Cajun Mac And Cheese Recipe
Feb 27, 2022·
Creamy Mac and Cheese with a kick from andouille sausage and a homemade Cajun seasoning will definitely be a great addition to any dinner menu or as a meal itself.
We definitely are macaroni and cheese lovers in this house and anytime we can change it up to make it a bit spicy we love it even more. Thats why I love this Cajun Mac and Cheese recipe. Plus it uses a wonderful homemade Cajun spice seasoning that I have in the pantry at all times. This already made one from the store is great to use, too.
Simple ingredients easily found at the grocery store to keep in the pantry or freezer. Another reason I love this recipe is that I most always have everything on hand to make it anytime the craving hits. I buy the sausage when its on sale so I can stock up with a couple of packs in the freezer. Using a smoked sausage works really well in this recipe, too.
This would be a delicious recipe to add to your Mardi Gras menu. Nothing better than a creamy cheese sauce with pasta and cajun flavors added. Tons of flavor!
Can I Use Pre
Pre-shredded cheeses are mixed with either potato starch, powdered cellulose, and natamycin, or a combination of the three to prevent clumping. These agents have an impact on how the cheese melts. The best mac and cheese uses freshly shredded cheese as they melt better, but pre-shredded cheese can also be used in a pinch. The results may not be as velvety smooth, but itll still taste delicious.
You May Like: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
Gather & Measure The Ingredients
This easy mac and cheese recipe is super fast-paced once you start cooking, so it’s important to have all the ingredients measured and ready to go! As you can see there are only eight, common ingredients in this recipe that most of us have on hand at all times! We will discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions later in this post .
You May Like: Laughing Cow Cheese Not Refrigerated
Tips For Making Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Dont use pre-shredded cheese. I know it can be a big time-saver, but its not worth the trade-off. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents and/or preservatives added. They dont have the same flavor or texture as freshly-shredded cheese.
- Take the extra couple of minutes to use fresh onion and garlic. In a pinch garlic and onion powder will work, but fresh adds a whole different level of flavor.
- If the mac and cheese looks watery when its done cooking, trust the process! Follow the recipe and itll come out right in the end.
- For a more complex flavor profile similar to fondue, add white wine. To do so, reduce the water to 3 2/3 cups and add 1/3 cup dry white wine.
From Bechamel To Mornay
Once your white sauce is ready to go, its time to add your cheese to make your cheese sauce.
Just like adding milk to your roux, you need to be careful when adding cheese to your bechamel sauce. A few tips will help with this process:
- Grate your own cheese from a block. Packaged grated, sliced or cubed cheese contains anti-caking agents to prevent the pieces from sticking together in the pack. These agents can interfere with how your cheese melts and lead to clumping or grittiness.
- Lower the temperature of your sauce before you add your cheese. Some authors reduce the heat and some take the pot off the heat, but they almost all take some action to ensure a lower temperature when the cheese goes in. This ensures the cheese heats evenly.
- Add your cheese gradually. Rather than dumping it all in at once, add your cheese in smaller amounts, like a half a cup at a time. Ensure the cheese is fully melted and integrated into the sauce before adding the next half cup. Like the tip above, this helps the cheese to heat evenly.
- Stir constantly to keep the cheese from cooling the sauce and clumping.
As youve probably guessed, making a roux-based cheese sauce for mac and cheese is not complicated, but it needs a gentle and patient hand. Take your time, and keep the heat down, and youll be well placed to create a beautifully creamy mornay sauce for your mac and cheese.
Read Also: Plating Ideas For Sandwiches
How To Make One Pot Stove Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
Its simple, clear, and considerate of everything we need in order to still eat well and prepare quickly, without compromising on quality and taste.
happy Stove Top Creamy Mac and Cheese times to you,
How To Make Mac And Cheese
It starts with a traditional roux made with melted butter and flour which is the thickener for the sauce. Add seasonings, milk, cheese, then add the pasta.
And it all cooks together at the same time! Because the sauce thickens as it cooks, it needs to be stirred frequently. Not constantly, but pretty frequently. A leisurely stir every now and then, taking a sip of wine in between and flicking through a magazine.
Now thats a nice vision of preparing dinner, isnt it??
I thought a cooking video would be especially useful for this recipe so you can see the thickness of the sauce when you take it off the stove. If there is one tip Id give for Mac and Cheese any Mac and Cheese, even baked ones its this: take the sauce off the stove BEFORE its the consistency you want. The sauce continues to thicken as you stir it and serve it. And it thickens really fast.
So take it off the stove earlier, and if its still too thin for your taste, pop it back on later.
I know there are many fancy schamcny Macaroni and Cheese version out there in this big wide world. Truffled, Lobster , multiple types of cheeses, loaded with cream. The list goes on and on. And Im definitely partial to playing around with Mac and Cheese myself.
But a real classic Macaroni and Cheese is something that everyone should know. I realise Ive completely contradicted myself here because this is a one pot version which isnt traditional! But the end result is absolutely bang on traditional. Nagi x
Read Also: Alessi Balsamic Reduction
Instant Pot Mac And Cheese Recipe
Rich, creamy, flavor-packed cheese sauce and a crispy buttery topping make this easy-to-make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe stand out from the rest! We use a special blend of cheeses and seasonings to make it something truly special. And no worries if you dont have an Instant Pot you can easily make this on the stovetop!
I originally made this mac and cheese a couple months ago. I made it on the fly, not bothering to measure any ingredients or write down any instructions. You know, the type of cooking where you just go into the kitchen and intuitively throw together whatever feels right. And of course, it ended up being the one.
The recipe that becomes the only recipe of its kind that that need because its that good.
Everyone who tried that mac and cheese told me it was the best mac and cheese of their life. I was shocked! As crazy as it is to say , I agree.
Because I didnt write anything down when I first made it, I spent the next couple months trying to replicate that perfect macaroni and cheese.
After much testing , I am sharing my recipe.
Get ready for the homemade mac and cheese recipe that you will now use as a baseline to judge every other mac and cheese that crosses your lips. I dont mean to ruin other mac and cheeses for you, but you deserve this!
If youve been searching for the best mac and cheese recipe, cross that one off your list, friends.
Why Is It Called Kraft Dinner
During the Great Depression, a St. Louis, Missouri salesman, Grant Leslie of Dundee, Scotland, had the idea to sell macaroni pasta and cheese together as a package, so he began attaching grated cheese to boxes of pasta with a rubber band. In 1937, Kraft introduced the product in the U.S. and Canada.
Recommended Reading: Charcuterie Cutlery
Storing Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
The leftovers from this mac and cheese recipe need to be refrigerated. Let the leftovers cool completely, cover, then refrigerate for up to 3 days. For optimal texture, add enough milk to thin the sauce before packing up the leftovers, that way you can easily scoop out a portion to reheat, and the milk will meld into the cream sauce as it reheats.
Special Equipment For This Recipe
- Instant Pot I recently upgraded to this model and I love it!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
You May Like: Is The Wax On Babybel Cheese Edible
Serving And Storage Suggestions For Chili Mac And Cheese
There is nothing better than fresh and hot mac and cheese, or in this case, beef chili mac and cheese.
For me personally its always best warm and fresh because the cheese is at its best.
However, extra will keep airtight for up to 5 days in the fridge or for up to 4 months in the freezer.
Reheat it gently in a microwave-safe container when it comes to warming up the leftovers.
Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
In our house, we love Instant Pot macaroni and cheese! All of the different kinds. Even the box kind if my husband is making it.
When we came up with this amazingly simple Instant Pot idea for creamy macaroni and cheese, I fell in love! Its so great that I can just pour the noodles in, set the timer and no draining is required.
If you want to try out some more awesome macaroni recipes take a look at our Ground Beef and Macaroni Tomato Soup recipe, or our super delicious Cheeseburger Macaroni recipe, and another favorite, our Cheesy Macaroni Casserole recipe.
Read Also: Laughing Cow Cheese Refrigerate
Can You Add Cream Cheese To Box Mac And Cheese
According to one Redditor, you dont even need much cream cheese to make a significant improvement to the taste and flavor of standard boxed mac and cheese. Simply add a few ounces of an inexpensive store brand cream cheese to your pot of mac, stir it in, and allow it to melt over low heat as the flavors meld.
Avoiding A Grainy Mac And Cheese
The most common issue people face is a sauce thats grainy, gritty or lumpy. As weve seen, there are a few key things to remember to avoid this:
- Use clarified butter for your roux, or gently simmer off the water in normal butter first.
- Add the milk in small amounts, mixing each addition through before adding more.
- Use freshly grated cheese.
- Lower the heat before adding your cheese.
- Add cheese in small amounts, melting and mixing through each addition thoroughly before adding more.
- Stir constantly while making your roux, making your white sauce and adding your cheese.
Attention to these details will go a long way to ensuring your mac and cheese is smooth and creamy.
Also Check: Who Invented Babybel Cheese
Also Check: How Long Does Babybel Last In The Fridge
How To Make Mac And Cheese In One Pot:
There are a few tips and tricks for making a one pot mac and cheese that are different from the traditional way. Here are some pointers for best results!
- Use a combination of broth and whole milk or light cream: this is the best way to get a creamy sauce that is still smooth. Since the sauce will simmer for quite a while, you need a higher fat dairy that wont curdle. If it does heat too quickly and curdles, just keep cooking and stirring and it will smooth out.
- Dont overcook the pasta: its important to stir every few minutes and keep an eye on things as mushy pasta is not appetizing for anyone!
- Be a little flexible with your liquid: different liquids and different pastas will cook differently, so if you find that your liquid has mostly absorbed and your pasta is not cooked through, add a splash of broth of cream! Add it slowly and gradually and you cant really go wrong. Learn to go with your gut if you think it needs more, add a bit more.
- Keep in mind that the cheese will thicken the sauce considerably, so you want quite a bit of liquid remaining after the pasta is cooked. If you need to, add a bit more when you add the cheese to make the sauce come together
Can I Make Chili Mac On The Stove
Yes you can make chili mac on the stove.
In fact, I have a similar One-Pot Tex-Mex Beef Mac & Cheese recipe that is made in one pot on the stovetop! No need to even boil the noodles separately.
I also have this Easy 30-Minute Taco Macaroni and Cheesewhich is a family favorite, made on the stovetop, and ultra cheesy.
To adapt this Instant Pot version of chili mac and cheese for the stove, follow these easy steps:
Step 1: In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, saute the onion in olive oil over medium-high heat, add the garlic, then add and brown the ground beef.
Step 2: Add the broth, macaroni, beans, spices, cover, bring to a boil, and simmer until the pasta is tender.
Step 3:Add the cheeses, stir them until melted before garnishing and serving.
Also Check: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Go Bad
By Step Tutorial For How To Make Mac And Cheese In The Instant Pot
How to Make Crunchy Topping in an Instant Pot
Pro Tip: After you make the crunchy topping in the Instant Pot, carefully wipe out the inside of the pot with a paper towel, and let it cool for 10 minutes .
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
How to Make Super Creamy Cheese Sauce for the Best Homemade Mac and Cheese
How To Freeze Mac And Cheese:
If you know you want to freeze your mac and cheese, make sure that you quit cooking while your pasta is still slightly firm a couple minutes before you would want to eat it.
Let cool slightly before covering tightly and placing in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To serve, I recommend thawing at room temperature for several hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
Then you can add a big splash of water, broth or milk, and reheat in the oven or on the stove top until heated through. Stir at least a couple times once the pasta starts to warm up.
Pin this recipe to save for later
Recommended Reading: Babybel Cheese Backpacking
Is Instant Pot Chili Mac & Cheese Spicy
No, my recipe for chili mac and cheese isnt spicy.
There is only 1 tablespoon of chili powder in the whole batch of chili mac & cheese.
However, if youd like to make it spicier my recommendations are as follows:
- Add 2 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- Add a pinch cayenne pepper when you add the other spices
- Use Hot Rotel in place of Original Rotel or canned diced tomatoes