Make sure you slice the chicken thinly and against the grain to get a similar texture.
Have leftover steak in the freezer? Frozen steak is actually easier to slice thin. Let it defrost a quarter of the way, slice it thin, and throw it straight into your pan. Just keep in mind to drain any excess moisture released before adding your sauteed veggies into the mix.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Homemade Cheese Dip
The Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Its time to take a trip up to the Northeast with this Authentic Philly cheesesteak smothered in caramelized onions and served up in a toasted bun and topped off with a delicious homemade cheese sauce. This seriously may be the best sandwich of all time.
The cheesesteak is a super classic American dish that originated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 1930s by a man named Pat Olivieri. The creator was originally a hot dog vendor and decided to throw some meat on the grill one day and add it to a bun.
This sandwich attracted all sorts of customers, including cab drivers, and the word spread fast about this tasty steak sandwich. Pats is now one of the original and most famous cheesesteak restaurants in Philly.
Its super simple to make consisting of only sliced ribeye thats cooked with caramelized onions and served up on a bun with cheese. Right along with my Roast Beef Sandwich and Jibarito sandwich, this ones at the top of my favorites list.
Its an awesome sandwich to serve to a crowd during a sporting event or its amazing when just eating it for lunch. You pick.
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak
Making Philly cheesesteak only requires a few simple ingredients and one pan. Below, find a high-level overview of the recipe.
- Prepare the filling. Chop and sautee your veggies. Remove from pan and set to the side. Sautee thinly-sliced beef in the same pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sauteed veggies back into the pan. Stir to combine. Top with cheese and let it melt naturally from the heat of meat and veggies.
- Stuff and serve. Stuff your untoasted or toasted hoagie roll with the meat mixture. Serve right away along with your favorite sides .
Don’t Miss: How Does Cottage Cheese Help You Lose Weight
Is This Recipe For Philly Cheese Steak Authentic
Considering the sandwichs murky origin story, and all the different ways that people like theirs, I think that this recipe is darn good and as close as it gets. Some people add garlic salt, some people add peppers, some people even add mushrooms. Ultimately its your cheese steak, so make it the way you think youll enjoy it!
Tips For Making Homemade Philly Cheesesteak
- Ribeye steak should be marinated for at least 6 hours in order to reap the benefits of the tenderizing properties. For the maximum benefit, however, marinate overnight.
- Dont poke holes: In contrast to popular belief, you should NOT poke holes in the steak before marinating. This actually drains out the valuable juices and will result in less juicy steak.
- Always marinate steak for a prolonged period of time covered in the refrigerator and not at room temperature to avoid food-born illness. Only remove it from the fridge to the counter 60 minutes before youre ready to grill to help bring it to room temperature so it cooks evenly.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Make Velveeta Cheese Dip
What Is A Reuben Sandwich
A classic Reuben is a sandwich consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing between slices of rye bread that is grilled until the bread is crispy and the cheese melts.
Though the sandwich may be enjoyed hot or cold, we love serving it HOT. The meat is heated and cheese melts and the tangy dressing penetrates into the sauerkraut creating an irresistible grilled sandwich.
How To Toast The Bread
Lightly toasted hoagie or Italian long rolls add that extra crunchy bit of deliciousness to the Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich. Slice the rolls in half to open them up, but make sure not to slice too deep so as not to separate them.
Spread either butter or garlic butter on the insides and pop them in the oven to toast them. Alternatively, you could also lightly toast them on the pan. Be careful not to burn them though.
Read Also: Does Cottage Cheese Have Carbs
Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread
Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread with just a few simple ingredients is the taste of Philly for a crowd! It comes together in just minutes with major flavor in each bite!
With tender cuts of meat, melty cheese, tangy Worcestershire sauce, and fresh veggies, the flavors of Philly cheesesteaks are irresistible! I like to use these tasty ingredients in things like sloppy joes, stuffed peppers, and even egg rolls for a cheesy twist!
Philly Cheesesteak With Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Who doesnt love a good cheddar? Sharp and tangy, it has a distinct flavor profile.
You can find milder and stronger versions depending on what you like.
Personally, I like something with a bit of bite in it, but not too much for this kind of sauce.
You want that perfect medium!
Of course, what you like might not be what I like!
Also Check: What Cheese For Charcuterie Board
Best Ever Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Place your steak in the freezer for around 20 minutes this will give it just enough time to firm up a little bit before serving. Using this method, slicing becomes simpler. As a starting point, watch the video below. Instructions on how to thinly slice steak When cutting your steak, use a sharp chefs knife that will glide through it effortlessly, especially if the meat has been partially frozen previously Inquire with the butcher about having your steak sliced for your convenience. Really?
Your butcher should be happy to slice your steak for you, whether youre shopping at a separate establishment or at your local grocery.
The cost of this service is included in the price.
- A pair of eight-inch hoagie rolls sliced
- 2tablespoons unsalted butterdivided
- A 12-inch green bell pepper sliced
- A 12-inch onion sliced
- 16-ounces boneless ribeye steaks thinly sliced against the grain
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2tbspworcestershire sauce
- 4 slices white American cheese
- This recipe is enough for two huge, filling sandwiches. Filling can be divided between three hoagie buns to form smaller sandwiches
- However, this is not recommended. Cheese whiz or smoked provolone cheese can be substituted for the white American cheese in this recipe. In classic cheesesteaks, onions are the only customary topping
- Bell peppers and mushrooms are optional, but highly encouraged for taste. When it comes to cooking cheesesteaks, amoroso buns are traditionally used, although any bakery-style hoagie rolls will do.
Immigration And Cultural Diversity
Apart from economic growth, another factor contributing to the population increase is Philadelphias rising immigration rate. Like the millennial population, Philadelphias immigrant population is also growing rapidly. According to research by , the citys population had increased by 69% between 2000 and 2016 to constitute nearly 20% of Philadelphias work force, and had doubled between 1990 and 2017 to constitute 13.8% of the citys total population, with the top five countries of origin being China by a significant margin, followed by the , , , and .
Irish, Italian, German, , English, Russian, , and French constitute the largest ethnic groups in the city. Philadelphia has the second-largest Irish and Italian populations in the United States, after New York City. remains one of the largest neighborhoods in the country and is home to the . The neighborhood and section of South Philadelphia, home to many clubs, are well known as neighborhoods. The , , and neighborhoods have historically been heavily Irish and Polish. Port Richmond is well known in particular as the center of the Polish immigrant and community in Philadelphia, and it remains a common destination for Polish immigrants. , although known for its Irish and Irish-American population, is also home to a large and Russian population. in also contains a large Jewish community, while nearby is historically known as an community.
Dont Miss: Does Babybel Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
You May Like: Where Can I Buy Halloumi Cheese
The Secret Ingredient You Should Be Adding To Your Philly Cheesesteak
On any list of Americas most iconic sandwiches, as well as itsbest regional specialties, you better bet that the Philly cheesesteak would be right at the top. Thin-sliced beef, sauteed onions, and gooey melted cheese on a thick, hearty bread roll whats not to love?
If you havent been to Philadelphia, you may have had various ersatz cheesesteaks at fast-food restaurants like Subway or even Arbys, but these knockoffs are nothing like the real deal. For an authentic taste of Philly cheesesteak goodness, youre better off trying to recreate the classic recipe at home. In addition to rolls, cheese, onions, and steak, there is one secret ingredient thats sprinkled on both the meat and the bread that can really take the taste over the top: garlic.
While garlic may not have been used in the very first cheesesteaks, it has long been used in Italian cooking, and the cheesesteak is definitely a product of Phillys Italian-American community. It owes its origins, after all, to three guys named Pat Olivieri, Joe Lorenza, and Joey Vento .
Authentic Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
Learn everything you need to know to make the Best, Authentic Philly Cheese Steak Recipe at home from a Philadelphia native! What type of meat, cheese, and bread to choose and more. Bonus guide: Where to get the Best Cheese Steaks in Philly!
This post has been A LONG TIME coming. I grew up in Philly and while I now live on the West Coast, I lived there most of my life. Cheesesteaks are something I grew up on and know a lot about. Probably too much
People in Philly take Cheesesteaks really, really seriously and everyone has their fav spot. While cheesesteaks have some slight variations from place to place and personal preference, there are some things that really matter.
Also Check: How Many Carbs Are In Babybel Cheese
Whats The Best Bread For Philly Cheesesteak
The best bread for Philadelphia cheesesteak is a sub roll, also known as an Italian roll. The sub roll is a long, round loaf of bread thats perfect for sandwiches, and it has the perfect amount of heft to hold up to the juicy meat and gooey cheese.
Still looking for more options?
Then keep scrolling!
How To Make Philly Cheesesteaks
Start by making seasoned garlic butter. Place the softened butter in a small bowl and press, mince or grate a garlic clove into the butter. Use a knife to combine the garlic and butter fully.
Slice a baguette in half the long way, then widthwise.
Spread the garlic butter on both sides of the French bread halves.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the buttered French bread in, buttered side down, to toast. Press down with a spatula for even browning.
Meanwhile, dice a sweet white onion.
Remove the toasted bread from the pan and set aside. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the now-empty skillet. When hot, add the diced onion and cook until softened. Remove the onions from the skillet to a small bowl.
Place the ribeye steak on a cutting board and slice into very thin slices.
Heat another drizzle of olive oil in the now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced ribeye and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper and add back in most of the diced, cooked onions. Divide the beef mixture into two piles in the skillet and top each with a half piece of provolone cheese.
While the cheese melts, brush the insides of both toasted baguettes with mayonnaise.
Place the bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the melted cheese and beef mixture in the pan. Use a spatula to scoop the filling into the bread, flipping to catch anything that might try to fall out.
Serve the Philly cheesesteak sandwiches hot.
Philly Cheesesteak Seasoning Ingredients
Generally, the most basic Philly Cheesesteak ingredients are beefsteak tomato, onion, pepper, and cheese. However, this sandwich has many variations thus, you need to know what kind of meat and toppings you need on your sandwich.
Toppings include mushrooms, bell peppers, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. You also may add other ingredients such as bacon or ham.
To create the perfect Philly Cheesesteak, you must start by getting the right ingredients. Here are some of the ingredients that you use when making your own Philly Cheesesteak:
1. Beefsteak Tomato A beefsteak tomato is used in the Philly Cheesesteak because it contains many flavors. You can find it in the produce section of grocery stores.
2. Salt Salt is added to the sandwich so that it has an excellent taste
3. Vinegar Vinegar is added to the sandwich to help cut down on the fat you consume.
4. Oil Oil is added to the sandwich because it helps keep the bread from drying out.
5. Bread The purpose of bread is to hold all of the ingredients together.
6. Seasoning Seasonings are added to the sandwich before cooking and are best for seasoning the meat to give it a flavorful taste.
How To Melt The Cheese
Cheez Whiz already has a gooey, sauce-like consistency which makes it the perfect Philly cheesesteak sauce. If youre using that then you only really need to pour it on top of the meat and toppings as a final step.
If youre using other types such as provolone or American cheese, add the slices on top of the meat once it’s almost cooked in the pan. Essentially what youre doing is covering the meat with the cheese slices so that the cheese melts on top.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Asiago Cheese Bread