What Is A Chopped Cheese
If youre wondering, what is a chopped cheese, well, its basically a loose meat sandwich made with ground beef thats cooked with grated onion and bell pepper, then chopped up with melted cheese. But for this chop cheese sandwich, weve lightened things up a bit by using ground turkey instead of ground beef. It still has the amazing New York chopped cheese style flavor but with less fat, cholesterol and calories. Apparently the chopped cheese sandwich origins can be found in corner stores and markets in the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, New York. Its often compared to a cheeseburger, Philly cheesesteak, and even Sloppy Joes.
Chef Chris Scott Serves His Version Of The Signature Nyc Sandwich At Butterfunk Biscuit In Manhattan
While it doesnt receive as much nationwide recognition as the City of Brotherly Loves cheesesteak, New York Citys signature beef-and-cheese sandwich is just as deserving of your appetites attention.
Served hot off the grill at delis and local sandwich shops around the city, the chopped cheese is most prevalent in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan, and is believed to have originated at a bodgea on the corner of 1st Avenue and 110th Street commonly known as Hajjis.
Typically served on a a round roll or a hero, the budget-friendly sandwich combines ground beef, onions and melted cheese to form a homogenous mixture thats usually topped with lettuce, tomatoes and condiments.
Though the chopped cheese may sound similar to a cheesesteak, chef Chris Scott, a Philadelphia native, cautions against confusing the two signature sandwiches. Being from Philly, to me, its like night and day. Its beef and cheese but its so very different because of the cut of meat and definitely the bread, he says. Also, I dont really put ketchup on a cheesesteak. Some do, but its usually a blend of ketchup and hot sauce. And you definitely dont put mustard on a cheesesteak either. And I dont believe that provolone is ever used either on a chopped cheese. As far as flavors concerned, it is kind of like a Philly cheesesteak. Its also kind of like a cheeseburger. If you think of those two sandwiches having a kid, it would be chopped cheese.
Easy Garlic Mozzarella Cheese Balls Recipe
Image credits: Ninik Becker via Youtube
These garlic mozzarella cheese balls from Ninik Becker on Youtube are not just easy to make but also packed with amazing flavors! Its soft, tasty, and will surely make your mouth water. Its also super cheesy perfect if you love cheese! Share this recipe with your family or friends! Watch the video tutorial below to learn the step-by-step process.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp soft unsalted butter
You May Like: How To Make The Best Mac And Cheese
How To Make Air Fryer New York Style Chopped Cheese Recipe
Add the hamburger patties to the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 9 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway during the cooking process.
While the hamburgers are cooking, add the butter to a small skillet, and add the diced onions and jalapenos peppers. Saute until the onions are translucent.
Cut your hamburger patties into small pieces and add the chees on top. Return to the air fryer, and cook for a couple of minutes, at 300 degrees F, air fryer setting, until the cheese is melted. Toss in the jalapenos and onions, as well.
Best Chopped Cheese Sandwiches
New York Citys Chopped Cheese Sandwich with chopped beef burgers, melted gooey cheese, caramelized onions, topped with tomatoes and shredded lettuces, and hugged by a toasted hero roll. This is the classic way to make the iconic NYC chopped cheese. It reminds me of Philly cheesesteak, but even better!
You May Like: Is Feta Cheese On Keto Diet
Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe
When I was a child, my favorite sandwich was Chopped Cheese Sandwich. Whenever my mom makes something which I dont like I told my mother to make Chopped Cheese Sandwich, somewhere it was a kind of sweet memory for me.
Now, I have become an adult, I miss those things which I use to do in my childhood to annoy my mother and today, only I was thinking about what I use to do an idea came into my mind to recall my childhood.
My mother served me food in the afternoon and I started saying I dont want to eat this, I want the Chopped Cheese Sandwich and I started beating the dining table and my mother went to the kitchen and made me a Chopped Cheese Sandwich. While eating it, a thought came into my mind that I should share the Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe with you all.
Today, I going to share Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe. But here are some other amazing recipes that you should definitely try.
1. Bacon Sandwich Bacon sandwich is just the right breakfast meal for meat and sandwich enthusiasts. It has crunchy strips of roasted bacon along with fresh vegetables and toppings. This makes it a great breakfast sandwich.
2. Pastrami Sandwich Pastrami Sandwich is also considered as New Yorks signature sandwich. I had my first Pastrami sandwich in one of New Yorks restaurants. Since then, I crave for the sandwich as good as they serve.
What Is In The Sandwich
After checking some online sources , I realized that a chopped cheese sandwich had simple ingredients. Ground beef, onions, American cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise and ketchup on a toasted hero are the basic ingredients.Its pretty flexible though. Some people add peppers, bacon and other condiments like hot sauce or barbecue sauce. In a pinch, some people even use rolls instead of hero bread.
Read Also: Does Babybel Cheese Melt
You May Like: What Kind Of Sauce Goes On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
What To Serve With Chopped Cheese
The easy chopped cheese sandwich goes great with traditional sandwich sides like potato chips, baked beans, and coleslaw or of course, our top-rated air fryer french fries!
My Best easy coleslaw is an excellent, fresh side dish for your chop cheese.
My bean bake also makes a hearty and filling side dish for these tasty sandwiches.
If you want something a little lighter, my baked sweet potato chips are a great option.
You can find more of our favorite side dishes:
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Scallops Recipe
- The Best Yeast Rolls Recipe
- Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- The Best Corn Chowder Recipe
- Khachapuri Georgian Cheese Bread
How To Chop Burgers
The key to chopping your burger patties is to let them cook for a few minutes so theyre easy to cut through. This is especially important if youre using a frozen patty as the bodegas do. A steel spatula will be easiest. Youll need to chop it up lengthwise and widthwise, until it looks like ground beef. Now, if youre wondering, why not just use ground beef?, you absolutely can! For bodegas cooking quickly, the burger patties are already portioned out. But if youre at home cooking for the family, this recipe can totally be made using ground beef, and you may even have some leftover!
Read Also: How Many Calories In Vegan Mac And Cheese
Recipe Ingredients And Substitutions
- Ground Beef:I prefer my chopped beef burgers on the greasy side so I use ground beef with 15%-20% fat. However, if you want to go leaner, go for it!
- Seasoning: The only seasoning you need are salt and black pepper. If you’d like, you can add a little garlic powder too.
- Hoagie:Chop cheese is usually served on a hoagie roll. Resist the temptation to serve it in a hamburger bun!
- Cheese: My son insists on using Kraft American cheese, which is traditional. However, I give you permission to use cheddar, pepper jack, or whatever cheese you prefer. Shhh, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him! Each sandwich will have 2 slices of cheese, so you’ll need 8 slices for four sandwiches.
- Condiments:A classic chopped cheese has mayo and ketchup. Sometimes, hot sauce is also added.
- Veggies:Juicy sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuceare added to the sandwich just before serving it.
How To Make It
Quick, easy, beefy, and cheesy. Yes, please!
Melt the butter. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Toast the bread. Open the rolls and place in the skillet inside side down. Cook until golden and lightly toasted. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Cook the onion. Melt the remaining butter in the pan and stir in the onion. Cook until slightly softened.
Form the patties. Form the ground beef into four loose burger patties of equal side.
Season the patties. Move the onions to the side of the pan and add the beef patties to the skillet. Season the top of each Pattie with the salt, garlic and pepper.
Sear the patties. Cook the patties until a deep brown seared crust has formed and then flip the patties over. Continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until seared.
Cook the beef. Using a spatula, break the burger patties up and begin mixing the onions into the beef. Continue cooking until no longer pink.
Assemble, and enjoy! Divide the burger mixture into four equal portions and top with two slices of cheese each. Turn the heat off and allow the cheese to melt. Transfer each portion to a roll. Top with tomato and lettuce.
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Lactaid Cottage Cheese
How To Make Our Easy Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
To start these delicious sandwiches, slice open all of the hoagie rolls.
Then in a large skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.
Once the butter is melted, place the hoagies on the skillet to toast the inside surface of the hoagie. This should take about 2-3 minutes to become slightly golden brown, then set them aside.
Now, add the rest of the butter to the pan and saute the diced onions until they are translucent, just about 3 minutes or so.
Then move the onions to the side in the pan and add the ground beef in the pan like one big patty.
Allow the meat to brown for 3-4 minutes without breaking it up.
Then season the meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then flip the large patty over to sear the other side of the meat and allow it to continue to keep cooking for another 2-3 mintues.
After 2-3 minutes, begin breaking up the meat with a spatula and start to include the onions back in with the meat.
Continue to chop and cook the meat until the meat is no longer pink.
Then divide the meat into 4 different portions in the pan and then top each portion with 2 slices of cheese.
Allow the cheese to melt while it sits in the skillet.
Now get your hoagie rolls and spread the mayonnaise and ketchup on the inside of the bus, and then top it off with the beef and cheese mixture.
Then finish off your sandwich with your favorite toppings and then serve!
The Cheapest Sandwich Ever
Breville Juicer Reviews: Toast For More Healthy Drinks!
Have you ever before obtained an experience with Breville juicers? Now permit me to offer you a date with this noticeable juice fountain maker brand by means of among Breville Juicer Reviews. In this manner, you can be familiar with even more of its interesting attributes as well as features that kept a lot more family members delighted and also healthy.
Two Must Have Items For Busy Moms Who Dont Have Time To Cook
This article will certainly discuss why I assume every busy mama requires to possess a pressure stove as well as a crockery pot slow stove. If you possess these 2 useful kitchen appliances, you can make quick as well as healthy dinners for yourself and/or your family members quickly level!
What To Make With That Leftover Holiday Ham
In this post I offer you numerous concepts on what you can make with your remaining vacation ham as well as how you can freeze your ham correctly for later use. If you like pork, This ideas will be a blast saver for you.
Amaranth: Soak It For Maximum NutritionPeking Duck Two Authentic Cooking Methods
Peking duck has come to be a globe popular recipe. It is the symbol of Peking food. If you go to Beijing, there are two things you should do initially: one is going up the Great Wall surface and also the 2nd one is eating perking duck.
Why Rubbermaid Collapsible Food Storage Containers Are the BestCooking at Home TV Cooking Shows for the Chef in All of Us
You May Like: What Cheese Do They Use In Nacho Lunchables
How To Make Chopped Cheese
Hello Foodies, welcome to our site www.checkmyrecipe.com, Today you will learn that How to make Chopped Cheese at Home New York Style Step by Step with Photo and Video Tutorial Guide,
This is so Easy and Delicious Homemade Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe, So letâs follow the following steps of this New York Style Recipe :-
|How to make Chopped Cheese|
7g of instant dry yeast
8g of improved texture and flavour
120g of Whole Milk
1 whole beaten egg about 60g
50g of Vegetable or Canola Oil
All purpose Seasoning made up of salt, garlic, oregano and turmeric
3 slices of yellow American cheese
New York Chopped Cheese Sandwich
The Chopped Cheese sandwich originated in New York, and has spread to every corner of the country. Here’s the recipe with a southern twist, so you can make your own at the next family BBQ.
Head over to our YouTube Channel to see Kosmo make this delicious sandwich with a little ASMR thrown in – WATCH NOW!
Also Check: Is Cottage Cheese Good For Cancer Patients
Making The Best Chopped Cheese Sandwiches What You Will Need
- Ground beef- 1 pound
- Yellow onion- 1 medium-sized, diced
- Pickled peppers- Â½ cup, chopped. Additionally, you can add pepperoncini
- Mild cheddar cheese- 6 ounces, shredded
- Hoagie rolls- 2 six-inch rolls, toasted or warmed on a grill pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Topping options- Tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, lettuce, mayonnaise, mustard.
How To Make Easy Chopped Cheese Sandwich
To make this recipe, youll need:
- Hamburger Patties Bodega grill masters use whatever frozen, pre-formed burger patties they have on hand. Use a high-quality patty from your favorite grocery store. The great thing about using a pre-formed patty is that you already have the correct serving size already measured.
- Bell Pepper Green bell peppers are traditionally the cheapest bell peppers and are a standard in the chop cheese sandwich. Bell, or sweet peppers, are the only member of their genus that doesnt create capsaicin, the chemical that creates the sensation of hot in spicy peppers.
- Onions I like to use sweet Vidalia or white onions, as has a less strong onion flavor.
- Hoagie Roll Hoagie, or hero, rolls are the traditional bread for this sandwich. Look for freshly baked rolls that have a nice crust and soft interior.
- Butter I like to use sweet Vidalia or white onions, as has a less strong onion flavor.
- Cheese Use Kraft Deluxe American Cheese. Dont overthink it, literally nothing melts better than American cheese. Use it.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder Salt and pepper are indispensable seasonings for beef. Garlic powder adds a great, earthy flavor that is a great complement to the onion and bell pepper.
- Condiments These sandwiches are traditionally finished with shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Theyre great with your favorite hamburger condiments: ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.
Once youve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
Don’t Miss: What Is A Good Substitute For Gouda Cheese
What Is Chopped Cheese
The chopped cheese sandwich was first introduced in New York City and sold in local small shops, known as a bodega. Thanks to its popularity, this simple and delicious sandwich soon became incredibly popular in the other areas too.
Its a quick sandwich, basically a burger, with beef patties, American cheese slices, and toppings such as lettuce and tomatoes. The chopped part of it refers to the hamburger meat being chopped up finely before the cheese is added on top.
Chopped Cheese Style Mini Pull Aparts5 Steps
Chopped cheese is a beloved bodega sandwich hailing from New York but very specifically Brooklyn, though among chopped cheese enthusiasts, the exact borough to lay claim to this sandwich remains debatable. Often regarded as New York City’s answer to the Philly Cheesesteak, it’s easy to see its appeal. In its purest form, it is a beef hamburger patty seared on a flattop and “chopped” during the cooking process to the point where the patty shape is no longer relevant. Exact seasoning beyond salt and pepper remains mostly secretive, but many chopped cheese devotees swear that the only seasoning appropriate is Goya brand Adobo seasoning . While still hot on the flat top, American cheese slices are used to top the beef until melted and then the entire mixture is transferred to a hero bun and then very simply topped with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. Taking all of the main cues from this classic sandwich and applying it to a mini pull part scenario allows for easy sharing and even easier preparation when entertaining for a crowd.
Don’t Miss: Is Cottage Cheese On Keto
Tips For The Bestchopped Cheese
- Toast the bread: Toasting the bread will prevent it from getting soggy when you add on all the condiments. Either pop it in the toaster or place the sliced faces down onto the skillet before you add in your burgers.
- Chop the burger patties, NOT the cheese: While the name might imply the cheese itself is chopped, youll find yourself in a pretty literal sticky situation if you chop up patties with cheese on them. The best practice is to chop up the beef, arrange it in a pile in the skillet in a similar shape to your bun and then add the cheese on top.
- You can make it spicy: Bodegas have all the fixings to customize your Chopped Cheese, so dont forget you can do that at home too! Add some of your favorite spicy seasonings to the ground patty, or top off your sandwich with some spicy condiments.