Note On Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
First Published: January 5, 2015 Last Updated: May 16, 2020
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing From Scratch
This Keto Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe is very easy to make and it comes together fast! Simply stir together all ingredients.
Pro Tip: If you like your Blue Cheese Dressing on the chunky side with large pieces of blue cheese, first stir together all other ingredients until smooth and then fold in the crumbled blue cheese.
Other Recipes You May Like
Need a few more recipes for keto condiments to top off salads and other low-carb foods? The following are some of my family favorites.
- Easy Hollandaise Sauce can be served over eggs or vegetables to add in a buttery lemon flavor.
- Keto Cheese Sauce is great for topping veggies, dipping chips, or drizzling over tacos.
- Low Carb Ketchup has no added sugar so its a much better option for those watching carbs.
- Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing is smooth and creamy without adding any dairy.
- Keto Ranch Dressing can be used as a dip, salad topping, or for adding flavor to casseroles and other dishes.
For more homemade low carb dressing recipes, take a look at this collection.
FOLLOW ME ON , , AND FOR MORE EASY KETO RECIPES.
You May Like: Can You Put Sour Cream In Mac And Cheese
Keto Blue Cheese Dressing 6 Ingredients
This easy Keto Blue Cheese Dressing is the perfect, low carb, keto friendly dressing you have been looking for! Great for a salad topper or as a dip for your chicken wings. This creamy, homemade dressing recipe will have you wondering why you ever bought a store brand!
I looked high and low for a store bought blue cheese dressing that was keto friendly. The only one I could find that came close was Bolthouse Farms Blue Cheese Dressing. It has 1 carbs per 2 tablespoons. It would be found in the produce department of most large grocery stores. It still has soybean oil but it isnt the first ingredient like on most other dressings I found.
The others were filled with soybean oil, sugar, and preservatives.
The Ingredients In Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese is made from cows milk. The blue mold is introduced to the curds while they are being made, during which time it is also mixed with salt and occasionally other herbs or spices.
It is then placed in a round mold which forms the typical blue cheese ball shape. Aged blue cheeses are usually very pungent and have a strong taste of ammonia.
This is because the longer they are aged, the more moisture is lost, inevitably leading to increased concentrations of vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds that make blue cheese so popular with mainstream consumers worldwide.
Blue Cheese is and is rich in many essential nutrients that our bodies require, such as Vitamin A and B12. It is also a good source of riboflavin, iron, phosphorus, and potassium.
Don’t Miss: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Have To Be Refrigerated
What To Eat With Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese is a natural pairing with a lot of different fruits, such as pear, apple, and cranberries.
It also goes well with many different nuts, such as hazelnuts, walnuts, and pecans.
Additionally, dried fruit is also a good combination with blue cheese.
And because Im from Buffalo, I have to mention that Blue Cheese Dressing is perfect with Buffalo wings!
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
Ive got good news for you the best keto blue cheese dressing takes just 5 minutes to make! Heres how to make blue cheese dressing:
- Mix blue cheese dressing ingredients. Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese crumbles, lemon juice, almond milk, sea salt, and black pepper in a bowl or jar.
TIP: Use your spoon or spatula to press the blue cheese pieces against the side of the bowl or jar to help the blue cheese flavor incorporate into the dressing.
Read Also: Does Babybel Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Keto Friendly
Bluecheese dressing is fairly low in carbs, containing 4.4 grams of carbs pertablespoon. As long as you dont exceed the recommended serving size, thisdressing can definitely be a part of a strict low carb diet, like Keto.
Blue cheese dressing isnt just good for salads. You can add it to a number of low carb dishes and snacks. Keep reading for a list of some great ways to enjoy this tangy, flavorful dressing on Keto.
Loaded Cabbage Steaks With Blue Cheese Dressing
Feb 23, 2021 | Keto Recipes |
Who knew roasted cabbage was so delish? I grew up eating cabbage shredded and stir-fried and while thats still a favorite, this recipe for Loaded Cabbage Steaks has quickly become a favorite in my keto household.
Instead of shredding up tons of heads of cabbage to feed a family, slice them up into big chunks, top them with delicious bacon and whatever else you like and pop them in oven while you spend more time with your family? I am sold.
Try these cabbage steaks with my Pork Chop recipe or pile it high with keto pulled pork for even more deliciousness.
Actual cook time will vary depending on how thick and evenly the cabbage is sliced and the amount of moisture in the cabbage slices. For best results, check after 30 minutes and adjust the final cook time accordingly.
If youre just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Don’t Miss: What Is In Taco Bell Nacho Cheese
Healthy Homemade Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
The problem is that you cant really buy dressings from the store that dont include a bunch of preservatives and un-pronounceable ingredients that I didnt want to consume or feed to my family. The list of salad dressings I make has grown over the years, and finally this Blue Cheese Dressing has made it to the list.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Blue cheeseuse a cheaper kind, like a generic blue cheese. Note that some blue cheeses are not vegetarian.
- Mayonnaise use a store bought kind, its not worth it to make your own for this one. I like Hellmans mayonnaise*.
- Fresh lemon juice can be substituted for a bottled kind, but the fresh one gives a better taste.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
Can I Use Buttermilk
Some homemade Keto Blue Cheese Dressing recipes use buttermilk to produce a thinner consistency.
While buttermilk is delicious, its also quite high in carbs. One cup of buttermilk contains between 12-15 grams of carbs or more.
And when youre following a keto diet and trying to keep your carbs around 20 grams per day, those sneaky added carbs from foods like salad dressing can really add up!
This is why we havent included buttermilk in our homemade Keto Blue Cheese Dressing recipe. Instead, you can use unsweetened, low-carb nut milk to thin out your dressing if you prefer it on the runnier side.
- Flax milk
- A small amount of cashew milk
We wouldnt recommend using coconut milk, as the flavor is too strong and doesnt pair well with the blue cheese.
What Snack Has No Carbs
Muffins made with eggs. If youve been eating carb-free for even a week, youve probably discovered that eggs are your greatest buddy. Mediterranean lettuce wraps A fresh lettuce wrap is another fantastic carb-free snack.. Pepperoni slices.. Olives.. Salmon or canned salmon.. Celery.. Cucumbers and pickles.. Cold cut roll-ups.
You May Like: What Does Brick Cheese Taste Like
Keto Salad Dressings To Buy: Best Brands Healthiest Products And Walmart Options
There are plenty of trustworthy salad dressing brands and popular products you can find at your local grocery store or superstore chains like Walmart or Target.
Before you add anything to your cart, however, make sure to check the nutrition facts and ingredients label to confirm that it is something you want to add to your keto lifestyle. When in doubt, try using the three keto dressing characteristics we learned about earlier to help guide your decision.
Lets begin our journey through keto-friendly store-bought dressings with the cheaper, easier-to-find options. The following list of dressings are likely to be found at most grocery store chains, Walmart, and Target .
- Hidden Valley Ranch
- Great Value Creamy Caesar Dressing *
- Kraft Classic Caesar Dressing
- Kraft Ranch
- Kraft Creamy Italian
- Kens Steakhouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
- Kens Steakhouse Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Great Value Classic Ranch Dressing & Dip *
- Great Value Blue Cheese Dressing *
- Great Value Buttermilk Ranch Dressing *
- Skinny Girl Dressings this brand focuses on making sugar-free products that are very low in calories, and fat. Double-check the label to make sure the net carbs fit within your daily carb limit. Only use these dressings if you are already eating too much fat throughout the day.
*This denotes a keto dressing exclusively found at Walmart.
Keep in mind that these will not be the healthiest dressings, but they are more budget-friendly and keto-friendly.
Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
The T. Marzetti Company product family includes many retail and foodservice favorites, like Marzetti® salad dressings and dips, New York Bakery® frozen breads and Sister Schuberts® homemade rolls. T. Marzetti Companys vision is to bring delicious food to the table, superior service to our customers, and value to our consumers through product innovation and differentiation.
Recommended Reading: Jasons Deli Gluten Free
Recommended Reading: Is Kraft Mozzarella Cheese Vegetarian
How To Make A Keto Wedge Salad
Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust if needed by adding more salt, pepper, etc.
You want to stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the dressing is smooth, except for the blue cheese crumbles.
Cut the iceberg head into quarters, lengthwise.
Place one wedge on a plate and spoon 2-4 Tablespoons of dressing on top of each.
Finish with chopped bacon, green onions, and more blue cheese crumbles.
Best enjoyed immediately.
Healthy Wedge Salad Recipe
While most people head to a steakhouse for the steak, one of my favorite things to get is the wedge salad. There is something so delicious yet fancy about eating a wedge salad. And Im not even a salad person!
Ok, I liedI do always get a steak! BUT I love to start my meal with a crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce topped with creamy blue cheese dressing and bacon. Mmmmbacon
I dont know why I never tried to make one at home before, because recreating this classic iceberg wedge at home is actually quick and easy! Dressing too!
Did I mention that its naturally keto friendly?? You dont need to buy any special ingredients Ill show you how to make homemade blue cheese dressing with simple, real food ingredients.
I promise, it will rival anything youd get at a restaurant! And way cheaper to make at home too!
Read Also: Can You Put Sour Cream In Mac And Cheese
How To Make Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
Put all the ingredients except for the â cup of the blue cheese in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined.
Mix in the remaining â cup of the blue cheese, just until combined. That’s it!
Serve the blue cheese dressing with an iceberg wedge or other salad of your choice.
Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you can just whisk the ingredients together.
Add a little bacon over the top…
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Vegetarian
One type of blue cheese called Stilton is most often vegetarian and free of rennet. Rennet is a complex set of enzymes produced in the stomachs of ruminant mammals. Versions of Stilton blue cheese that contain the traditional rennet are clearly marked, but most do not contain this nonvegetarian ingredient.
With that being said, most brands of dressing on the market simply list blue cheese as an ingredient without specifying the type of blue cheese used therefore, it can be hard to tell if the product is truly vegetarian.
The best way to guarantee your blue cheese dressing is in fact vegetarian is to make your own using rennet-free stilton blue cheese. Try the Keto-friendly recipe above, you wont be disappointed.
Also Check: What Sauce Is On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
How Should I Serve My Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
Creating a great salad is a true art form. Its all about the color and texture!
To create the perfect salad to pair with your low-carb Keto Blue Cheese Dressing, first choose a base of leafy greens. Our recommendations are:
- Cherry tomato
Dont forget the protein! Chicken, boiled eggs, salmon whatever your heart desires.
To really elevate your salad, try adding fresh herbs and a little crunch were talking seeds like pepitas, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds.
Of course, you dont have to use this low-carb Keto Blue Cheese Dressing for salads only. Check out these non-salad serving suggestions:
- Served in place of dip with bell peppers and cucumber sticks, or keto crackers
- Drizzled over chicken wings
- Poured over steak or meatballs
How To Make Low Carb Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese carbs are good carbs! Loaded with protein and a hefty dose of fat, this is a well-balanced keto salad dressing and dip.
Plus, its easy to make:
Don’t Miss: How Long Can Babybel Cheese Be Unrefrigerated
Can You Freeze Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
No, I would not freeze this keto blue cheese dressing recipe. Dairy in general doesnt freeze well and it will separate and no longer be creamy when you thaw it.
If you wont be able to eat all of it, just cut the recipe in half. It takes just 5 minutes to make, so its easy to whip up another batch of keto approved blue cheese dressing when you need it.
Can I Eat Blue Cheese Dressing When Pregnant
Pregnant ladies should avoid blue cheese dressing to be on the safe side. If you do decide to buy it, look for pasteurized products. Blue cheese raises your risk of Listeria poisoning, which is very risky for unborn babies because its commonly manufactured with unpasteurized milk.
Is Kens Blue Cheese Dressing Pasteurized? Soybean oil, water, distilled vinegar, blue cheese , salt, sugar, less than 2% of the following: cellulose gel and cellulose gum, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor, sodium and calcium caseinates, lactic acid, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, calcium sorbate
Is Bleu Cheese Pasteurized? Nearly all fresh cheese in the United States is pasteurized, including mozzarella, fresh goat cheese/chèvre, ricotta, and feta. Raw and pasteurized Cheddar, Manchego, and blue cheeses are readily available.
Can I Eat Pasteurized Blue Cheese When Pregnant? The germ is commonly found in soft cheeses and precooked foods like hot dogs and deli meats. The FDA currently claims that unpasteurized feta, Brie, Camembert, queso blanco, queso fresco, blue cheeses, and other soft cheeses are the only places where Listeria can be found. Theyre fine if theyre made using pasteurized milk.
Read Also: Does Babybel Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
Most Popular Way To Enjoy Blue Cheese Dressing
1) Blue Cheese is incredibly delicious on its own so that it can be served simply by itself drizzled over lettuce or watercress on a bed of spinach and tomato slices. The combination of blue cheese, spinach, and tomatoes are also perfect as a side dish for ham or turkey.
2) Oystersare incredibly popular seafood around the globe! Serve these delicious oysters with pickled ginger, orange wedges, and blue cheese dressing on top! They will be sure to go down very well at your next events.
3) A warm roast is always very satisfying in the autumn/winter months. However, feel free to replace a regular salad dressing with some blue cheese instead it goes well with the rest of the ingredients.
4) Did someone say bacon?! We did! This is one thats guaranteed not to disappoint. This is a straightforward recipe that is guaranteed to cause a lot of smiles around the table.
Blue cheese is also delicious on its own with raw vegetables. In fact, it is often served as a dip on the side of many appetizers and is one of our favorites for parties. It is so versatile that you can serve it with almost any meal or as an appetizer to people arriving at your home!
6) This is another straightforward recipe that is perfect if youre in a rush but still wants something tasty!
9) A blue cheese salad is probably the most popular way for people who arent following a keto diet or any other special diet to enjoy blue cheese dressing is to serve it on top of a salad.
Ways To Use The Best Blue Cheese Dressing
Salads are an obvious choice for this homemade blue cheese dressing recipe, but there is so much more this dressing can do! Try it as a dip for raw veggies, drizzled over salad greens, or as a dip for wings, meatballs, and buffalo cauliflower:
- Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Meatballs You know I love meatballs, and while it would be hard to pick a favorite these are at the top of the list!
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Wings If you want easy wings without a lot of work, this slow cooker recipe is a great option. And if youre making a game-day spread and dont have any extra room in the oven? Slow cooker to the rescue.
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Crispy wings made easy in the air fryer. Its hard to believe how crispy these are without frying them in oil. Serve them with your favorite sugar-free BBQ sauce, ranch, buffalo sauce, and this keto blue cheese dressing recipe.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Youll love eating your veggies with his buffalo cauliflower recipe! And obviously they need a delicious low carb blue cheese dressing to go along with them.
Recommended Reading: What Is In Taco Bell Nacho Cheese