Recipe Variations To Try
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza boasts the same tantalizing toppings youll find in cheese steaks: thinly sliced steak, gooey melted cheese, sautéed onions, bell peppers and mushrooms .
You can also add any of these common toppings :
- sweet peppers
So, while Ive kept this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza recipe simple feel free to add whatever toppings your heart or belly desires!
Ingredients For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Toppings
Heres all the delicious gourmet pizza toppings for my version of Philly steak pizza
- 1 ball pizza dough
- A little olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley to sprinkle on top at the end
Other pizza toppings you can add
- Peppers and mushrooms are a pretty classic cheese steak topping, so feel free to throw some fresh or sautéed mushrooms on top as well.
- Provolone cheese is a great substitution or addition to the cheese blend.
- Bell peppers of any color will work. Orange and red peppers are on the sweeter site, whereas green bell peppers are a bit more bitter.
- Any onions will work.Caramelized red onions are another great choice. Walla Walla yellow onions are sweeter and perfect on top, as well.
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Step 1: marinate steak. Marinating the steak is essential because it is where the characteristic flavor comes from and it tenderizes the beef. Our marinade consists of a simple mixture Italian dressing, Worcestershire, garlic and red pepper flakes.
Step 2: slice beef thinly. You want to slice the steak as thinly as possible. You can also ask your butcher to do this for you on their meat slicer or here are some tips:
- sharpen your knife before slicing the beef
- freeze your beef for 60 minutes to make it easier to slice thinly
- slice your beef as thinly as possible, 1/8 thickness or less
- slice your beef across the grain
- make sure your skillet is smoking hot before adding your beef so it will sear on the outside and remain tender on the inside
Step 3: saute onions and steak. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add steak with marinade to the skillet and let cook on one side without disturbing, then proceed to saute for 2 minutes or until meat is barely browned. You dont want to overcook your steak or it wont be as tender. Keep in mind the steak will continue to cook in the oven.
Step 4: add toppings. Spread Alfredo sauce evenly over the pizza dough followed by mozzarella cheese, steak and onions, green peppers, and mushrooms and one more cup cheese.
Step 5: bake pizza. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. I then like to broil for a couple minutes to toast the cheese.
Also Check: Is Cheese High In Purines
How To Reheat Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
You can warm it in the oven by first placing the pizza slices on a baking sheet and covering it with aluminum foil. Place them on the lowest rack of your preheated oven, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 275 degrees F. You can also reheat your homemade pizza using a microwave without making it tough! Just make sure to microwave your pizza slices together with a cup thats half-full of water for around 30 seconds. The water makes sure that your microwave evenly heats the pizza, and not just the toppings or the crust.
Make your own Philly cheesesteak pizza with our Dominos-inspired copycat recipe! No need to order or line up for a taste of this delicious combo pizza.
Tips For The Best Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- You need to cook the veggies in advance for a few reasons. First of all, this helps them release their moisture and keeps your pizza from getting soggy. You also get a sweeter depth of flavor from the onions than we would if we put them on the pizza raw.
- Another couple things to prevent a soggy crust are to put a cheese base down on your pizza sauce before any other toppings, and to let all the juices drain off your meat and veggies before adding them to the Philly cheese steak pizza.
- You can also use leftover cooked sirloin steak on your pizza. Just skip cooking it in the skillet, and add it with the cooked veggies on top of the pizza. This is best with steak that is rare or medium, not well done, since it will cook 10 minutes in the oven. Another great way to use up steak is our leftover steak tacos recipe!
Also Check: Where To Buy Cabot Cheese
How To Store Leftover Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
In an airtight container, alternate layers of leftover pizza slices with parchment paper or foil. If you store in the refrigerator, it can last for up to 4 days. If you wish to store it in the freezer, you may use the same method but with an added outer layer of aluminum foil. Your homemade pizza will be good for 1 to 2 months in the freezer.
How To Make Philly Cheese Steak Pizza:
The dough for this pizza comes together fairly quickly with a mix of cream cheese, mozzarella, egg, and almond flour.
Roll it out between some parchment paper and bake it for about 10 minutes to let the crust firm up a bit.
When its time to top the pizza, youll want to cook up some thinly sliced steak. I used ribeye, but you can use a cheaper cut if you prefer.
Cook the steak until its just browned on the outside. Its going in the oven too, so you dont want to turn it into leather.
After the steak is browned, toss some onions and peppers in the hot skillet and let those soften and brown a bit.
For the sauce, Im using cream cheese. Just plain old cream cheese. Its creamy, rich, and perfect for this!! Have faith.
Pile on the steak, veggies, and a little more cheese. Shredded provolone is good, if you can find it. Mozzarella works well too.
Pop this back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so to melt the cheese and finish off the crust and then its time to dig in!
Love Philly cheese steaks? Give my Philly cheesesteak casserole a try next!
Read Also: Who Moved My Cheese Audio
What Is On The Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Dominos Pizza announced this week that it would roll out a new Philly Cheese Steak Pizza nationwide on September 2 marking the first new Dominos pizza since January of 2000. As its name suggests, the new creation will be made with premium sirloin steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and a layer of provolone cheese.
What Sauce Goes With Philly Cheesesteak
Peppers and onions with melted cheese is the only sauce you need. Yeah I like straight sriracha spread liberally on the bread. While it isnt a chipotle mayo sauce, I have been known to put garlic aioli on my cheese steaks. Cant go wrong with more garlic.
Don’t Miss: Who Moved My Cheese By Spencer Johnson
How To Make Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Start by making the pizza dough .
While the dough rising, prepare the topping/sauce. Slice the steak into strips about 1/8-inch wide. Then sauté over medium-high heat until slightly browned and juicy with most of the pink color gone:
Remove the meat from the pan. Then add the onions, green peppers and mushrooms . Sauté for a few minutes until slightly softened with the edges of the onions starting to brown or caramelize. Remember, they will cook a bit more in the oven, just like the steak.
Now youre ready to assemble the pizza. Preheat your oven to 450°F and grab a pizza pan or large baking sheet. Once the dough has doubled in volume, punch it down. Next, stretch it out on the pan to about 12-14 inches in diameter. Brush with oil and poke all over with a fork:
Last but not least, sprinkle the American and provolone cheeses evenly across the dough. Then sprinkle the steak and veggies on top. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheeses are melted and the crust is golden around the edges:
What Type Of Cheese Is Best For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
There are a few different cheeses used for Philly Cheese Steak: American Cheese, Cheeze Whiz and provolone. For this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza, I chose to use Alfredo sauce and mozzarella. The mozzarella melts to buttery cheesy, ooey gooey perfection. You may also layer the Alfredo sauce with provolone if you prefer.
Recommended Reading: Can You Bring Cake To Chuck E Cheese
Whats On Dominos Philly Cheese Steak
Each sandwich has beautifully sliced portions of steak that are placed onto our tasty bread. Then we add layers of traditional cheese steak vegetables, including fresh onions, green peppers, and, of course, mushrooms. Once the steak slices and vegetables have been placed, its time to add the cheeses.
Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Sticks Recipe:
- Start by chopping up some green bell peppers and onions, then sauté them in a skillet with just a little butter.
- Unroll some refrigerated pizza dough and cut into mini rectangles.
- Top each slice of pizza dough with some provolone cheese, deli roast beef and your sautéed peppers and onions.
- Wrap them up, brush with butter and bake!
There is major debate on the actual components for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.
Some say there are no peppers, some say there are no onions, some say that only authentic Philly Cheesesteaks have cheese whiz, NOT provolone cheese.
To this I say, just do what makes you happy!
This recipe reflects what I think is a delicious sandwich stuffed into some pizza dough. It might not be the most authentic recipe out there, but it tastes AMAZING!
Recommended Reading: Is Cheddar Cheese Good For Diabetics
How To Reheat Pizza
The best method for reheating pizza is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 and place your pizza on a baking sheet. You can line it with parchment paper for easier clean up if youd like. Once the oven is up to temp, cook the pizza in it for 8-10 minutes, until you can smell it.
The cheese should be almost bubbling and hot, even in the center, and the crust should stay nice and crispy.
Assemble And Bake Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Now Ill walk you through using a pizza stone to cook Philly pizza, but you can find directions on cooking pizza on a sheet pan in the recipe at the bottom of this page.
Help pizza dough rise in advance The morning-of making the pizza, move the dough from the fridge to a countertop. At a minimum, take the dough out of the fridge a couple of hours before making this pizza recipe .
Step 1. Preheat oven to 460ºF and preheat pizza stone. Consult your pizza stone to ensure the cooking temperature is safe and appropriate for your particular brand.
Step 2. Stretch the pizza dough. Check out the Sip Bite Go guide to stretching pizza dough for visuals or watch this pizza recipe video at the bottom of this page. There are also tips for you in the recipe card notes.
Step 3. Assemble pizza. Take the pizza stone out of the oven and brush half the olive oil on the pizza stone. Carefully add raw pizza to the hot pizza stone. Add the pizza toppings right on top of the raw pizza dough.
First, brush olive oil on the outside crust of the pizza in a circle shape. Then add sauce to the center of the raw pizza dough leaving 1 on the outside for the crust.
Sprinkle on the cheese. Top with cooked steak slices and sautéed onions and peppers.
Step 4. Bake pizza. Add pizza to the oven and bake at 460ºF for 10-15 minutes . Pizza is ready when cheese has completely melted and is starting to bubble. The bottom of the dough should be golden brown.
You May Like: What’s The Best Mozzarella Cheese For Pizza
This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Is Your Favorite Sandwich In Pizza Form
This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is cheesy, meaty, comfort food at its most addicting. It starts by layering pizza dough with Alfredo Sauce followed by mozzarella cheese, juicy steak, bell peppers, mushrooms and more cheese then baked to golden bubbly perfection. This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is fabulous game day food, party food, company food or just a fun dinner any night of the week. Prepare to fall in love with your new favorite way to eat Philly Cheese Steak!
Philly Steak Pizza Ingredients
This cheesesteak pizza comes together so easily! Heres what youll need to make it:
- Steak marinade: The steak marinade is a combination of Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Sirloin or flank steak: Slice the steak very thinly against the grain.
- Alfredo sauce: Store-bought or homemade works perfectly!
- Mushrooms: Slice the mushrooms thinly so they bake fully in the oven.
- Red onion: I prefer red onion as it stands up to the other flavors better.
- Green pepper: Green bell peppers are my personal favorite when making Philly cheesesteak anything.
- Mozzarella cheese: Makes this alfredo sauce pizza ultra gooey.
- Pizza crust: Store-bought or homemade works. Your choice!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Macaroni Cheese
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
This Philly Steak Pizza recipe is CRAZY GOOD. Like so crazy good that Patrick and I kept murmuring crazy good over and over again in between bites as we stuffed our faces with this crazy good pizza.
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza is an ode to my absolutely favorite Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. I crave this meaty, cheese sandwich so much that Ive already made Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and Philly Cheesesteak Soup. The only way to possible make this dining delight even more delicious?! Make it into Philly Cheesesteak Pizza!
The sautéing of the steak, onions and peppers only takes about 5 minutes and the layering can be done in a flash, so that makes this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza the ultimate quick, easy and uber delicious dinner especially if you have made the Perfect Homemade Pizza Crust beforehand and either refrigerated it or frozen it for times like this when the Philly Cheese Steak Pizza craving just wont go away which for me, is pretty much all the time!
I apologize in advance if you develop a craving problem after eating this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza. But then again, its a delicious problem to have. And your family will love you for it because your problem means more of their favorite pizza, because if you all love Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, this will be your new favorite pizza!
What Is On A Dominos Philly Pizza
The Dominos Philly pizza is made up of the Dominos signature dough, layered American cheese, green peppers, onions, Philly steak, mushrooms, and then provolone cheese.
And it is the combination of cheeses that give this pizza its particular taste.
The American cheese is mild, salty, and creamy while the provolone cheese is rich and sharp but not too strong. It also has a somewhat sweet finish to it too.
Of course, then you have the other ingredients too.
Green peppers provide the aromatic flavor, onions provide a bit of everything and the Philly steak provides that meaty, peppery flavor.
Throw it all together and you have a flavorsome pizza that simply does not need any sauce!
Besides, the typical Dominos tomato sauce would be too much!
Hence why they leave it off!
Recommended Reading: What To Use Goat Cheese For
How To Reheat Cheesesteak Pizza
To reheat pizza in the oven:
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place baking sheet in oven and heat at 450 degrees F until hot, about 10 minutes. If you would like a chewier crust, then heat to 375 degrees F.
- Transfer pizza to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until heated through. Once the cheese starts bubbling then you know youre good to go.
To reheat pizza on the stove:
- Add slices of pizza to skillet and over loosely with the lid.
- Heat over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
To reheat pizza in the microwave:
- Microwave at 20 seconds intervals until heated through. Be aware that the crust will loose crunch in the microwave.
Why Its The #1 Homemade Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- Fool-proof. Im Jenna, a pizza expert, and I will teach you all my tricks!
- Use leftover steak as a pizza topping. Or make steak for pizza .
- Learn what sauce on Philly cheese steak pizza tastes the best.
- Tastes better than delivery pizza like Dominos or Papa Johns Philly cheese steak pizza.
- Every bite is SO YUM. Seriously. Scroll to see the pics!
Also Check: How To Melt The Cheese In A Grilled Cheese
The Perfect Pizza Crust
In constructing the dough for this recipe, I wanted to create a crust that would remind me of the familiar roll that serves as the vehicle for my beloved sandwich. I needed something light, yet chewy and substantial enough to withstand the weight of all that steak and cheese.
If you havent attempted to make pizza crust before it can be a bit intimidating. But, Im here to preach that it is beyond worth the trouble. Heres a few tips to get you started:
Give the Dough Sufficient Time to Rise
The time your dough spends rising is time spent developing flavor and texture. Rushing the process will only result in a dull dough that wont properly rise during cooking. Be patient.
Flavor Your Dough
This dough recipe is simple but that doesnt mean you cant jazz it up. I love adding a couple dashes of seasoning to create dimension. Try onion powder, garlic powder or dried oregano! Add in your seasoning during the stretching process.
How to Stretch the Dough
Dont be stingy with the flour! Coat your surface heavily and add more as needed. Gently use a floured rolling pin to roll out your dough. Then, use you hands to gently work your dough to get your desired shape.
Make Ahead of Time
If you find yourself wanting to make pizza but dont always have the time I would suggest making your dough ahead of time.
To thaw, place the pizza dough in the refrigerator overnight and roll it out when youre ready!