The Best Foods For A High
The best high-protein breakfasts start with protein-rich foods. Our recipes below feature high-protein breakfast foods such as:
- nut butter
- protein powder
Read on to discover nearly three weeks worth of mouthwatering high-protein breakfasts that deliver exactly what your body needs for breakfast. Combine that with these best-ever ways to boost your metabolism and youll reach your body goals in no time!
Protein Punch: 24 gramsYoull Need: 2% Plain Greek Yogurt, fresh strawberries and blueberries, sugar, mint leaves, granola
Not only is this recipe great for breakfast, but its so decadent, you could even enjoy it for dessert! The protein in this recipe comes from two sources: the homemade granola contains 4 grams of protein per serving while 7 ounces of Greek yogurt contains 20 grams of protein.
Greek yogurt has double the protein compared to traditional yogurt due to the straining process, says Amidor. In addition, it is low in lactose and a fermented food which provides live, active cultures that may act as probiotics and keep the gastrointestinal system healthy. All the more reason to dig in!
Get our recipe for Greek Yogurt Parfaits.
Protein Payout: 24 gramsYoull Need: Black beans, eggs, feta cheese, salsa, avocado, cumin, lime, hot sauce, salt, pepper
Get our recipe for Black Bean Omelets.
Go Sweet Or Go Savory
Cottage cheese has a neutral taste profile, so you can sweeten or spice it up. Top a serving with fruit slices or drizzle on a fruit puree for a dessert-like treat. Add a scoop to a bowl of greens and sprinkle with your favorite herbs to turn a side dish into a light main course. Use it as a high-protein filling for omelets, crepes, or stuffed peppers.
What Causes Weight Gain
In its simplest form, weight management can be summed up by a short equation: calories in calories out. The first number represents the energy that you introduce into your body via the food that you eat. The second number represents the energy that you burn naturally throughout the day, and when you exercise.
If the result of this equation is a positive number, it means that you are consuming more calories than you are burning, also known as a caloric surplus. The excess calories that you consume are stored as fat around the body and this is what makes you gain weight over time.
The number of calories that an individual should aim to consume will depend on their gender, age, height, weight, activity levels and overall goals. Because of this, two people can have very different calorie requirements. You can use the tool below to calculate an estimate of the number of calories that you should be consuming.
This calculator will never show a number below 1000 calories per day. Please speak to a qualified health professional before attempting to eat less than that.
For example, a 40 year old lady who weighs 75 kg , is 170 cm tall and exercises 4 times a week should aim to consume approximately 2250 calories to maintain her weight and 1800 calories to lose weight.
The amount of calories in foods differs, depending on what they are made up of. Those that are mainly made up of water tend to be low in calories and those that have a lot of fat tend to be high in calories.
Also Check: Babybel Cheese Wax Edible
When Does Cottage Cheese Work Best For The Weight Loss Diet
There are plenty of recipes available online which allow you to integrate cottage cheese into almost every meal you plan to enjoy. Here are the basics of weight loss cheese eating.
A breakfast rich in protein can help you have enough energy to start the day. You can create a healthy pancake, or mix it into smoothies to increase the ingredients protein content. A banana split becomes healthier by adding cottage cheese. Also, you can substitute butter or mayo and create a light-calorie sandwich.
How about a cottage cheese salad sauce instead of the regular high-calorie dip? Tuna and chicken salad increase its taste with such a sauce. If you prefer a to-go lunch, a whole grain slice of bread with cheese and avocado slices. You can even top a baked potato with the cottage cheese.
Snacks should be light enough to help you stick with the weight loss plan, while it also fills you up for a few hours. You can create a balanced snack by mixing cottage cheese with pineapple slices, fresh pears or mango.
Widespread use of cottage cheese is as a substitute for ricotta in lasagna. Combine a dip with pasta sauces to enhance their taste. Also, use the cheese as a dip for guacamole, or baby carrots and celery sticks, next to cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes.
At a Party
How Is Ricotta Flavored
Also Check: Hazen Meats
Helps Keep Your Thyroid In Tip
In addition to its calcium and protein content, cottage cheese is rich in essential minerals like selenium.
A research review suggested that folks with thyroid disease can benefit from selenium supplementation. While that *doesnt* mean you should go grab a bottle of supplements, it highlights the importance of noshing on selenium-rich foods for the sake of your thyroid.
Risks And Side Effects
Can you eat cottage cheese every day? As long as youre not lactose intolerant and your diet is varied, this shouldnt be a problem.
However, there are a few things you should know:
- Consuming very high amounts of protein may contribute to kidney problems, so consider sticking to a daily intake that doesnt provide more than you need.
- It may cause problems if you are lactose intolerant. Issues include diarrhea, bloating, cramps, gas and an upset stomach. Lactose intolerance ultimately makes digesting dairy products a pretty big challenge for some. While your doctor can help, you may need to avoid dairy altogether. You can find lactose-free versions in the grocery store.
- It may cause allergic reactions. If you experience hives, itching, swelling and/or breathing trouble, make sure to stop eating it immediately and contact your doctor.
- It may raise your blood pressure due to its high sodium content. If blood pressure is a problem for you, make your own to keep your sodium intake in check.
Don’t Miss: Babybel Expiration
Mozzarella Is Filled With Goodness Of Cow And Buffalo Milk
Originating in Italy, this cheese is loved by people across the world and is used in several baked items, including the beloved pizza.It is soft and chewy and made of cow and buffalo milk.Protein, calcium, and phosphorous are found in high quantities in this cheese, making it highly nutritious. Good bacteria in it aid in improving gut health and build immunity.
Why Cottage Cheese Is Super Healthy And Nutritious
Cottage cheese is a low calorie cheese with a mild flavor.
Its popularity has grown in the last few decades, and its often recommended as part of a healthy diet.
Cottage cheese is not only high in protein but also essential nutrients.
For these reasons, its widely used by athletes and in weight loss plans.
This article explains why cottage cheese is so good for you and includes ways to incorporate it into your diet.
Cottage cheese is soft, white, and creamy. Its considered a fresh cheese, so it does not undergo an aging or ripening process to develop flavor.
As a result, it has a very mild flavor compared with aged cheeses.
Cottage cheese is made from the curds of various levels of pasteurized cows milk, including nonfat, reduced fat, or regular milk.
Its also offered in different curd sizes, usually small, medium, or large.
Moreover, its available in creamed, whipped, lactose-free, reduced sodium, or sodium-free varieties.
You can enjoy this versatile cheese by itself or as an ingredient in recipes.
Cottage cheese is a soft, white cheese with a mild flavor. Its a fresh cheese offered with different milk fat levels and curd sizes.
The nutritional profile of cottage cheese varies depending on the level of milk fat used and amount of sodium added.
One cup of low fat cottage cheese provides the following (
It also has decent amounts of vitamin B6, choline, zinc, and copper.
Notably, protein accounts for over 70% of the calories in cottage cheese.
Recommended Reading: Can Babybel Cheese Go Bad
May Reduce Blood Sugar Level
People suffering from diabetes keep themselves away from daily products. But cottage cheese/paneer is an exemption as it contains magnesium which regulates blood sugar levels & contains low carbs which make good food for a diabetic. It also reduces drastic fluctuations in sugar levels by slowing down the release of sugar in the blood.
Read Also: How To Make Baked Mac And Cheese Easy
Lean Beef And Chicken Breast
Although processed meat is unhealthy, studies show that unprocessed red meat does NOT raise the risk of heart disease or diabetes . According to two big review studies, red meat has only a very weak correlation with cancer in men and no correlation at all in women .
The truth is meat is a weight-loss friendly food because its high in protein. Protein is the most fulfilling nutrient, by far, and eating a high-protein diet can make you burn up to 80 to 100 more calories per day .
Studies have shown that increasing your protein intake to 25% to 30% of calories can cut cravings by 60%, reduce desire for late-night snacking by half, and cause weight loss of almost a pound per week just by adding protein to the diet .
Also Check: Does Babybel Cheese Need Refrigeration
Ideas For Eating Cottage Cheese
When you think of dieting and cottage cheese, you may picture a scoop of cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf topped by half of a canned pear. But cottage cheese does not have to be boring. When you incorporate cottage cheese into your plan, consider it to be an important source of nutrition that will help you meet your goals.
- Top a baked potato with cottage cheese and salsa.
- Layer parboiled zucchini ribbons with cottage cheese and a meaty pasta sauce. Top with mozzarella and parmesan and bake for a pasta-free, protein-rich lasagna. You can substitute a meat free sauce to create a high protein vegetarian entree.
- Blend a half cup of oats, 2 eggs, a third cup of cottage cheese and a splash of water. Pour the batter onto a hot skillet and cook like pancakes. Add sliced banana or strawberries before flipping. Top your protein pancakes with warm apples or blueberries and enjoy a decadent, wheat-free pancake breakfast.
- Blend cottage cheese with pumpkin. Stir in cinnamon, ginger and cloves to taste for a healthy pumpkin pie substitute.
- Create a savory cottage cheese dip by mixing pepper and fresh herbs with cottage cheese. Serve with cherry tomatoes, sliced bell peppers and planks of yellow squash.
- Dress up the classic cottage cheese fruit salad by adding an assortment of luscious fresh berries, sliced apricots, pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of honey. Add walnuts or sliced almonds for healthy fats.
You May Like: Does String Cheese Go Bad If Not Refrigerated
Easy To Add Sweet Or Savory Flavor
If you dont like the taste of cottage cheese, its ok to add some healthy ingredients to it to change the texture and taste of it. You can even add cottage cheese to some recipes and you wont even know its in there.
For example, you can add cottage cheese to a smoothie or use cottage cheese to make high protein pancakes.
Either for a snack or as a meal, add a fiber and healthy fat source to cottage cheese. Adding fresh or dried fruit can add some sweetness or adding a dusting of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Adding in nut butter or nuts can add a healthy fat source to complete the meal or snack.
You can use cottage cheese in place of cream cheese or sour cream. Spread cottage cheese on some whole grain toast and top with a tomato slice and avocado. Add cottage cheese on top of a salad or in other savory dishes to add a creamy element.
You May Like: How To Say Acai In Spanish
It Is Important To Note
Due to its content, as weve shown it in the nutritional breakdown section, cottage cheese may trigger side effects to those sensitive to some of its compounds.
Too much protein may contribute to kidney problems because it decreases the waste removal function.
People with dairy allergies may encounter side effects due to the cheese casein content. Some symptoms include skin reactions, breathing trouble, facial swelling or anaphylaxis.
Those with lactose intolerance cannot digest sugars from dairy products. Ingesting cottage cheese might lead them to diarrhea, bloating, cramps, an upset stomach, and flatulence.
Excessive sodium accounts for hypertension.
Cottage Cheeses Curd Appeal
Those white lumps give this fresh cheese its distinct appearance. You can buy it in large-curd or small-curd varieties. The smaller nuggets are about a quarter inch in diameter. The big ones measure up to 3/8 of an inch. Its the size of the knives used in cottage cheese production that determines the size of the curd. The nutrition profile is the same either way. Its just a matter of personal preference or what your recipe requires.
Also Check: Alessi Balsamic Reduction
This Risk Of Having A Stroke Will Decrease
Aside from other nutrients, cottage cheese contains potassium. This supports the water balance in the body, decreases anxiety, and takes part in the propagation of neural impulses. Eating potassium regularly, decreases arterial pressure and, as a result, the risk of having a stroke. Eating dairy products, including cottage cheese, prevents something called metabolic syndrome that is connected with having cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
Give Props To Protein
You’ve probably heard that eggs make a good breakfast when you’re trying to lose weight because they keep you full. Cottage cheese may work just as well as eggs, according to a July 2015 study published in Appetite.
This study, which compared the satiating power of eggs versus cottage cheese in a small group of volunteers, found that they both helped control hunger and concluded it was related to the protein.
Like the calories, the amount of protein in cottage cheese varies depending on the amount of fat. A 1-cup serving of full-fat cottage cheese has 25 grams, low-fat has 28 grams and nonfat has 15 grams.
Getting 25 to 30 grams of protein at a meal may be the target number for appetite control and weight loss, according to an April 2015 review article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, making the low-fat cottage cheese a good choice.
Upping your intake of protein also helps preserve muscle while you lose the fat on your weight-loss diet. Muscle burns more calories than fat, and keeping more of it while you lose weight may limit a slowdown in your metabolism.
Read more:Different Ways to Eat Cottage Cheese
You May Like: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
Feta Cheese Is Rich In Calcium And Protein
This crumbly cheese originated in Greece and is prepared with goats or sheeps milk.The best thing about feta is that it blends with any ingredient easily.Its tangy and creamy taste makes it a winner, although the downside is its high sodium content.It goes well with salads and in veggie dips, too.Feta cheese can also help you manage your weight.
Myths About The Impact Of Cottage Cheese On Weight Loss Diets
- Fat-free cheese is better. You might forget the essentials of the challenge in your race to lose pounds. Cottage cheese comes with sufficient advantages per se. Fat-free cottage cheese products have a higher amount of sodium, which is unhealthy. A sodium-rich diet might lead to kidney damage and cardiovascular disease. If you plan to limit sodium, choose cottage cheese without salt addition and add some flavor by pairing it with fresh sweet fruit.
- An exclusive diet has no side effects. You might encounter articles which promote a cottage-cheese restrictive low-calorie diet. They might even suggest that you lose a pound per day or two pounds within a week. As per any menu which only discusses a quick weight loss plan without considering your health, you will soon meet the yo-yo effect. Two-days diets are just meant to have a short-term impact, rather than adjusting your body to a new weight and some new meal habits. Extreme diet restrictions actually increase food cravings.
- Everyone can make cottage cheese at home. Yes, cottage cheese can be made at home. However, the recipes and techniques are not available for anyone. The method is delicate and involves a process which requires close monitoring. Also, homemade cheese is so fragile that you will need to eat it within less than five days. Branded products typically go through a standardized process which involves close attention. Minimize risks by choosing branded cheeses.
You May Like: Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Ingredients
Cottage Cheese And Sodium
You can cut calories and fat from your diet and promote healthy weight loss by substituting cottage cheese for other foods. Here are some suggestions:
- Add cottage cheese to your morning smoothie.
- Top cottage cheese with fresh berries, mango, or pineapple for a healthy snack.
- Substitute cottage cheese for mayo in chicken salad and egg salad.
- Substitute cottage cheese for sandwich spreads like mayo or for butter on toast.
- Substitute cottage cheese for ricotta cheese in lasagna.