How To Avoid Grainy Cheese Sauce:
- The type of cheddar makes a difference. High quality aged cheddar cheese will give you a stronger taste and smoother texture. More mild and inexpensive cheddar cheeses will have less flavor and almost a grittier taste.
- Use fresh grated cheese. Pre-shredded store-bought cheese will not melt the same as freshly grated cheese, and grating the cheese helps it melt smoothly and evenly in the sauce.
- Bring the cheese to room temperature. I like to grate the cheese very first, before moving forward with the recipe. That allows it to sit at room temperature while I prepare the white sauce.
- Use low heat. In order for the cheese to melt properly and smoothly we want it to have gradual changes in temperature . When its time to add the cheese to the white sauce, remove the sauce from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. It only needs to be warm enough to melt the cheese.
- Dont over-stirthe sauce once the cheese has melted. Add the noodles and quickly assemble in pan and put into the oven.
What Is Smoked Mac And Cheese
I will share our regular mac and cheese recipe later, but this smoked version is out of this world.
It pairs so nicely with anything grilled and guys appreciate the full flavor of this mac. If you want to make mac and cheese, but your husband doesnt usually love it, this is the recipe to make him!
Most people use their smokers to do a recipe like this, which you are welcome to do, but I add a simple ingredient to make the smoked flavor and simply bake it in my oven to get it nice a bubbly. Easy, peasy!
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese: What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use
I honestly use different cheese combinations almost every time I make this mac and cheese recipe but the one I always come back to is sharp cheddar and Gruyere. If you cant find Gruyere, Jarlsberg Swiss cheese is the best substitute. Other cheese that work: mozzarella, jack cheese or pepper jack for a little zip, American and Velveeta as well for a creamier cheese sauce. This baked mac and cheese uses 6 cups of cheese so just
To add even more flavor to my homemade mac and cheese, I add Parmesan to the Panko topping so good!
Recommended Reading: How Much Salt In Swiss Cheese
No Whining At The Dinner Table
Macaroni and cheese is always a safe bet. The kids never complain about having mac and cheese for dinner, which means we avoid dinner table whining .
We wanted to share our homemade version, which has become a family favorite. Its a baked mac and cheese recipe that is easy, cheesy and so delicious! Have you ever made homemade Macaroni and Cheese? If not, today needs to be the day!
With A Pasta Extruder
The pasta extruder is obviously the simplest way to make a hollow pasta noodle like macaroni.
Personally I dont have a pasta extruder because it seems like a very limited use kitchen appliance. I much prefer to get creative with shapes when Im making pasta by hand and during the odd time I need to eat macaroni or bucatini for example, I just buy it.
Also Check: What Sauce Is On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
How Do You Doctor Up Boxed Mac And Cheese
15 Easy Ways to Upgrade Boxed Mac & Cheese for Last-Minute Dinners Broccoli + Shredded Chicken. Bacon + Peas + Egg. Garlic + Pickled Jalapeños. Mushrooms + Thyme + Grated Gruyère. Pesto + Sun-Dried Tomatoes. Kimchi + Bacon + Chopped Scallions. Cherry Tomatoes + Basil + Mozzarella. Spicy Italian Sausage + Onions + Marinara.
Tips To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Cook your pasta al dente as the noodles cook extra in the sauce and you dont want them mushy.
- Dont forget to salt your pasta water.
- While not everyone agrees with rinsing the pasta after cooking, in this particular recipe it stops the noodles from cooking and the sauce is created with a texture that pairs perfectly with the rinsed noodles.
- A sharper cheddar cheese will add a stronger cheese flavor.
- Pre-shredded cheeses contain additives to keep it from sticking together which affects the way it melts. The sauce is best if you shred your own cheeses.
- Allowing the baked macaroni and cheese to rest for a few minutes after baking will thicken the sauce.
- Most importantly of allDo not over bake this recipe.
When cooking your macaroni noodles, cook them according to the package directions but you want them to be still firm. If your package says 6-8 minutes, just cook them 6 you get the idea. I choose not to top this baked macaroni casserole with a bread crumb mixture but if you really like bread crumbs on your macaroni and cheese, by all means, add some!
Recommended Reading: Is Low Fat Cottage Cheese Good For Diabetics
How To Make Homemade Roux For A Creamy Sauce
To make a simple and flavorful roux, start by melting a stick of butter in a medium saucepan.
Whisk in the salt and pepper. A very important step is to continue stirring for a good 2-3 minutes until roux turns a bit darker in color. It becomes richer and even more fabulous.
Slowly whisk in the milk until mixture is thick and creamy. This step will take a couple minutes over medium heat.
Stir in cheese until creamy and cheese is melted through. I prefer a finely shredded mild cheddar. It melts quickly and has a perfect cheddar flavor.
Ingredients For Smoked Mac And Cheese
You will combine simple ingredients to pull this recipe together. I know a box seems easier, but this isnt hard.
The hardest part is shredding the cheese and that only takes a few minutes- tops!
- Noodles Most people think of elbow macaroni for this dish, but you can absolutely get a bit fancy and use a more substantial noodle to take it up a notch.
- Butter Use real butter. This will be used to make the sauce.
- Flour I use all purpose flour.
- Mustard Powder If you dont have mustard powder, use a prepared mustard, such as dijon.
- Whole Milk This is a delicious dish, so dont skimp on the milk. I think whole milk makes it creamier.
- Half and Half This will be used to make the sauce rich.
- Cream Cheese The cream cheese makes the sauce very creamy and keeps it from getting dry.
- Grated Cheeses You can mix the flavors of cheeses you are using, but my biggest tip is to shred it yourself. If you use preshredded cheese, it wont melt and marry together like cheese you shred yourself.
- Panko Breadcrumbs I like putting a crunchy topping on our mac and cheese. I use a cup of Panko breadcrumbs to create that topping. If you dont have this, crush some crackers or flaked cereal to use in its place.
- Liquid Smoke Flavor Liquid Smoke is the secret ingredient for this Smoked Mac and Cheese. Most people use a smoker and leave the dish in the smoker for hours. This tiny ingredient gives you the same bold flavor without all of the time and gadgets. You can get this at any grocery store.
Recommended Reading: Is Kraft Mozzarella Cheese Vegetarian
How To Make Mac And Cheese:
This might take a little longer than boxed mac n cheese, but let me tell ya, the extra time and effort is SO worth it. Plus, most of the ingredients you need are ones you already have on hand, and the steps are simple.
PASTA. Begin by cooking pasta according to package directions, and set aside.
SAUCE. In a large saucepan, melt ½ c. butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking until smooth. Heat the mixture to a low boil until thickened. Remove from heat.
ASSEMBLE. Add the hot pasta to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Then, sprinkle 6 cups shredded cheese over the pasta . Pour the thickened cream sauce over the pasta and cheese. Let it sit until the cheese has melted and then stir together.
TOP & BAKE. Melt 2 TB butter over medium heat. Add in bread crumbs, stirring constantly until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Pour over the mac and cheese. Bake at 325° for 14-15 minutes. Serve warm, and ENJOY!
CROCK POT VERSION
To make Mac n Cheese an even easier dish you can make it in a crock pot. Pour your pasta in first cover them with your sauces and cheese. Cook on Low for 2-3 hours. For our favorite crock pot mac and cheese .
Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese
The Chunky Chef09/30/2019
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite recipe, loved by both children and adults. It uses a combination of cheeses, layered in the dish as well as melted into a rich and creamy cheese sauce, for the ultimate in cheesy deliciousness! Perfect for a comforting dinner or as a holiday side dish!
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
Baked mac and cheese. Its nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations! In fact, I almost didnt post this recipe, as there are SOOOO many mac and cheese recipes available, and most people already have their favorite way of making it.
Of course, theres no right way or wrong way, so Im here sharing the way I like to make my mac and cheese .
Don’t Miss: What Is Vegan Cheese Made Out Of
Can I Bake This Recipe
At this point of stovetop mac and cheese, you can choose to transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, top with more cheese and other toppings of choice, bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes for a baked mac and cheese. This is another fantastic option. Adding buttered bread crumbs and bacon is another winning option before baking to add a nice crunch. Try adding cooked beef or chicken for more dinner options too.
Start With Bchamel: The Secret To A Creamy Cheesy Sauce
When making macaroni and cheese, this sauce serves as the base and whatever cheeses you choose are melted into it.
Béchamel is one of the mother sauces in the classic French system. Its made by cooking equal parts butter and flour until smooth and golden , then whisking in warm milk to make a smooth, creamy sauce. The thickness of a béchamel sauce is determined by the ratio of milk to butter and flour.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Cottage Cheese Skin
Cheese Sauce Step By Step
Classic cheese sauce begins with béchamel a simple white sauce made of butter, flour, milk, and a few seasonings. Cheese is then added to the white sauce to create cheese sauce . Here are the three basic steps to make cheese sauce:
It’s that simple, but the trick is knowing how to make the roux, how to add the milk without creating lumps, and how to add the cheese so the sauce turns out smooth and not grainy.
The Secret To Ultra Cheesy Homemade Mac And Cheese
If you are making homemade macaroni and cheese without Velveeta or processed cheese, you may be wondering how you can give it that extra cheesy punch. I learned this secret from making Rootitoots Instant Pot Mac and Cheese, and its now a secret weapon I use in all of my Mac and Cheese creations.
If you look in the images above, you can see that there are chunks of cheddar cheese being tossed into the pasta and sauce. THIS is the way to create wonderful pockets of cheesy goodness. The cubed cheese is tossed in after the sauce is added to the pasta, and then immediately placed in a baking dish. As the casserole cooks, the cheese cubes melt and make the mac and cheese ultra cheesy and delicious.
Also Check: Who Makes Mac And Cheese Ice Cream
Faqs About Homemade Mac And Cheese
This mac and cheese recipe is one of my most popular, so here are some of the commonly asked questions.
How do you store mac and cheese?
Store the leftovers of this homemade mac and cheese recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Since it thickens as it cools, you may need to add 1-2 TBS of milk when it’s reheated it to restore its original creaminess.
Can homemade mac and cheese be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this homemade mac and cheese, however I don’t recommend it. Since this mac and cheese recipe is so easy to make, there’s really no need to freeze it. If you’re looking for a freezer-friendly mac and cheese recipe check out my baked mac and cheese!
What main dish goes well with mac and cheese?
If you’re looking to serve this mac and cheese recipe as a side dish instead of the main event, here are some suggestions for other dishes that pair well with it: meatloaf
Stick With The Stovetop
All too often, baked macaroni and cheese takes on more of a casserole feel than the creaminess you’re looking for here. To prevent that, cook it entirely on your stovetop rather than finishing it in the oven. The sauce won’t get overly thick and clumpy on the stovetop, meaning the end result will be creamy and silky smooth just what you’re after.
Don’t Miss: Who Made Chuck E Cheese
Stovetop Mac And Cheese Option
I love the golden brown edges and top that baking the macaroni and cheese creates, but you dont need to bake it if you dont want to. For a stovetop mac and cheese, simply add the pasta to the cheese sauce and then let it sit, covered for a few minutes. This time gives the pasta a chance to absorb some of the sauce. You can also take a look at this easy macaroni and cheese recipe made on the stovetop.
Baking Mac And Cheese
- Baking macaroni and cheese is optional. I always bake my mac and cheese further as it tastes so good. But if you dont have an oven or the time, then just mix and serve.
- Do top with breadcrumbs when baking as they add a lovely crispy and crunchy layer.
- Feel free to add seasonings, herbs and spices of your choice. I keep it simple with crushed black pepper and a bit of ground nutmeg. A dash of mustard powder also perks up the flavor.
- To add some fiber and extra nutrition to in the dish, simply mix in some steamed veggies.
Recommended Reading: What Cheese Is Best For Keto
Cook Your Pasta Past Al Dente
Make sure you cook your noodles appropriately when making mac and cheese, especially if you want it to be the creamiest it can possibly be. You need to make sure that you cook the pasta you’re using al dente, which is Italian for “to the tooth,” because if you undercook it, your sauce can get gritty from the extra starch. You also may want to adjust the flour in the roux to accommodate how you’re planning to cook your noodles. Using less flour in the roux might help to offset the undercooked noodles.
What Kind Of Pasta Do You Use For Mac And Cheese
Stay away from long, thin pasta like spaghetti and linguine, and shapes that are super tiny. Follow this tip: Select a pasta with plenty of surface area and nooks and crannies to capture as much of that blissful cheese sauce as possible. I especially love shells, campanelle, and the ever-classic elbow macaroni.
Also Check: Who Moved My Cheese Audio
The Best Pasta Dough For Making Handmade Macaroni Or Other Small Handmade Pasta Shapes
One of the trickier parts of achieving a specific pasta shape is getting the dough exactly right. If you start with the right dough it will make the whole process easier and your results more consistent.
So what is the best pasta dough for making macaroni? I wasnt sure so I did a little experiment.
Give Cottage Cheese A Try
When you’re considering which cheeses to use for your extra creamy mac and cheese, you might want to consider adding in some cottage cheese. It’ll make the sauce extra creamy and extra cheesy without complicating the overall flavor profile too much. Again, you’ll want some with a tiny bit of fat if possible for the creamiest, richest sauce, but if you can’t swing cottage cheese with fat, the fat-free kind will work as well.
Don’t Miss: What Is Good With Mac And Cheese
How To Make A Roux
First time making a roux? No problem! Check out this super simple tutorial:
Congrats, youve made your roux! This will give your mac the thick and creamy texture youre looking for.