Mac And Cheese Sauce Versatility
Love this sauce and want to mix things up? Here are some ideas on how to repurpose this sauce for something other than mac!
Use on any noodle all out of macaroni noodles? You can literally use 1 lb. of any noodle under the sun!
Nachos we love using this sauce on top of nachos. Think loaded nachos with all the fixings + this cheese sauce.
Burgers/Sandwiches how good would this easy mac and cheese sauce be on top of a burger or sandwich?! Im drooling.
Chili Mac and Cheese mix this cheese sauce with 1 lb. of noodles and a batch of homemade beef chili for some chili mac! Check out our sister sites Chili Mac and Cheese recipe!
Dip when I dip you dip we dip. Grab your favorite tortilla chip and dip away!
More of our Favorite
Cooking Tips For Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
Ive tested this recipe more times than Id like to admit, and through all those trials and errors, Ive come up with a few helpful tips.
- Spray the crockpot. I know it might sound weird, but it really helps keep the pasta from sticking too much to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use the right liquids. For most of my attempts, I was using regular, whole milk, and every time it would thicken way too much and sort of seize up on me. Ive found that a mixture of chicken broth, evaporated milk, with a little heavy cream for richness, yields the best creamy sauce.
- Grate your own cheeses. I know I know. Its SO tempting to open a bag of pre-shredded cheese from the store and Ive done it on occasion. But most commercial pre-shredded cheeses are coated in cellulose, which essentially keeps the cheese from all clumping together in the bag. Ever noticed how bags of pre-shredded cheese that are coming up on their expiration date usually have clumps of cheese stuck together inside? Its because the cellulose is just about gone from the cheese. That coating prevents the cheese from truly melting down into a gloriously gooey cheese sauce, and can leave your sauce a bit on the gritty side.
How To Make A Bread Crumb Topping
Combine the following and sprinkle over your casserole before baking.
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
This recipe makes an extra saucy creamy macaroni. Do not over-bake this recipe. You want it creamy and rich, over-baking will cause it to dry out. I find that 20 minutes is perfect in my oven, the cheese sauce will thicken slightly while standing.
Read Also: Lemon Tree Dwelling
Can I Use Pre
Pre-shredded cheeses are mixed with either potato starch, powdered cellulose, and natamycin, or a combination of the three to prevent clumping. These agents have an impact on how the cheese melts. The best mac and cheese uses freshly shredded cheese as they melt better, but pre-shredded cheese can also be used in a pinch. The results may not be as velvety smooth, but itll still taste delicious.
Southern Baked Mac & Cheese
There are three major takeaways from Millie Peartree’s famous baked mac & cheese.
Salt and pepper, to taste
If you dont like sharp cheese please feel free to use mild or any other cheese you like
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese is surprisingly easy and quick!
How To Make Mac And Cheese In One Pot:
There are a few tips and tricks for making a one pot mac and cheese that are different from the traditional way. Here are some pointers for best results!
- Use a combination of broth and whole milk or light cream: this is the best way to get a creamy sauce that is still smooth. Since the sauce will simmer for quite a while, you need a higher fat dairy that wont curdle. If it does heat too quickly and curdles, just keep cooking and stirring and it will smooth out.
- Dont overcook the pasta: its important to stir every few minutes and keep an eye on things as mushy pasta is not appetizing for anyone!
- Be a little flexible with your liquid: different liquids and different pastas will cook differently, so if you find that your liquid has mostly absorbed and your pasta is not cooked through, add a splash of broth of cream! Add it slowly and gradually and you cant really go wrong. Learn to go with your gut if you think it needs more, add a bit more.
- Keep in mind that the cheese will thicken the sauce considerably, so you want quite a bit of liquid remaining after the pasta is cooked. If you need to, add a bit more when you add the cheese to make the sauce come together
You May Like: Alessi Balsamic Reduction
The Best Stovetop Mac And Cheese Recipe
I should probably say right now that this recipe is the real deal. Because on the special occasions when I indulge in creamy mac and cheese, Im not interested in healthy shortcuts. Gimme all the carbs + all the cheese, please. ?
Lets talk about this delicious recipe thats ready to go in about 20 minutes from start to finish and only requires one pot.
For most of my homemade mac and cheese making life, Ive always done the two-pot method one for cooking the pasta, and one for making the cheesy sauce which totally works! But dishes have always been the bane of my existence. AND when I started posting on Instagram about my macaroni and cheese recipe experimenting this month, I heard from many of you who recommended the one-pot method. Because apparently cooking the pasta in the sauce itself releases all of those starches into the saucewhich makes it extra creamyand also helps bind the sauce to the pasta even better. Also, the entire process only takes about 15 minutes to cook. And also, no need to wash the extra pan.
Sounded like a win-win-winwinwin to me.
Sure enough, after testing a few batches, Im now a total convert to the one-pot camp. Works like a cheesy charm! ?
Also, lets talk about your cheese options here.
Also, if you want an even creamier mac and cheese, youre welcome to use half cheddar, and half gouda or fontina . But 99% of the time, I keep things simple with straight cheddar and never regret it.
The skys basically the limit here.
Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese
The Chunky Chef09/30/2019
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite recipe, loved by both children and adults. It uses a combination of cheeses, layered in the dish as well as melted into a rich and creamy cheese sauce, for the ultimate in cheesy deliciousness! Perfect for a comforting dinner or as a holiday side dish!
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
Baked mac and cheese. Its nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations! In fact, I almost didnt post this recipe, as there are SOOOO many mac and cheese recipes available, and most people already have their favorite way of making it.
Of course, theres no right way or wrong way, so Im here sharing the way I like to make my mac and cheese .
You May Like: Roth Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Best Mac And Cheese Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
No matter if youre making stovetop mac and cheese or baked mac and cheese, this is the best mac and cheese sauce on the internet!
Made with simple ingredients such as a mac and cheese roux, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, this cheese sauce for mac and cheese is creamy and scrumptious.
Obviously, if youre on this site you are a cheese lover. I mean, we are The Cheese Knees after all!
Every cheese website deserves to have a signature mac and cheese sauce thats easy to make, creamy, and perfect on any noodle! PS: if you havent tried our classic mac and cheese, you need to now!
What Is A Mac And Cheese Roux And Why Do I Need It
A roux is essentially a way to thicken a sauce or liquid. You need a fat and a flour in order to make this thickening agent and then you need to heat it to activate it.
The reason why you dont want to skip the roux for this mac and cheese sauce recipe is that the roux is what helps make it thick and luscious.
Copycat Cracker Barrel Restaurant Mac And Cheese
If youve ever tried Cracker Barrels macaroni and cheese, you probably wanted to recreate it at home. Elbow macaroni is mixed with a creamy homemade cheese sauce, then baked just long enough to get some of those crispy edges that make Cracker Barrels version so beloved. And we have the secret recipe.
Creamy One Pot Macaroni And Cheese
I have all kind of macaroni and cheese recipes on the blog, and today I have a Creamy One Pot Macaroni and Cheese to add to the collection. This is a great recipe to make for lunch when your kids are in the mood for something simple, hot, and filling, and you need something that comes together in without any fuss. This recipe is so easy and we loved the extra creamy results.
This recipe is extra easy because you cook the macaroni right in the milk that helps to make the sauce. Theres no water to boil or noodles to rinse. You just cook it all in one pan and its done in about 15 minutes. This is literally just as easy as that blue box stuff, but it tastes like real food and doesnt have a fluorescent orange glow to it. Trust me, that fake mac n cheese is just gross once you start making your own.
My other stove-top macaroni and cheese recipe is still a favorite, but I dont always have canned milk on hand. The difference between the two is that this recipes makes a really thick and sticky macaroni and cheese , and the other recipe has almost a runny sauce to it. They are both excellent but different enough that I wanted to share both recipes.
Don’t Miss: Do Babybel Cheese Melt
How Do You Store Leftover Red Robin Mac And Cheese In The Fridge
You may keep any leftovers of this Red Robin mac and cheese dish in the refrigerator in a container that seals tightly and doesnt let air in. Because it becomes more viscous as it cools, you might need to stir in 12 tablespoons of milk when you reheat it to get it back to its original creamy consistency. It may be stored in the refrigerator for up to two to three days without spoiling.
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese Step By Step Photos
Start by shredding an 8oz. block of sharp cheddar. Its very important to shred the cheese yourself instead of using pre-shredded cheese. For more information on that, see the section above the recipe titled Avoid Pre-Shredded Cheese.
Next, boil 8oz. of macaroni according to the box directions . Drain the macaroni in a colander.
You can start the cheese sauce either while the macaroni is boiling, or wait until its draining and just make it in the same pot to save on dishes. Add 3 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, and ½ tsp onion powder to the pot.
Place the pot over medium heat and allow the butter to melt. Whisk the butter, flour, and onion powder together as the mixture begins to get bubbly and frothy. Cook and whisk for about one minute after it becomes bubbly.
Whisk 2 cups of milk into the butter and flour roux. Continue whisking as the milk begins to heat .
Allow the milk to come up to a gentle simmer, at which point it will thicken to the consistency of heavy cream or gravy. Turn the burner off at this point.
Season the sauce with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp hot sauce, or the seasonings of your choice .
Begin adding 8oz. shredded cheddar to the pot, one handful at a time, whisking until it is completely melted before adding more. If the sauce cools down too much to continue melting the cheese, you can put it over low heat briefly, but avoid allowing the sauce to simmer again. Overheating cheese sauces will cause them to break and become grainy and oily.
Read Also: Plating Ideas For Sandwiches
Ingredients & Possible Substitutions For Stovetop Mac And Cheese:
- Butter: a fat is needed for creating the sauce. Oil can be used as a substitute if needed for dietary reasons, however, butter is recommended if possible for flavoring.
- Flour: all purpose flour is used for creating the sauce, this makes the cheese sauce nice and thick. If needed some substitutions are: cornstarch, tapioca, flour, or a gluten free all purpose flour.
- Milk: any type of milk will work in this recipe. Keep in mind that a dairy whole milk will provide a creamier sauce. You could also use a half and half
- Cream Cheese: this ingredient is added to add stabilization to the cheese sauce. This helps prevent the sauce from breaking during reheating if there are leftovers. It also creates a smooth, creamy finish to the sauce. If needed it can be left out but keep in mind that reheated leftovers will be a bit greasier.
- Cheese: Use your favorite cheese! A blend of cheeses using a sharp cheddar and parmesan is a great blend. Other options would be to use a gruyere, or a sharp white cheddar.
- Seasonings: use more or less to taste.
Easy Homemade Mac And Cheese
This Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe is made with 8 ingredients in 15 minutes on the stovetop ! Time to ditch the boxed mac and cheese for this irresistibly creamy, smooth & cheesy homemade recipe!
I have six kids and a husband with a taste palate of a 12-year-old-boy, which means we eat a lot of mac and cheese in our house. A lot of mac and cheese.
So naturally I created this easy homemade mac and cheese recipe so that we could consume less of the boxed varieties. Because I really care about feeding my family healthy meals that they actually enjoy! And did I mention that they love mac and cheese?!
Once you taste this homemade mac and cheese you and your family will say “goodbye” to powdered cheese forever, and say “hello” to this creamy dreamy real-cheese version again and again!
This homemade mac and cheese recipe is made with only 8 ingredients in 15 minutes! That’s the same amount of time it takes to make the boxed varieties, but with no preservatives or artificial ingredients!
Also Check: Does Babybel Need To Be Refrigerated
Easiest Baked Macaroni And Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easiest ever baked macaroni and cheese this is a go-to recipe of many of my readers and it will become the same for your family!
This is the easiest ever macaroni and cheese! And so delicious!
Variations On This Skillet Mac And Cheese:
- Add different seasonings: hot sauce, ground mustard, cayenne, paprika, and Italian seasoning are all popular additions, but feel free to get a little crazy and see whats in your spice cupboard that would give it that extra little something.
- Salt and pepper to taste: I generally err on the side of less salty if possible, because its easy to add salt later. Taste once its cooked and adjust as necessary.
- Add in vegetables: if you want them cooked, or slightly cooked, add during the cooking process with the pasta. Vegetables like spinach that will soften quickly can be stirred in with the cheese.
- Add in cooked meats, like this Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Chicken Taco meat or saute meat in the same pan before adding the liquid and pasta. This is a great way to add additional protein!
Don’t Miss: Babybel Cheese Melts