Cooking Tips For Baked Mac And Cheese
- Boiling the pasta cook the pasta less than you normally would. I like to boil my elbow pasta for between 4 and 5 minutes. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, and you dont want it to get mushy.
- Use room temp liquids if you can cold liquids generally take longer to thicken than warmer ones. I usually set my milk and half and half out while the water for the pasta is coming up to a boil.
- The cheeses use your favorites! Our personal favorites are the cheddar and gruyere used in this recipe, but you can be very creative with the cheese selection here. Mozzarella, gouda, smoked gouda, swiss, monterey jack, colby jack, colby. There are plenty of reader comments down below the recipe that talk about the cheeses they used!
- Shred your own I know its a pain, and its SO tempting to use the pre-shredded cheese in the bags. But those bags of cheese contain a starchy substance that keeps the cheese from clumping which also prohibits it from melting as well as it should.
What Are The Best Cheeses For Baked Mac And Cheese
As I mentioned above, the secret to creamy baked mac and cheese is Velveeta cheese! This American cheese just melts smoother than other cheeses and gives the sauce that creamy mouthfeel that we’re all looking for. I’ve found that an equal ratio of cheddar cheese and Velveeta cheese yields the best of both worlds — a smooth, creamy mac and cheese with plenty of rich, sharp cheddar flavor.
If you like a combination of other cheeses, you can feel free to replace some of the cheddar with other good melting cheeses. Try Gruyere, Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack, gouda, smoked gouda, Swiss or mozzarella. The options are endless, so pick your favorites!
Did You Enjoy This Recipe Here Are Some More You Might Like:
Thank you so much for following along here, friends! Want to see more? Be sure to follow and tag me with your photo if you end up making a recipe! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the here! I always love to see your re-creations! If you do make a recipe, it would make my whole day if you were to rate and comment so I can get your feedback! Lots of love! Haylie
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last Refrigerated
Make It A Party With A Mac And Cheese Bar
I recently served the same set up for a holiday party and it was a total success. Here are few mac and cheese bar topping ideas for you to try or come up with a few of your own. Word to the wise: If youre serving the shrimp, double the amount! It was everyones fave.
- Chopped ham
- Cooked lobster chunks or crab
- Chopped bacon or pancetta
- Peas, carrots, or sweet corn
- Sun-dried or diced tomato
- Sautéed spinach or kale with garlic
- Garlicky buttered breadcrumbs
- Chopped scallions or braised onions
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Chopped herbs such as thyme or sage
How To Make Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese:
Preheat the oven to 375. Start out with regular elbow macaroni noodles and cook them in salted water Cook them al dente according to the directions on the back of the box. When the noodles are al dente, drain them and set them aside.
Begin making the sauce! The sauce requires lots of dairy. Main ingredients are: whole milk, salted butter and cheese. So, to begin, use the same pot as you did to cook the noodles in. On medium to low heat, you want to melt the butter and make a roux! Which is a fancy word for mixing flour in with butter and cooking until its fragrant. Next, slowly add in the milk a little at a time and whisk until thickened.
Youll probably whisk it for about 10 minutes and its totally worth it! Ive been impatient with homemade mac and cheese before and the sauce always turned out grainy and gross because I didnt allow the sauce to thicken. Make sure to NEVER let the milk come to a boil or it will curdle. If it begins to bubble, immediately turn down the heat and take it off of the eye and let it cool down for a few seconds.
Once the sauce has thickened, turn the heat down to low and add in your cheese! I used a combination of cheddar, pepper jack and gouda. Let the cheese melt and stir to combine using a wooden spoon. Try not to eat it all with a spoon. Add in your drained noodles. Stir it all together. Once again, try not to eat it all right then and there. Add plenty of seasoning and taste to adjust.
Recommended Reading: Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Domino’s
Make The Mac And Cheese Sauce
Next, prepare a roux by heating a large pot or dutch oven over medium/high heat, and then add butter. Then, when the butter is melted, add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble.
Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 4-6 minutes or until the roux thickens.
When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the cheddar gruyere cheese, and continue whisking until the cheese has melted.
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese
If you wind up with leftover baked mac and cheese, I recommend reheating it, covered, in the oven. You can also reheat mac and cheese on the stove with a little milk to prevent it from drying out. Youll want to use a heavy bottomed saucepan for this and should reheat the homemade mac and cheese over low heat.
Recommended Reading: Does Harry And David Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
Find Tons Of Other Dreamy Cheesy Meals In Ree’s Bestselling Cookbooks
And stir together until its all melted. Go ahead and turn off the heat.
Now its time for seasoning! Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt If youre sensitive to salt, start really low and work your way upand remember that the cheese imparts quite a bit of salt to the mix.
BUTand this is importantbe careful not to UNDERSALT the mac & cheese. It really needs ample salt to put the flavor over the top.
*I also use paprika, cayenne pepper, even ground thyme every now and then. Play with different ground spices and see what you like best.
And finally, add plenty of black pepper, of the Black Dust variety. Honestly, I love freshly ground pepperbut not in homemade Mac & Cheese. For me, it has to be the powdery stuff.
Now THATs what Im talkin about.
And guess what? You can just steam some fresh broccoli and spoon some of this over the top. Kids from all over the land will show up at your doorstep.
Did you know a single serving of broccoli is positively loaded with Vitamin C?
Now just dump in the drained, not-fully-cooked macaroni!
And stir the mixture together.
I use a little less than the full amount of cooked macaroni, because I love it extra creamy and coated. Just add it according to how you like it.
Now, you can either dish it up as it is right now, which makes for an ultra-creamy love fest
OR you can pour the macaroni into a buttered baking dish. This is a 2-quart dish, but a 9 x 13 pan would work just fine.
Kinda like this.
Make Awesome Baked Macaroni And Cheese With These Recipes + Tipsyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
They used tomatoes a lot, so a variety of the baked macaroni we know today combines these essential ingredients: pasta, meat, tomato sauce, cream sauce, and cheese. This cheesy ultimate comfort food that has the power to turn a frown into a smile is the iconic baked macaroni and cheese.
Don’t Miss: Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese: What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use
I honestly use different cheese combinations almost every time I make this mac and cheese recipe but the one I always come back to is sharp cheddar and Gruyere. If you cant find Gruyere, Jarlsberg Swiss cheese is the best substitute. Other cheese that work: mozzarella, jack cheese or pepper jack for a little zip, American and Velveeta as well for a creamier cheese sauce. This baked mac and cheese uses 6 cups of cheese so just
To add even more flavor to my homemade mac and cheese, I add Parmesan to the Panko topping so good!
Tips And Tricks For Making Jalapeno Popper Mac And Cheese:
- Pasta can be cooked ahead of time. Just toss it with a bit of olive oil, stir if occasionally as it cools, and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Panko can also be made ahead of time and stored on the counter in an airtight container.
- For a spicier Mac and cheese, leave the seeds in the jalapeño, and/or add more jalapeño. Alternately, you can buck tradition and add a Serrano or two. Swap out some of the cheese for pepper jack.
- For a more mild Mac and cheese, use less jalapeños, or use pickled jalapeños .
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon completely.
- For a meatier version, add some extra bacon. Also, 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken makes a great addition to the bacon as well!
CAN THIS MAC AND CHEESE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
- Make as directed, minus the panko topping , transfer to baking dish and cool completely. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate 1-2 days ahead.
- Before baking, let dish sit on counter for 30 minutes.
- Top with panko and bake at recipe temperature for 25-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
The panko topping on this Mac and cheese is optional, but I really like it since it really brings home that jalapeño popper flavor and texture!
I hope you give this comfort food classic with a twist a try soon!
Also Check: Philly Steak Papadia
Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
A combination of Gruyere and mozzarella cheese. Gruyerefor the most superior flavour with the best melting qualities for creamy sauces such as this theres no contention in my view. And mozzarella for stretch nothing does the cheese pull like a good mozzarella!
But honestly, any cheese that melts well works is excellent with Mac and Cheese, such as cheddar, tasty, Colby, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Emmental.
How To Make Baked Macaroni And Cheese
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 238,678 times.Learn more…
Macaroni and cheese is a classic meal, and for many people, it is a comfort food. It can be eaten for lunch or dinner, and can be reheated easily the next day. The typical way of making macaroni and cheese is in the pot, but why not take it a step further and bake it in the oven? The result is just as delicious, if not more, and has a delightfully crispy texture on top.
Can I Prep Mac And Cheese Advance
Ive found mac and cheese tastes best when it is baked fresh rather than baked and reheated so the cheese doesnt break and get greasy. If you want to make this baked mac and cheese ahead of time, assemble it all but DO NOT BAKE, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month. Then, pull out of the refrigerator or freezer and bake. Allow extra baking time for if its coming straight from the fridge or freezer.
This Southern Mac And Cheese Is Easy Here Are The Details
When it comes to a southern-style mac and cheese, there are a couple of things that are different.
First up, it uses eggs to help bind everything together, which makes it even simpler.
I also like to add a touch a cajun seasoning to mine, which adds a nice little southern kick. This is optional, but we find it extra delicious.
And lastly, the process. Its much simpler than you might ever imagine. Boil-off the pasta, while thats happening, whisk together the milk, eggs, the tiniest amount of sour cream, and that cajun seasoning. Now add the pasta and the butter and toss it all to combine.
You May Like: Can You Melt Babybel Cheese
Can You Bake Leftover Mac And Cheese
Yes, you can reheat leftovers in the oven or in the microwave. Cover the dish loosely with foil and reheat in a 325 degree F oven just until warmed through. You can remove the foil cover during the final few minutes to allow the top to brown or the edges to get crispy.
To reheat individual servings, just cover loosely and microwave for about 30 seconds .
Can I Freeze Macaroni And Cheese
I get asked that a lot and my answer is always no. As the pasta and cheese sauce sit, it will thicken and when you thaw it and bake it, the creamy consistency is just gone. Its thick and gloppy. Plus if you freeze it and its still a bit warm, water crystals will form and then thaw into your dish and could make it separate when you bake it. Besides, its so fast to make, theres not really a reason to freeze your macaroni and cheese.
Also Check: Where To Buy Brick Cheese
What You Need To Make Baked Mac And Cheese:
Really simple ingredients in this one, and lots of room to adapt the recipe to make it your own. For this macaroni and cheese recipe, youll need:
- Elbow Macaroni other shapes will work, as will whole wheat pasta. We havent tested this with a grain-free pasta, but it would probably work. Of course, the texture would be slightly different.
- 1 pound of shredded cheese we like extra sharp cheddar, but you can use many types of cheese. We always recommend shredding your own cheese fo the best texture , but pre-grated will work in a pinch.
- Flour this helps the mac and cheese thicken up.
- Ground mustard this is totally optional but it adds depth to the flavor. You can also use dijon mustard if you dont have ground mustard.
- Milk whole, 2%, skimtheyll all work
- Butter helps you get that golden brown top on the macaroni and cheese!
- Salt and Pepper always! You wont need a lot of salt since cheese is salty.
Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
There is absolutely nothing I love more than cheese. And when you add pasta to it? Fuggetaboutit.
Mac and cheese is one of those recipes that can take on so many different forms. I love it anyway I can get it but baked mac and cheese is my very favorite and Ill tell you why The topping. I use breadcrumbs for my topping occasionally, but, a Panko topped mac and cheese is just that much better.
I mix in Parmesan, butter, and paprika with the Panko so it crisps up beautifully and gets a nice golden brown color when this amazing homemade mac and cheese is baked.
Im going to be honest here. When I make mac and cheese, its the mac to cheese ratio that I am most concerned about. I love it when the mac and cheese is oeey gooey and the cheese sauce is just so creamy. GIMME.
With all this cheese going on in this macaroni and cheese recipe, I need a little help from my KitchenAid Deluxe Stand Mixer and its handy dandy Fresh Prep Slice/Shredder attachment. I picked up this beauty at Walmart this past week and I am in LOOOOOVE. I was torn between the options: SILVER | COBALT | PISTACHIO. But, when I pictured them in my kitchen, I knew I had to go with the cobalt its just stunning!
I use my stand mixer about 954 times each week. Being a food blogger and mom means Im in my kitchen a lot baking up goodies and whipping up amazing dinners like this homemade baked mac and cheese. I am always, always looking for help in the kitchen and the Kitchen Aid Deluxe Stand Mixer is the answer.
Don’t Miss: Can You Freeze Babybel Cheese
Recipes: Vegan What’s Up With That Jessica Seinfeld Tells Allyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Jessica Seinfeld became a vegan almost by stealth. The cookbook author and philanthropist started quietly making separate meals for herself without dairy or meat. “I just started doing it myself and experimenting with it and not talking about it and kind of seeing how I would feel,
Growing Up With Macaroni And Cheese: A Favorite
As a teen, we all became well acquainted with the boxed stuff, thrilling over the marvel and convenience of the powdery sauce which combined with milk to deliver the ideal after school snack for three busy young people on the go.
After I had my own kids, however, I quickly learned why my mother seldom ate Mac and Cheese. My kids loved it so much that I got burned out just from stirring those countless pots of pasta.
Recommended Reading: Babybel Refrigeration
More About This Recipe
- When youre craving homemade mac and cheese, this southern baked version is a wonderful option. It takes just 15 minutes to prep and 45 minutes of hands-off time, which means you can do more of what you want and spend less time standing over the stove. Not a macaroni connoisseur but ready to learn all the ways to make mac and cheese? We did the heavy lifting, delving deep on the cheesy details, so you can learn all about it before you begin. Who knew there were so many ways to make it? And if this baked mac and cheese recipe isnt your style, weve got lots more mac and cheese recipes for you to search through!