What Kind Of Meat For Philly Cheesesteaks
Choosing the meat is almost totally up to you. There are different cuts of meat you can use in this recipe.
For instance, you can use ribeye or skirt steak shaved into thin slices.
Perhaps the easiest and most cost-effective meat to use is thickly sliced roast beef, which is a great option as well. This is actually the meat we use in our sandwiches and will be what we use for our pizza, too.
The Perfect Pizza Crust
In constructing the dough for this recipe, I wanted to create a crust that would remind me of the familiar roll that serves as the vehicle for my beloved sandwich. I needed something light, yet chewy and substantial enough to withstand the weight of all that steak and cheese.
If you havent attempted to make pizza crust before it can be a bit intimidating. But, Im here to preach that it is beyond worth the trouble. Heres a few tips to get you started:
Give the Dough Sufficient Time to Rise
The time your dough spends rising is time spent developing flavor and texture. Rushing the process will only result in a dull dough that wont properly rise during cooking. Be patient.
Flavor Your Dough
This dough recipe is simple but that doesnt mean you cant jazz it up. I love adding a couple dashes of seasoning to create dimension. Try onion powder, garlic powder or dried oregano! Add in your seasoning during the stretching process.
How to Stretch the Dough
Dont be stingy with the flour! Coat your surface heavily and add more as needed. Gently use a floured rolling pin to roll out your dough. Then, use you hands to gently work your dough to get your desired shape.
Make Ahead of Time
If you find yourself wanting to make pizza but dont always have the time I would suggest making your dough ahead of time.
To thaw, place the pizza dough in the refrigerator overnight and roll it out when youre ready!
Dont Miss: Can You Eat Cheese On Keto And Lose Weight
How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough
Homemade Pizza Dough may seem daunting to make, but its pretty simple as long as you have the time to let it rest. First, activate your yeast by letting it sit in water and sugar for about 10 minutes until its frothy. Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl. Then mix in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
Knead the dough on a work surface until you have a smooth dough thats tacky, but not sticky. Then place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rest in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and roll it out to the size of the pizza youre making.
Also Check: Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna With Steakums
Whats On Dominos Philly Cheese Steak
Each sandwich has beautifully sliced portions of steak that are placed onto our tasty bread. Then we add layers of traditional cheese steak vegetables, including fresh onions, green peppers, and, of course, mushrooms. Once the steak slices and vegetables have been placed, its time to add the cheeses.
More About Dominos Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Sauce Recipes
COPYCAT DOMINO’S PHILLY CHEESESTEAK PIZZA RECIPE
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and ¾ cup of warm water, and mix together well, stirring steadily. Add in the olive oil once the flour begins to stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Continue to mix together, using your hands as it gets harder to stir. If the dough is too dry and unable to form a ball, add more water a splash at a time and knead together. Once the dough is sticky and forming together, transfer to a flat, floured surface, and knead until smooth, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, and coat the ball in the oil, placing it gently in the middle once coated. Then, cover with a towel, and leave to rise at room temperature for up to three hours.
COPYCAT DOMINO’S PHILLY CHEESESTEAK PIZZA RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
FromServingsEstimated Reading TimeCategoryTotal Time
- Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add in the roast beef then sauté until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pizza dough on a baking pan and spoon on the sauce. Top with the roast beef and sautéed vegetables.
PHILLY CHEESE STEAK PIZZA RECIPE | LITTLE SPICE JAR
DOMINO’S PHILLY CHEESE STEAK PIZZA – TIPBUZZ
- Whisk together yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
THE BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK PIZZA (HOW TO FREEZE, MAKE …
Don’t Miss: Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
What Cut Of Beef Should I Use When Making A Philly Cheesesteak
Over the past few years I have made it various ways. For cooking time and not having to trim steak down, I prefer the shaved steak that is in the grocery store. It makes my life easier.
However, if you dont have the option for shaved steak you can buy a rib eye or similar cut of meat like a flank steak. Using a super sharp kitchen knife you can shave the steak down. A tip when doing it this way is to freeze your steak for 15-20 minutes to make the cutting process a little bit easier.
What Is A Philly Cheesesteak
Before we show you how to make the best Philly cheesesteak pizza thats just like Dominos, well show you why the restaurant even decided to make a cheesesteak-themed pizza in the first place.
A Philly cheesesteak is a type of sandwich thats now a local delicacy in where it first originated from. Hence its name Philly, which is short for Philadelphia. This sandwich is made up of beef steak, caramelized onions, and melted cheese encased in a long bread, commonly a hoagie. Its a very meaty, cheesy, and, most of all, hearty sandwich. Theres a reason its so well-loved, after all.
Usually, Philly cheesesteak meat is either a thinly-sliced rib eye or top round steak cut. However, other cuts are also used, like the top sirloin . The cheeses youd find in this steak sandwich are either American cheese, provolone cheese, or even Cheez Whiz.
Some food establishments melt the American cheese and then add them to the sandwich for a more gooey eating experience. However, others simply let the heat of the steaks melt the slices of scrumptious American cheese. Also, while hoagie rolls are often used for this sandwich, some variations opt for French bread or the soft and slightly-salted Amoroso rolls. All these different ingredients and methods help give the iconic sandwich its signature taste.
Read Also: Wisconsin Brick Cheese Alternative
What Is On A Dominos Philly Pizza
The Dominos Philly pizza is made up of the Dominos signature dough, layered American cheese, green peppers, onions, Philly steak, mushrooms, and then provolone cheese.
And it is the combination of cheeses that give this pizza its particular taste.
The American cheese is mild, salty, and creamy while the provolone cheese is rich and sharp but not too strong. It also has a somewhat sweet finish to it too.
Of course, then you have the other ingredients too.
Green peppers provide the aromatic flavor, onions provide a bit of everything and the Philly steak provides that meaty, peppery flavor.
Throw it all together and you have a flavorsome pizza that simply does not need any sauce!
Besides, the typical Dominos tomato sauce would be too much!
Hence why they leave it off!
What Type Of Cheese Is Best For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
There are a few different cheeses used for Philly Cheese Steak: American Cheese, Cheeze Whiz and provolone. For this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza, I chose to use Alfredo sauce and mozzarella. The mozzarella melts to buttery cheesy, ooey gooey perfection. You may also layer the Alfredo sauce with provolone if you prefer.
Don’t Miss: Tallarico’s Steak Sandwich Sauce Recipe
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
This Philly Steak Pizza recipe is CRAZY GOOD. Like so crazy good that Patrick and I kept murmuring crazy good over and over again in between bites as we stuffed our faces with this crazy good pizza.
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza is an ode to my absolutely favorite Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. I crave this meaty, cheese sandwich so much that Ive already made Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and Philly Cheesesteak Soup. The only way to possible make this dining delight even more delicious?! Make it into Philly Cheesesteak Pizza!
The sautéing of the steak, onions and peppers only takes about 5 minutes and the layering can be done in a flash, so that makes this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza the ultimate quick, easy and uber delicious dinner especially if you have made the Perfect Homemade Pizza Crust beforehand and either refrigerated it or frozen it for times like this when the Philly Cheese Steak Pizza craving just wont go away which for me, is pretty much all the time!
I apologize in advance if you develop a craving problem after eating this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza. But then again, its a delicious problem to have. And your family will love you for it because your problem means more of their favorite pizza, because if you all love Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, this will be your new favorite pizza!
What Kind Of Cheese Is On A Philly Steak
In the Philadelphia area, Mozzarella is only used on a pizza steak, a cheese steak made with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and a bit of oregano usually on top. Mozzarella has become the cheese of choice on the so-called Philly Cheese Steak. Provolone is more often used on a steak hoagie, as provolone is the cheese used
For provolone, go for a mild or medium profile with a light smoky flavor. The Bread. History. The first cheesesteak was created by a hot dog vendor in Philly who, when tired of consuming his franks for lunch everyday, had the idea to cook up some thinly sliced steak he bought from the local butcher.
Don’t Miss: Is The Wax On Babybel Cheese Edible
How To Make Philly Cheese Steak Pizza:
The dough for this pizza comes together fairly quickly with a mix of cream cheese, mozzarella, egg, and almond flour.
Roll it out between some parchment paper and bake it for about 10 minutes to let the crust firm up a bit.
When its time to top the pizza, youll want to cook up some thinly sliced steak. I used ribeye, but you can use a cheaper cut if you prefer.
Cook the steak until its just browned on the outside. Its going in the oven too, so you dont want to turn it into leather.
After the steak is browned, toss some onions and peppers in the hot skillet and let those soften and brown a bit.
For the sauce, Im using cream cheese. Just plain old cream cheese. Its creamy, rich, and perfect for this!! Have faith.
Pile on the steak, veggies, and a little more cheese. Shredded provolone is good, if you can find it. Mozzarella works well too.
Pop this back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so to melt the cheese and finish off the crust and then its time to dig in!
Love Philly cheese steaks? Give my Philly cheesesteak casserole a try next!
You May Like: What Cheese Is Best For Keto
Easy Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
A very tasty twist to pizza!
Provided by nichole b
|8 ounces beef sirloin, thinly sliced|
|butter-flavored cooking spray|
|1 package sliced fresh mushrooms|
|1 onion, thinly sliced|
|1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced|
|1 container refrigerated pizza dough|
|12 slices white American cheese|
|2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . Spray a skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook and stir beef sirloin in the prepared skillet over medium heat until browned on the outside and slightly pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer sirloin to a plate.
- Spray the skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Add mushrooms, onion, and green bell pepper cook and stir until just turning tender, about 5 minutes.
- Roll pizza dough onto a baking sheet and top with American cheese. Spoon mushroom mixture and sirloin over American cheese layer and top with Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 432.9 calories, Carbohydrate 21.5 g, Cholesterol 84.5 mg, Fat 27.1 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 26.1 g, SaturatedFat 16.6 g, Sodium 1141.1 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
Read Also: What Comes On A Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Why Its The #1 Homemade Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- Fool-proof. Im Jenna, a pizza expert, and I will teach you all my tricks!
- Use leftover steak as a pizza topping. Or make steak for pizza .
- Learn what sauce on Philly cheese steak pizza tastes the best.
- Tastes better than delivery pizza like Dominos or Papa Johns Philly cheese steak pizza.
- Every bite is SO YUM. Seriously. Scroll to see the pics!
Tips For The Best Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- You need to cook the veggies in advance for a few reasons. First of all, this helps them release their moisture and keeps your pizza from getting soggy. You also get a sweeter depth of flavor from the onions than we would if we put them on the pizza raw.
- Another couple things to prevent a soggy crust are to put a cheese base down on your pizza sauce before any other toppings, and to let all the juices drain off your meat and veggies before adding them to the Philly cheese steak pizza.
- You can also use leftover cooked sirloin steak on your pizza. Just skip cooking it in the skillet, and add it with the cooked veggies on top of the pizza. This is best with steak that is rare or medium, not well done, since it will cook 10 minutes in the oven. Another great way to use up steak is our leftover steak tacos recipe!
Don’t Miss: Healthiest Cheese For Keto
Ingredients For Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
PIZZA DOUGH: If youre a pizza purist, you can definitely make your own dough. If Im short on time I will use this no rise pizza dough recipe, or even a store bought refrigerated pizza dough. Ive also started making or buying a white whole wheat pizza dough to add a little bit of nutrition to our weekly habit.
PIZZA SAUCE: I think the only point of contention Ive seen with a Philly cheese steak pizza is what sauce is on the Philly cheesesteak pizza. Some like a cheesy alfredo Philly cheese steak pizza sauce, others go with a simple garlic butter. Honestly, I really like marinara sauce. There is so much cheese on the pizza, I dont feel like it needs a cream sauce, and I like the marinara flavor with the steak.
GOAT CHEESE: I use some big dollops of fresh chevre on the pizza because it gives some of that same creaminess you would get from a cream sauce, but with a wonderful tangy flavor. I dont recommend skipping these one, its a MUST!
MOZZARELLA, CHEDDAR, PROVOLONE, AMERICAN: Between the goat cheese, mozzarella, and cheddar, this Philly cheese steak pizza has a good variety of cheese flavors. That said, you can also swap them with your favorite cheesesteak sandwich cheeses.
Maybe sub American cheese for the cheddar , and use provolone instead of mozzarella. You could even go half mozzarella half provolone, or throw in some Swiss as well.
Recipe Variations To Try
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza boasts the same tantalizing toppings youll find in cheese steaks: thinly sliced steak, gooey melted cheese, sautéed onions, bell peppers and mushrooms .
You can also add any of these common toppings :
- sweet peppers
So, while Ive kept this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza recipe simple feel free to add whatever toppings your heart or belly desires!
Recommended Reading: Babybel Cheese Backpacking
Question About Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
How do you guys make the Philly Cheesesteak pizza? I know it has American cheese instead of sauce. Do you just lay some slices of cheese down first? Or is it shredded American? Just curious as it’s my favorite Domino’s pizza.
White American cheese, three down the middle, two on either side of the center piece, and then each corner has half a slice.
Onions, green peppers, philly steak, mushrooms, and shredded provolone on top.
Its a great pizza, but its one of the most annoying pizzas to make because the American cheese takes too long to put on and holds up the line. Same with the buffalo chicken
Whats On A Philly Cheese Steak Pizza From Dominos
The Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is less like a pizza with cheesesteak toppings and more like a sandwich with pizza crust instead of a hoagie. Instead of a tomato sauce they use three types of cheese: mozzarella, provolone and American. Toppings include sautéed onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. Of course, you cant forget tender slices of steak sliced thin!
Don’t Miss: Can Babybel Cheese Stay Unrefrigerated
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
That being said, thiss how we make it and keep it simple with quality ingredients for maximum flavor!
- Step 1. Toast the buns!!! Buttery crispy toasted buns are everything! You can use either butter or mayo. I often use mayo, if I dont have softened butter.
- Step 2. Sauté the vegetables, if youre using. Honestly, we often skip this part, because Garrat doesnt process onions and peppers well. But if I have some on hand, I add it. I always serve it separately though.
- Step 3. Make sure to thinly slice the steaks and cook them on high heat for quick 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Heres a genius trick to thinly slice the meat at home!
- Step 4. Divide the meat into 4 equal piles, place cheese slices on top to melt. Then put a bun over the meat and flip over.
Serve with the cheese sauce and sautéed veggies.
Yeah, once you try this Philly cheesesteak recipe, with or without the cheese sauce, youll understand why its such a staple in our family! And quite honestly, its a great casual dinner for a company too.
If youre not up for making the cheese sauce, you can simply omit that. Also, feel free to use American cheese in place of Provolone cheese. Again, flexibility is the best part of this recipe!
Also Check: How Much Sodium In Sharp Cheddar Cheese