What Do You Need To Make Gluten Free Cheese Soup
To make gluten free cheddar cheese soup with ham you’ll need:
- Oil, Or butter
- Diced Onion- I love using frozen diced onion to save time
- Diced potatoes- you can leave the skins on, or peel the potatoes. It is a person reference. I like to use frozen southern style cued hash browns to save time.
- Diced carrots- Can use frozen carrots to save time
- Cornstarch, Or rice flour- this is how you’ll thicken your soup
- Gluten Free Ham, Diced- not all ham is gluten-free, but many are. Just red the label closely. This is a great recipe to use leftover Easter or holiday ham.
- Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
- Milk- You can use unsweetened dairy free milk if you’d like.
- Half & Half – You can use a dairy free half and half like ripple to make it dairy free.
- Grated Cheddar Cheese- You can use vegan/dairy free cheddar style cheese to make dairy free cheese soup.
More Vegan Soup Recipes To Try:
- If using unsalted vegetable broth, salt the soup to taste.
- You can shred fresh carrots or use matchstick.
- If you can’t tolerate coconut milk, you can use a different plain unsweetened non-dairy milk. You may need to add more chickpea flour to thicken.
- Add more broth and coconut milk in the same ratio to make a runner soup. To thicken the soup, add more chickpea flour.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. Reheat the soup on the stove over low heat before serving.
- To Freeze: Cool completely and freeze the soup flat in plastic freezer bags or a freezer-safe container. To reheat, thaw in the fridge and heat on the stove over a low simmer.
How To Make Low Carb Broccoli And Cheddar Cheese Soup
Cut the broccoli florets off the broccoli stalk as close to the head as possible. Leave the stems out.
Roughly chop the rest, making sure not to waste any of the broccoli.
We are not going to puree the florets as we want to get a chunk of broccoli in every bite of the soup.
Heat a tablespoon of butter or any other kind of fat that you like to add flavor to the soup.
Add one roughly chopped small onion, garlic, and broccoli stalks and fry until it starts to get some color or when the onions have caramelized.
Season with Himalayan 1 tsp pink salt, 1 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp parsley. You could also add some paprika, cayenne pepper or your favorite seasoning.
After about 5 minutes, add vegetable stock.
Simmer for further 5 minutes then transfer into a blender. Blend until thick and set aside.
Using the same saucepan and add a tablespoon of butter and cook the broccoli florets for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Once the broccoli florets have cooked, pour out the pureed soup that was blended and add 1 ¼ cups or 300ml heavy cream.
Stir and add one tsp of xantham gum, and 3 cups of your favorite grated cheddar cheese stirring non-stop.
Let it cook until the cheese has melted and its all one delicious creamy mixture then serve.
To make this keto broccoli soup heartier, replace the vegetable stock with bone broth.
If you experience difficulties with the cheese clumping when adding to broccoli cheddar soup, then here are some tips.
You May Like: Does Harry And David Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Thicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup Naturally
Believe it or not, the thickener in this gluten-free broccoli cheese soup is simply cheese. No flour, starches, or artificial thickeners are necessary for this one.
The heavy cream also reduces as it cooks, which helps very slightly with thickening. For this reason, I wouldnt recommend swapping out the cream with any kind of milk. It will work okay, but the result will be a lot less creamy.
Of course, the cheese does the majority of the work in thickening this broccoli cheddar soup recipe
When I discovered that shredded cheddar works so well, I honestly wondered why Ive never seen this before. Yes, its a teeny tiny bit thinner than a flour-thickened version, but its so much easier. And, its better for you, too.
No carbs, no fuss, and still creamy and delicious. Thats a win-win, and makes this top my list when it comes to broccoli and cheese soup recipes.
Is Campbells Soup Gluten Free
The Campbell Soup Company is an American producer and icon within the US food industry. They are mainly known for producing canned soups and related products that are sold in 120 countries around the world.
In this review, we will be focusing on Campbells Soups. Lets find out if they are gluten-free:
Don’t Miss: Widmer Specialty Brick Cheese
What Goes With Broccoli Cheese Soup
Need ideas for what to serve with broccoli cheese soup? There are many options, but I find that Italian flavors work very well in particular.
Here are some recipes to add to your meal with broccoli and cheese soup:
- Keto garlic breadsticks from the Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook youll also find a version of this easy broccoli cheese soup recipe in the book!
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup
To make this soup ahead of time and freeze for later, cook it according to recipe directions, cool it completely and divide it out in freezer-safe plastic bags and freeze flat until solid or in airtight freezer-safe storage containers for 6-8 months. To reheat, thaw completely in the fridge and then warm over a low simmer on the stove.
You May Like: Wisconsin Brick Cheese Vs Mozzarella
Simple Broccoli And Cheese Soup
This easy, creamy low carb broccoli cheese soup is probably the easiest recipe youll find. Its also gluten-free, healthy, and can be vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Ive even made it with bone broth before to incorporate the benefits of that.
Youll love that it takes just twenty minutes to prepare, so you can totally throw it together at the last minute on a busy weeknight. Its also an excellent choice as a starter for guests coming over without spending a lot of extra time.
It requires just a few simple ingredients. Best of all, they are so common that, chances are, you have most of them on hand.
Yep, broccoli and cheese soup with only five ingredients. Are you intrigued? All you need is:
- Chicken broth
- Shredded cheddar cheese
To be fair, this makes a very basic broccoli soup recipe. The ingredients and flavors are not complex.
This is intentional! I wanted to keep it simple so that its very accessible to just about anyone.
If you want to change it up, see my tips below on what to add to broccoli cheddar soup.
How Many Carbs In Broccoli Cheese Soup
Since most broccoli cheese soup recipes, whether they are homemade or at restaurants, contain starch as a thickener, they are not low carb. For example, Panera broccoli cheese soup has 19g total carbs and 15g net carbs in 1 cup.
In comparison, this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe has just 4g net carbs and 5g total carbs!
Also Check: Does Babybel Cheese Go Bad
Gluten Free Cheddar Cheese Soup With Ham
Yield: Cook Time: Total Time:
Easy gluten free cheddar cheese soup with ham is the perfect comfort food recipe to use up leftover ham. Thickened with cornstarch, this gluten free cheese soup is thick and creamy, and is the perfect gluten free soup for chilly weather.
- 2-4 tablespoons Oil, Or butter
- 1 large Onion, Diced, approximately 2 cups
- 4 Russet Potatoes, Diced, medium to large, approximately 6-8 cups
- ½ pound Carrot, Diced, about 2-4 small-medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch, Or 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 pound Gluten Free Ham, Diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Milk
Frozen Vs Fresh Broccoli Cheese Soup
How to make broccoli soup with fresh broccoli? What about frozen broccoli? The answer is you can use either one! The instructions are exactly the same .
TIP: The simmer time for the broccoli soup may vary depending on the size of your florets and whether they were fresh or frozen. Frozen broccoli is usually pre-blanched, so it might cook a little quicker once it thaws in the soup , but on the other hand, fresh broccoli doesnt need to thaw first .
No matter what kind you use, youll know its done simmering when the broccoli is soft and tender.
Read Also: Is The Wax On Babybel Cheese Edible
Pro Tips And Recipe Notes
- I recommend aged cheddar cheese that you grate yourself. Just give it a quick spin in the food processor. Zip, zip and its done. The pre-grated type that comes in a zip lock bag contains preservatives meant to keep the shreds from clumping together in the bag. It doesnt melt quite as well.
- I love the delicate flavor of this soup. There are a few add-ins you could go with. Cinnamon would be very nice with this soup. If you like some spiciness, a pinch of cayenne pepper will do the trick. Or you could add chopped bacon, bite-size cooked chicken or turkey, or cooked, diced potatoes . Its up to you.
- Have a cup on its own or pair it with this these amazing slow cooker pork chops, mouthwatering chicken and peppers, crispy salmon cakes, or perfect pan-seared steaks.
- To save leftover soup, let it cool and store it in an airtight jar. It will keep for three days in the fridge.
This cozy soup is like a warm hug. Make it today and relax. Everything is going to be all right.
Equipment Notes & Suggestions
This section contains affiliate links, which means I might earn a small commission if you place an order through them .
This recipe yields a substantial amount of soup . If you are serving two people or dont want a lot of leftovers, you could easily cut the ingredients in half. Heres what youll need to make it:
- I swear that soups always taste better when theyre cooked in a Dutch oven. I used my 5.5-quart Le Creuset for this recipe. A large, heavy-bottomed soup pot will also work well.
- Youll need a lid for the pot. In a pinch, you could use a metal baking sheet.
- If you are making the full batch, youll need to blend it in batches in your stand blender. I could not blend the full batch at once in my Vitamix. Transfer the blended portion to a heat-proof pitcher or container as you blend the rest, then combine it all in the soup pot.
- Or, you could use an immersion blender. The trouble with immersion blenders is that they never yield soup as creamy as you could accomplish in your stand blender. I wish it werent true!
Safety note: Never fill a stand blender past the maximum fill line, or you could end up with a giant mess . You need to know how your blender works. My lids design allows for steam to escape, but if yours doesnt, youll want to remove the center piece so the contents dont build pressure as they blend. Cover the hole with a tea towel, but dont place your hand over it because the steam is hot.
Don’t Miss: Dominos Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
How Do You Make Easy Broccoli And Cheese Soup
There are a few simple steps that to making this easy broccoli and cheese soup. To start you need to saute all your vegetables in a butter. Let them cook until they are fork tender but still slightly crunchy. Then you start to make a roux.
A roux is mixture of fat and flour that is the start of a sauce. In this case you add a bit of butter to your fork tender vegetables and allow it to melt. Then you add in your gluten free flour and combine it with the butter and vegetables in the pot. Allow it to cook for a minute or two.
Slowly start to add in your chicken broth. Stir to combine it with your vegetable roux mixture. Once it starts to thicken, add some more broth until you have used it all. At this point you can add in your spices as well.
Stir to combine them and bring to a slight boil. Add in your milk and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. You are just trying to heat the soup through since all the vegetables have already been cooked.
Take it off the stove, stir in your cheese and allow to cool slightly. Spoon into bowls and enjoy!
Tips For The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
Im thrilled that so many of you are making this easy broccoli cheese soup recipe! Along with my bacon wrapped asparagus, low carb cheesecake, and fathead pizza crust, its one of the most popular ones on the blog.
That being said, I also want to address any issues some people may be having. I truly want this to be your ultimate go-to broccoli soup recipe. So if youre having trouble , read these tips for best results.
For anyone that has problems with clumping during the cheese melting process in their broccoli cheddar soup, I have a few tips!
And if you want a super thick broccoli soup, see the section above on ways to achieve that.
You May Like: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Go Bad
So If We Didnt Use Flour How Did We Get Our Soup So Thick
In order for this soup to get nice and thick we did 3 things:
Cream based soups really dont need the thickening agent of the flour. Pureeing the soup before adding the cream will usually do the trick.
If you prefer your soup to NOT be so thick or you just want some bits of cauliflower, you can puree only half or ¾ of the soup leaving as many or as little chunks as you like. Or you can add another ¼ cup of chicken broth to thin it out a bit.
I prefer mine on the thick and smooth side so I pureed to my hearts content.
For these photos we obviously used an orange cheddar cheese. There is no right or wrong cheese like ever . so if you want to keep the traditional white creamy look of the cauliflower soup go ahead and use white cheddar.
Either way this soup is sure to please!
- 2 ½ Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Head Organic Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 Medium Organic Potato, peeled and diced
- ½ Cup Organic Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Organic Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon dried Chives
Creamy Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
A proper gluten free broccoli cheddar soup is a beautiful thingand it is not cheese fondue. Does it sound like taking a spoon to a heaping bowl of warm, melted cheese might be a delicious experience? Please for the love of Mike take my word for it: its not delicious past the first bite. This gorgeous, creamy broccoli cheddar soup is, indeed, soup. It can be ladled into a bowl quite easily, and delivered to your mouth spoonful by spoonful without a fuss. And itll fill you up without making you feel ughstuffed.
It starts the way all good creamy soups start, with a roux. And its that roux that does most of the thickening for us, not the cheese. A roux is just a fat-and-flour mixture that thickens liquids, and I like to start the roux in this soup with butter. You can start yours with an equal amount of extra virgin olive oil, though. No problem.
A note about the broccoli: I believe that the very worst thing you can do to broccoli is to overcook it. So to save the broccoli from that fate, I dont cook it in the soup. Instead, I blanch the broccoli very quickly in some stock, juuuuust until it turns bright green.
Don’t Miss: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ready to see how to make broccoli cheese soup without added carbs or weird ingredients? Its super simple, just a few easy steps:
- Saute garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven. It takes about 45-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped broccoli. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10-20 minutes.
TIP: The simmer time will vary depending on the size of your florets. Smaller florets = faster simmer time.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese gradually, stirring constantly, and continue to stir until melted. This will help thicken the soup.
TIP: Avoid having the heat too high when adding the cheese or after, to avoid seizing. See more tips about how to make broccoli cheese soup perfectly, without carbs and without clumping, below.
OR, go with my preferred method to avoid clumping altogether
- Puree the broccoli into the soup along with the cheddar cheese using an immersion blender. I like to remove about 1/3 the florets using a slotted spoon first, so that you can toss the florets back in afterward and have some broccoli pieces in your soup.
TIP: The more broccoli you leave in before pureeing, the thicker your broccoli soup will be. The cheese helps thicken your broccoli cheddar soup, but the pureed broccoli florets will, too!
If youre curious about what my older pictures of homemade broccoli cheese soup looked like, here is one:
This rich broccoli cheese soup is quick and easy with just 5 ingredients!