Make The Cheese Sauce
While the macaroni is cooking, make the cheese sauce. It’s really easy but there are a few notes that we’ll go over to ensure your success!
Make a Roux
This homemade mac and cheese sauce starts with a roux. What is a roux? It’s a mixture of fat and flour that is used to create thick sauces. Start by melting the butter and then adding the dry ingredients .
Use a whisk to combine the ingredients until the mixture is homogenous . Let it cook for about 60 seconds before moving on!
Add wet ingredients.
After the roux has cooked for 60 seconds, add the milk and whisk the mixture really well. Add the sour cream or Greek yogurt and whisk again. At this point the mixture will be fairly runny. Cook over medium heat whisking every 10-15 seconds until the sauce starts to thicken.
Do NOT let this mixture boil! If you do you may end up with a mac and cheese sauce that is too thick. Once the sauce has thickened enough to stick to a spatula, turn the heat to low. Then it’s time for the next step…
Add the cheese & whisk until smooth
Add the cheese and whisk until the sauce is smooth and all the cheese is melted. This will take 1-2 minutes over low heat. At this point it is important to taste the cheese sauce and adjust the salt/garlic according to your tastes!
What You Need To Make Baked Mac And Cheese:
Really simple ingredients in this one, and lots of room to adapt the recipe to make it your own. For this macaroni and cheese recipe, youll need:
- Elbow Macaroni other shapes will work, as will whole wheat pasta. We havent tested this with a grain-free pasta, but it would probably work. Of course, the texture would be slightly different.
- 1 pound of shredded cheese we like extra sharp cheddar, but you can use many types of cheese. We always recommend shredding your own cheese fo the best texture , but pre-grated will work in a pinch.
- Flour this helps the mac and cheese thicken up.
- Ground mustard this is totally optional but it adds depth to the flavor. You can also use dijon mustard if you dont have ground mustard.
- Milk whole, 2%, skimtheyll all work
- Butter helps you get that golden brown top on the macaroni and cheese!
- Salt and Pepper always! You wont need a lot of salt since cheese is salty.
What Pasta Should I Use For Macaroni Cheese
Obviously macaroni cheese is traditionally made with macaroni , and thats what I used here, but you definitely dont have to stick to macaroni if you feel like using something different. I dont often have macaroni in the cupboards, so I usually use a bigger pasta.
Ideally, you want to use a pasta shape that will hold the sauce and maximise cheesiness in every bite. Spaghettis not a great option, for example the sauce will just slide right off it. Pasta shapes that are hollow or ones that have ridges are great for holding that sauce!
Once youve chosen your pasta, just boil it up in plenty of water until its cooked al dente. It will cook a little more in the oven, so dont overdo it.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Cheese Dip In The Microwave
How To Thaw And Cook Unbaked Frozen Mac And Cheese
When baking uncooked mac and cheese after freezing, you do not have to thaw it. Thawing it will decrease the cooking time, however, you can just place the frozen dish into the oven to work its magic if you are not in a hurry for it to cook.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 375 °F .
Step 2: Defrost
If you are cooking the mac and cheese after freezing, skip this step and go straight to step 3.
To defrost your macaroni and cheese in the microwave before cooking it, you need to ensure it is in a microwave-safe dish. Remove the foil. Use the defrost setting on the microwave which is equal to 30% power. Check the dish after seven minutes and continue to defrost for a few more minutes, if needed.
Once thawed, cook it in the oven straight away.
Step 3: Cover With Foil
Whether frozen or thawed, remove any cling film wrapping from your dish and cover the top with foil only. Set the dish on a baking tray to prevent any cheese or juices from melting or dripping onto the base of the oven.
Step 4: Bake
Make sure the oven is heated completely to 375 °F before placing the mac and cheese inside to cook. Bake the foil-covered dish for 25 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the dish and whether it has been thawed.
Step 5: Remove Foil and Bake
Step 6: Remove and Cool
Once the top is golden brown, remove the mac and cheese from the oven. Switch the oven off. Let the dish cool for a few minutes before serving as it will be piping hot.
What Is The Best Recipe For Baked Macaroni And Cheese
Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Add cheddar and American cheese to the milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted. Place the pasta and cheese sauce in a 2 liter baking dish and stir well. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
You May Like: When Was Chuck E Cheese Made
What Else Can I Add To My Macaroni Cheese
This recipe is for a simple, but amazing macaroni cheese. But as I mentioned before, I do often add extra bits and pieces to my cheesy pasta. Here are a few examples of ways you could jazz up this classic macaroni cheese recipe to make it a bit different:
sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds etc. for an extra crunchy topping add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and artichokes for a Mediterranean-inspired flavour stir through some roasted vegetables before baking for heaps of extra flavour throw some frozen veggies in to boil with the pasta to add nutrition with no extra effort blend up a tin of white beans and stir it through the white sauce for added protein try adding different cheeses blue cheese, crumbled feta, smoked cheddar, etc. bake your macaroni cheese across a couple of shallow dishes to maximise surface area for that crispy topping!
As you can see, there are all sorts of ways to personalise your dinner but this ultimate macaroni cheese recipe is definitely a good place to start!
- 1tspdried parsley,to garnish
Tips For The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
- Use block cheese and shred, do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is great for so many things but not macaroni and cheese. Its coated and wont melt properly. You need to shred it yourself for the best result.
- Cook your pasta to slightly less than al dente, about one minute shy is perfect. The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the homemade cheese sauce in the oven. You dont want soggy macaroni.
- I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular past will work.
- This mac and cheese recipe starts with a roux. The roux is super important to getting the creamiest cheese sauce of your life. Here is what you need to look for:
- The roux is whisked together until bubbly and golden.
- Whisk in cold milk not warm to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Cook the roux until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheese.
Recommended Reading: What Is On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Special Equipment For This Recipe
- Instant Pot I recently upgraded to this model and I love it!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
More About This Recipe
- When youre craving homemade mac and cheese, this southern baked version is a wonderful option. It takes just 15 minutes to prep and 45 minutes of hands-off time, which means you can do more of what you want and spend less time standing over the stove. Not a macaroni connoisseur but ready to learn all the ways to make mac and cheese? We did the heavy lifting, delving deep on the cheesy details, so you can learn all about it before you begin. Who knew there were so many ways to make it? And if this baked mac and cheese recipe isnt your style, weve got lots more mac and cheese recipes for you to search through!
You May Like: How Much Are Coins At Chuck E Cheese
Tips To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Cook your pasta al dente as the noodles cook extra in the sauce and you dont want them mushy.
- Dont forget to salt your pasta water.
- While not everyone agrees with rinsing the pasta after cooking, in this particular recipe it stops the noodles from cooking and the sauce is created with a texture that pairs perfectly with the rinsed noodles.
- A sharper cheddar cheese will add a stronger cheese flavor.
- Pre-shredded cheeses contain additives to keep it from sticking together which affects the way it melts. The sauce is best if you shred your own cheeses.
- Allowing the baked macaroni and cheese to rest for a few minutes after baking will thicken the sauce.
- Most importantly of allDo not over bake this recipe.
When cooking your macaroni noodles, cook them according to the package directions but you want them to be still firm. If your package says 6-8 minutes, just cook them 6 you get the idea. I choose not to top this baked macaroni casserole with a bread crumb mixture but if you really like bread crumbs on your macaroni and cheese, by all means, add some!
How To Make Cheese Sauce For Mac And Cheese
Read Also: Is String Cheese Good For Dogs
How Do You Make Mac And Cheese Easy
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and salt. Add the milk and pasta to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is smooth, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts. To attend.
Making Boiled Elbow Macaroni
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Provolone Cheese
The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
The BEST Homemade Mac and Cheese of your LIFE. Outrageously cheesy, ultra creamy, and topped with a crunchy Panko-Parmesan topping, this mac and cheese recipe is most definitely a keeper. I used three different cheese and a homemade cheese sauce to take this macaroni and cheese recipe over the top. Love cheesy recipes? Make sure to try this Lazy Day Lasagna and Cheesy Kielbasa Rice and Broccoli Skillet next week for dinner!
This post is sponsored by Walmart and SheKnows Media.
Making Mac And Cheese Ahead Of Time
- Make as directed , transfer to baking dish and cool completely. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate 1-2 days ahead.
- Before baking, let dish sit on counter for 30 minutes.
- Bake at recipe temperature for 25-35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
As a caveat, this recipe, as with most mac and cheese recipes, loses some of its creaminess when made ahead. This dish has been tested when made right away, which yields the best results.
I would increase the amount of sauce slightly if you need to make this recipe ahead of time.
Recommended Reading: Who Sells Cheese Crust Pizza
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni And Cheese
No need for a flour-and-butter roux in this easy stovetop version of an old favorite: The cream cheese adds body and richness. If your mac and cheese gets a little stiff as it cools, just stir in some warm water to smooth it out it works like a charm.
Get the Recipe: Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
What Is A Good Recipe For Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Combine milk and eggs in a large bowl. Add butter, bell pepper, cheese and cheddar cheese. Carefully add the pasta mixture. Pour into a 1/2 liter saucepan. Bake for 15 minutes or until lukewarm. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over it. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Read Also: What Cheese Has The Lowest Cholesterol
Where Can You Find Kraft Mac N Cheese
Method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the pasta and save. Editor’s Note: For Chicago homeowners. Melt 3/4 of the butter in a saucepan and gradually add it to the milk over low heat. Add the cooked noodles and spices, stir and cover the noodles. Pour the coated noodles into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
How To Make Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
Read Also: What Kind Of Wine Goes With Fruit And Cheese
How To Freeze Mac And Cheese
Mac and cheese can be frozen either before baking, or after it has been cooked. Freezing the dish before baking results in a creamier dish once cooked as it has not been heated up twice. Doing this, however, is only possible if you are making an extra batch for future catering.
If you need to freeze leftovers from an already cooked batch, that is perfectly fine too. Creamy versions of mac and cheese are ideal for freezing as they have more sauce keeping the pasta moist when reheating.
Who would want to send any cheesy goodness to the bin when it can be enjoyed again by simply preserving it in the freezer?
Perfect Mac And Cheese In 5 Steps:
You May Like: Where To Buy Daiya Cheese