Microwave Mac And Cheese Cups
Kids love Macaroni & Cheese. Its just that simple.
My daughter loves Mac and Cheese as much as the next kid. However, because I dont eat dairy, I often find it a waste to make her an entire box of her favorite kind instead of a single serving just to fit her needs.
Not only that, lets face it: The box variety is just not healthy. Most have added food dyes and chemicals I can barely pronounce when I check out the ingredient label!
Thankfully, we can now make our own Microwave Mac & Cheese Cups at home! With MOMables, there are just so many ways to make your kids favorite meals and snacks without all of the artificial ingredients! Come check us out!
Theyre so simple, whether you use regular or gluten-free noodles . These are simple and quick to make, plus theyre the perfect single serving for a snack, side, or lunch.
MOM Tip: The key is to stir throughout, as instructed. This will keep the noodles cooking evenly and help keep them from overboiling.
Also remember that all microwaves are not created equal, so cooking times may have to be slightly adjusted depending on how hot yours does or does not get. Just keep an eye on the bowl, especially your first time making them, and note the differences.
How Do You Make Mac And Cheese Better
15 Easy Ways to Upgrade Boxed Mac & Cheese for Last-Minute Dinners Broccoli + Shredded Chicken. Bacon + Peas + Egg. Garlic + Pickled Jalapeños. Mushrooms + Thyme + Grated Gruyère. Pesto + Sun-Dried Tomatoes. Kimchi + Bacon + Chopped Scallions. Cherry Tomatoes + Basil + Mozzarella. Spicy Italian Sausage + Onions + Marinara.
Dont Miss: Nacho Cheese Burrito Taco Bell
How Do You Make Homemade Microwave Macaroni And Cheese
Use a microwave-safe baking dish. I use a 2 1/2 qt corningware dish quite often in the microwave.
Add 3 cups of water and 1 cup of elbow pasta and a dash of salt.
Cook for 10 minutes on HIGH in the microwave. Stop every 3 minutes and give it a stir so the noodles dont stick together.
When the noodles are ready and al dente, remove from the microwave and drain the excess water.
Add the butter and about half the cheese and stir to help it all melt.
Add the cream and the rest of the cheese and stir until everything is nicely melted together.
Pop it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to allow the cheese to really melt well.
Don’t Miss: What To Put On Ham And Cheese Sandwich
What Are Some Things To Consider In Order To Cook Kraft Mac And Cheese In The Microwave
A few things to consider are:
- Users should always use microwave-safe containers, and always handle microwave-heated water with care, as it may superheat. A lack of bubbles floating up through the heated water may result in a sudden burst, which may cause mild burns. Always stir microwave heated water from a distance first, if in doubt.
- Never place metal dishes or utensils within a microwave, as it poses a serious danger to both the user and the appliance. Metal items may spark and cause damage.
- The microwave-safe container must not have a lid in place while the pasta is being cooked. The pressure generated by the mounting steam may force the lid off.
- When cooking with/for children, regardless of how user-friendly the presentation or the instructions printed on a packet are, an adult must always be present to prepare the pasta or supervise minors.
Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
I am super picky on my mac and cheese. It must be cheesy. It must be creamy. It must be super flavorful. This Microwave Macaroni and Cheese covers all the things I love about mac and cheese, but made in a coffee mug in the microwave and SUPER Cheesy!
Speaking of cheese I prefer to use cheddar however you can use your favorite cheese including Monteray jack, provolone and parmesan!
If you are wanting your mug mac n cheese to be richer add some butter into the mac and cheese after cooking in the microwave.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Mac And Cheese From Scratch
Recommended Reading: Does Chuck E Cheese Sell Alcohol
Microwave Kraft Mac And Cheese With Milk
If you love kraft mac and cheese but dont love the process of making it, then youll be happy to know that you can easily make it in the microwave. All you need is a microwave-safe bowl, some milk, and of course, kraft mac and cheese. To make your microwave kraft mac and cheese, simply add the pasta and cheese sauce to your bowl, then pour in enough milk to cover the pasta. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through. Then, enjoy your delicious and hassle-free kraft mac and cheese!
Whats The Secret To Making Amazing Macaroni And Cheese
I have three secrets to making microwave mac and cheese into a perfect homemade comfort food.
The first secret is to use more than one kind of cheese. When I make mac and cheese, I use sharp cheddar and colby jack cheeses.
I buy the cheese already shredded. I know, I know diehard mac and cheese enthusiasts swear that you must have freshly shredded cheese. But, honestly, if youre living in a dorm, hotel, or your kitchen isnt working, you dont need the added step of shredding your own cheese. Buying shredded cheese is just fine.
Another secret is a splash of Worcestershire sauce. It adds a savoriness to mac and cheese that is irresistible. You might not have this on hand if all you have is a microwave for cooking, but if you do, I highly suggest you add a splash before mixing up the ingredients. This is also a good thing to have on hand to instantly add savoriness to many things. Its great on veggies or meat, too.
My last secret is replacing milk with whipping cream or half and half. If you happen to have some on hand for your coffee or tea, use it instead of milk. You only need a splash or two, and the creaminess and thickness really add to the creaminess of the mac and cheese. If you dont have any, dont feel like you need to go out and buy it because milk will do a fine job, too.
Read Also: How Much Is A Bacon Egg And Cheese Mcgriddle
How To Make Mac N Cheese In The Microwave
This is so easy, it hardly needs steps. You ready? Lets make mac n cheese.
STEP ONE: Add your choice of pasta, water, and salt to a large microwave safe mug. Stir and then microwave for 4 to 4ÃÂ½ minutes.
STEP TWO: Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and stir in the cheeses and milk. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds or until pasta is tender and the cheese is fully melted.
Thats it! You have mac & cheese!
How Do You Microwave Mac And Cheese In A Bowl
Its easy to make. Just add your pasta, water, and salt to the bowl. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the cheese, milk, and pepper. Cook for an additional 30 seconds and stir before serving!
If you decide to try and make more than one serving at a time, you will need a larger bowl and additional cooking time.
Don’t Miss: How To Mac And Cheese
How To Cook A Mac And Cheese In The Microwave
Notes On Making Microwave Mac And Cheese:
- This recipe calls for a classic small elbow shaped pasta, which works best because it cooks the quickest.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese is what I used for the cheese in this recipe. You can use regular cheddar or read on for some other cheese mix-and-match ideas.
- I typically use 2% or skim milk for this recipe since thats what we always have on hand, but it would work great with whole milk as well.
- Ive also made this with soy milk before and that works fine too.
- You can also substitute a dairy-free butter and cheese and have this be a dairy-free or vegan version if needed.
I personally love the richness and the creaminess of the butter and cream cheese, but those are optional add-ins. Ive made it without them before and my kids still gobbled it up.
The biggest tip: You need a really large, deep bowl to make microwave macaroni and cheese.
Do not try to make it in a mug or a bowl that you would serve it up in. Your water will heat and foam and spill over into the microwave instead of staying in the bowl to cook the pasta.
Been there. Tried that. Made a mess.
I use a medium to large microwave-safe pyrex bowl to cook this in. It looks a little ridiculous because its such a small amount of macaroni in such a large bowl, but trust me, its the way to go.
Of course, I should also note that exact microwave times and temperatures can vary.
Ill tell you that Ive made this in several microwaves and its always pretty spot on to the directions below.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Cashew Cheese
How Many Servings Is This Recipe
This is a single serve recipe however, you can fit 2-3 bowls into the microwave at a time, so feel free to make your whole family their own bowl and then cook them together. Of course, youll have to multiply the amount of ingredients you need, but its still a quick recipe that shouldnt take more than 5 minutes.
How To Make Microwave Mac And Cheese
A Dallas food blog dedicated to microwave cooking when you dont have access to other kitchen appliances.
Once you get a taste of homemade, made from scratch mac and cheese, its hard to go back to enjoying Easy Mac. But, surprisingly, you can make a great-tasting homemade Microwave Mac and Cheese in just a few minutes, even if you dont think you can cook.
You can make homemade macaroni and cheese in the microwave, and in less than six minutes, you can be watching Netflix and eating.
Don’t Miss: What Is Mozzarella Cheese Made From
Why Should You Opt For Box Mac And Cheese
Box mac and cheese is among those products that always seem to be on sale at every grocery store. Why? Because they are super convenient and easy to make. Wondering why you should opt for box mac and cheese instead of the traditional recipe? Here are a few reasons:
- You dont have to use pots and pans, so no more clutter in the kitchen, no more dishes to clean, and no more effort! You can prepare this dish using just one microwave-safe glass bowl. Isnt it great?
- It is super easy to make. Especially when you are too tired to cook something for yourself and not in a mood for takeout, box mac and cheese can be your lifesaver.
- If you are on the go or, say, in a motel, or just about anywhere. You can happily enjoy mac and cheese from the box. All it takes is a microwave.
- Personally, I like the taste of box mac and cheese more than homemade!
How To Thaw And Cook Unbaked Frozen Mac And Cheese
When baking uncooked mac and cheese after freezing, you do not have to thaw it. Thawing it will decrease the cooking time, however, you can just place the frozen dish into the oven to work its magic if you are not in a hurry for it to cook.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 375 °F .
Step 2: Defrost
If you are cooking the mac and cheese after freezing, skip this step and go straight to step 3.
To defrost your macaroni and cheese in the microwave before cooking it, you need to ensure it is in a microwave-safe dish. Remove the foil. Use the defrost setting on the microwave which is equal to 30% power. Check the dish after seven minutes and continue to defrost for a few more minutes, if needed.
Once thawed, cook it in the oven straight away.
Step 3: Cover With Foil
Whether frozen or thawed, remove any cling film wrapping from your dish and cover the top with foil only. Set the dish on a baking tray to prevent any cheese or juices from melting or dripping onto the base of the oven.
Step 4: Bake
Make sure the oven is heated completely to 375 °F before placing the mac and cheese inside to cook. Bake the foil-covered dish for 25 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the dish and whether it has been thawed.
Step 5: Remove Foil and Bake
Step 6: Remove and Cool
Once the top is golden brown, remove the mac and cheese from the oven. Switch the oven off. Let the dish cool for a few minutes before serving as it will be piping hot.
Read Also: How Long Is Babybel Cheese Good For
Read Also: How Much Calcium In Cottage Cheese
Microwave Macaroni And Cheese
While mac and cheese in a mug is the new viral recipe, we have been making it for a long time. It is my go to for when the kids want mac and cheese but I dont feel like doing the work of making Baked Mac and Cheese.
This Microwave Macaroni and Cheese is made with real ingredients, a coffee mug and a few minutes in the microwave. No Velveeta or fake cheese here, we like real ingredients and real cheese! LOTS of cheese!
The best part is that this Microwave Macaroni and Cheese is super cheesy just like you want in a homemade mac and cheese but made right in the microwave!
Originally we posted this homemade Easy Mac recipe back in 2013, we have since updated the photos to be as beautiful as this Microwave Macaroni and Cheese is tasty! This mac and cheese in a mug is so easy to make and perfect for when you are wanting a quick tasty mac and cheese at lunch time or for a snack!
Recommended Reading: Private Selection Multigrain Bread
Is Cook Microwave Mac And Cheese Bad For You
Cooking mac and cheese in the microwave is a quick and easy way to make the dish, but is it bad for you?
Some people believe that the high levels of sodium and unhealthy fats in the cheese can be harmful, while others say that the convenience and minimal preparation time outweigh any potential health risks.
Whether or not you choose to cook your mac and cheese in the microwave is up to you, but be sure to weigh the pros and cons before you decide.
Tips For Making Microwave Macaroni And Cheese ~
- Use a big mug. Mine had a 1 2/3 cup capacity.
- My microwave is a fairly standard 1000 watts. If yours is different youll have to tweak the timing.
- Use elbow pasta, anything larger will not cook quickly enough.
- Whole milk seems to work best, although feel free to use cream or half and half for a decadent treat.
- Measure carefully and accurately according to the recipe directions. Use a liquid measuring cup for the liquid, and a dry measuring cup for the solids.
- Cook your noodles until all of the water has all been absorbed. Check carefully after the 4 minutes, and if there is still any water left in your mug, keep microwaving in short bursts until it is absorbed. Microwaves, like ovens, can be finicky.
- Set your mug on a small plate to catch any water overflow.
- Pre-packaged finely shredded cheese made the creamiest thickest sauce. If you are grating your own cheese, you might experiment with adding a pinch of cornstarch to the milk and cheese.
- Stir well after adding the cheese and microwaving for the final 30-60 seconds. The sauce will develop and get creamy as you stir. It will continue to thicken as it sits. You can reheat it briefly if you like.
- If despite doing everything right you still end up with a thin sauce, you may have had extra water left in your pasta after the initial cooking, Check it carefully because water = watery sauce.
- Once youve got the basic operation down, experiment to your hearts content with different cheeses, etc.
Can You Microwave Annies Mac And Cheese
We took your favorite comfort food and packed it into perfectly portioned microwavable meals. Thats right, our White Cheddar Microwavable Mac & Cheese offer all of the yum of a classic box of Annies mac without the extra time. Simply add water, microwave, and voila! Easy, cheesy goodness done in three minutes.
Recommended Reading: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Dominos Sauce
Don’t Miss: How To Make Cheese Puffs
Place The Water In The Pot And Turn The Burner To High Heat
How to make kraft mac and cheese without microwave. Add 1/4 cup margarine, 1/4 cup milk and cheese sauce mix Bring three cups of water to a boil in a saucepan, then add macaroni. Make kraft mac and cheese without milk or butter by using substitutions.
How do you keep mac and cheese creamy? Pour the noodles and leftover water into a bowl and add the cheese powder. This will reduce the likelihood that the cheese will break down and separate, resulting in oily macaroni and cheese.
Drain the water, but leave enough to mix with the cheese powder. Pour the pasta from the box into the hot water . Can you make mac and cheese cups with hot water?
Turn it off when it looks done and eat it out of the pot . Add cheese mix, milk and butter, stirring until butter is melted and cheese. Kraft is the champion of boxed mac and cheese.
All you do is boil the water and add it to the cup and. Drain well kraft mac and cheese cups without microwave 2. The pasta provided in kraft macaroni & cheese packages cooks in about 12 minutes in the microwave on high, stirring every 5 minutes.
Empty the easy mac contents into the actual glass coffee pot. Remove the package of powdered cheese from the box and put it to the side. Cook in microwave for 9 to 9 1/2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Set the timer for 1 minute for a single serving, or 90 seconds for a larger portion. Made easy cook pasta according to package instructions Heat the macaroni and cheese slowly on medium power.