What We Love About This Recipe Queso Blanco
The words Queso Blanco translates to white cheese in Spanish. It is often used as a topping for spicy Mexican dishes such as enchiladas and empanadas, or quesadillas. This Queso Blanco dip recipe is so quick and versatile and oh so good! Perfect for game day or cinco de mayo and just like you would get in a Mexican restaurants.
- 15 Minutes: This Mexican Queso only takes 15 minutes.
- Easy Ingredients: All simple ingredients that you have on hand for this white queso dip.
- Family Friendly: Everyone loves this Mexican white cheese dip.
- Adaptable: Can make it as mild or as spicy as you like it this is a versatile Mexican dip.
How Do You Make White Mexican Cheese Dip
I use whole milk, all-natural white American cheese from the deli have them slice it thin, then its easier to chop into small pieces. There is no oil in this cheese like other American cheeses.
Pour half-and-half into a medium pot and heat over medium-high heat.
Once it starts simmering, but not boiling , reduce heat to low.
If using a cast iron skilletto serve, warm on low on the stove or in the oven.
In small batches add your American cheese into the cream, whisking until smooth before adding more cheese. It melts quickly, so keep adding a little at a time.
Once American cheese has been incorporated, start whisking your mozzarella and cheddar cheese into the queso, again in small batches. Whisk until melted and smooth.
You may want to add a little more mozzarella depending on your desired queso thickness.
- Heat the half and half
- Slowly whisk in American cheese until melted
- Whisk in Mozzarella cheese until melted
- Stir in spices, green chiles and salt
How To Make Queso Dip Recipe
Add half and half to the saucepan and cook over medium heat.
When half and half is hot , add American, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and stir continuously until cheese is melted and smooth.
Add in garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir.
Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro.
Don’t Miss: Extra Large Slate Cheese Board
Ingredients For White Queso Recipe:
- White American Cheese I find this at the deli counter at my local grocery store. If you cannot find it, you can use Velveeta Blanco in this recipe instead.
- Milk I usually use milk as it makes this cheese dip creamier. You can use heavy cream or half and half as well.
- Butter Dont skip the butter and make sure to use a high quality butter not margarine for this recipe. I prefer Land O Lakes butter but any 100% butter will work great in this recipe.
- Green Chiles I use the canned ones and they work awesome. You can use fresh diced fresh green chiles as well if any are available in your area.
- Cumin Dont skip the cumin in this recipe. Its add the perfect flavor to this dip recipe that you will miss!
- Garlic Salt Garlic powder would work as well. If you use garlic powder, I recommend using ¼ of the total amount.
- Cayenne pepper I just use a pinch and this recipe and it adds a little zip. You can use more or less depending on how spicy you enjoy your dip recipe!
The Secret To Smooth Queso
The bane of every queso-makers existence is curdling. The use of cream cheese in my queso guards against this common issue. The stabilizers in the cream cheese work to prevent the cheese from curdling when heated. This works to our advantage in the queso dip because, unlike hard cheeses like cheddar which can separate when heated, the cream cheese will melt and make the dip homogeneous.
More tips for super smooth queso:
- In addition to the cream cheese, I use evaporated milk as the base for the cheesy dip.
- Reducing the amount of water in the sauce also prevents that dreaded curdling.
- Pay close attention to the temperature of the sauce after the cheese has been added. This is crucial in achieving a smooth queso. Maintaining a low temperature and a wee bit of patience will set you up for success. No bubbles should break the surface of the dip once youve added the cheese.
Recommended Reading: Unrefrigerated String Cheese
Why This Is Life Changing
This Queso Dip recipe is for everyone out there who has attempted to make a Mexican cheese dip like what you get at Mexican restaurants and found it lacking. If you want the dip to be silky smooth like the stuff you get in jars, then the recipes call for fake cheese Velveeta or other processed cheeses.
Other recipes are made starting with a roux butter & flour which is used to make a béchamel sauce into which cheese is added. While this makes a terrific cheese sauce for pouring over vegetables, in lasagna, gratins etc, it doesnt have that truly silky and rich texture of a cheese dip.
Some recipes call for real cheese and varying combinations of cream / sour cream / mayonnaise but the problem with these is that when the dip cools down, the cheese congeals. Its super tasty but you need to keep it warm. And it has a tendency to split when rewarmed.
The solution? Evaporated milk + cornflour/cornstarch + cheese = silky smooth rich cheese dip / sauce. Truly. It works.
Actually, I shared Nachos Cheese Dip a couple of years ago which is a simpler version of this dip. This Queso Dip is my copycat of the fake cheese dip I tried in Canada and the ultra addictive dips served at Tex Mex restaurants in America.
Dont make this Queso Dip when youre home alone. Im supposed to be on my Post Holiday Health Kick and its taken astronomical will power to hold back.
Ive got 3 batches of this Mexican Cheese Dip in my fridge. Im planning to offload them tomorrow. Nagi x
Here Are The Steps In A Nutshell:
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
Read Also: Babybel Expiration
Queso Dip Recipe Tips
This homemade queso dip recipe is so easy theres really not a lot of opportunities to make a mistake. In fact, you really cant go wrong. The tips below arent so much about making sure you make the recipe correctly so much as they are about showing you different ways you can change up the recipe. Lets take a look!
- If you want a thicker cheese dip or sauce simply add more cheese, a little at a time
- Plain white or orange sharp cheddar, mozzarella, or even muenster or Jack cheeses are great substitutes if needed
- You can use American cheese, Velveeta or Queso block cheese to make this into a Velveeta queso dip
- Shred your own cheese so it melts properly. Avoid the pre-shredded bags if at all possible
- If adding ground beef or chorizo sausage be sure to drain before adding it to your dip to avoid it becoming greasy
The best thing about this recipe is that it serves as a great place to start. Its so versatile that you literally can enjoy a different dip every time you make it.
We include whatever extra ingredients we are in the mood for or have on hand. From traditional queso to a Velveeta queso dip twist, you can throw in just about anything.
I always add something a little different. Whether it be to add some cooked chorizo sausage or ground beef. Maybe some chopped peppers, and purple onion.
Variations Of This Recipe
- SPICY to make this dip spicier, you could use all or any of the following: hot diced green chiles, more cayenne pepper, hot sauce, diced jalapeno, diced serrano pepper.
- MILD this dip is what I consider to be a mild heat level, but if youre really concerned about heat, leave out the cayenne pepper.
- CHEESE I wanted this dip to taste similar to the jarred queso thats found by the tortilla chips, which uses cheddar but you could use any good melting cheese you like. American, Colby, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, etc. You could also use Velveeta if you prefer that consistency.
- MEAT For a fun twist, add some spiced ground beef , or ground chorizo! Just make sure youve drained the meat REALLY well, or you can make your sauce greasy.
- TOPPINGS Diced tomato, jalapeno, pico de gallo, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, cilantro the sky is the limit!
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
Super Easy 3 Cheese Queso Dip
Who doesnt love cheesy dip? This super easy three-cheese queso dip is a family favorite. Make sure to save it because youll make it again and again.
Christmas is over and now its time to start thinking about New Years and Super Bowl parties! Most people like cheesy things so I usually go that route. This easy three cheese queso recipe is a crowd-pleaser. My kids ask me to make it all the time. You may not even want to share its so good!
This recipe is great because you can make it as spicy as you want it! You can add jalapeños or none. I love to serve it with cilantro. My family loves cilantro. I know many people dont, but we eat it up here. It gives it that Mexican flavor I love.
To Make White Queso You Will Need:
12 slices of White American Cheese
1 cup of Half and Half
1 can of mild green diced chiles 4 oz
Place your cheese slices in a medium size pot along with the cup of half and half. Drain your canned green chiles VERY well. Extra liquid will affect the dip, so really squish the extra moisture out with the lid of the can and drain well and then add the green chiles to the pot. Cook on the stovetop over medium-low heat until completely melted.
Stir frequently with a wire whisk and make sure your temperature stays on medium-low to avoid scorching the cheese.
You want the dip to be runny, not thick. The end product should be quite thin. If the dip gets too thick, it will solidify too quickly. If it seems too thick, simply add more milk.
There you have it! White queso dip in less than 10 minutes. My family enjoys white queso drizzled over taco salads, nachos, bbq chicken or pork nachos, and as a bunless burger with veggies on top.
As mentioned, you can use either half and half OR milk. The taste is richer with the half and half, but you can definitely make this with milk if that is what you have on hand.
White American cheese may be hard to find in your grocery store. If you dont have luck in the cheese section, look in the Deli.
I hope you and your family get to enjoy some amazing white queso dip really soon!
If you love appetizers, be sure to check out myEasy Grilled Buffalo Wings!
To Print the White Queso Recipe Click Below:
Read Also: Alessi Balsamic Reduction
The Best Queso Blanco
May 5, 2021
This easy Queso Blanco recipe is perfect for dipping! Extra delicious and made with real ingredients for the best flavor imaginable! This delectable cheesy dip is better than what you order at your favorite Mexican restaurant! The perfect appetizer to serve on game day or at your next get together. Love cheese dips? Make sure to try my Baked Bacon Cheese Dip and Baked Crab Dip!
Tips For The Best Cheese Dip
- The cheese dip will be a little runny at first, but will nicely thicken as it cools. With that said, this dip is best enjoyed right after making.
- You can always scale down the ingredients for a smaller party or make a double batch for a bigger game day get-together.
- Buy the best quality cheddar cheese you can for the best flavor.
Recommended Reading: Can Babybel Cheese Go Bad
How To Make Queso Dip On The Smoker
First, preheat the smoker to 250°F. Set out a 9 x 13-inch metal pan. Alternatively, you can use a disposable foil pan for easier cleanup.
Chop the Velveeta and pepper jack cheese into 1-inch chunks. Dice the onion and slice the jalapeños. Then place all the ingredients in the pan.
Pro Tip: I lined them up pretty for the photo, but you can just dump them in for faster prep!
Set the pan in the smoker and close the lid. Smoke the queso, undisturbed, for 60 minutes. Stir to mix all the ingredients evenly.
How To Make Queso Dip
Also Check: How Long Is Babybel Cheese Good For
White Cheese Dip Faqs
How should this be stored?
Store any leftover queso in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3 to 4 days. Reheat on medium power in the microwave in 15 to 30 second increments, adding additional milk if it seems too thick.
Can I make in advance?
You sure can! Just follow the reheating instructions above or place in a small crockpot on warm, stirring occasionally and adding additional milk if needed.
My queso turned out grainy, why?
If your queso has a grainy texture, it could be a few reasons. It may have been brought to too high of a heat. Make sure it doesnt boil. Another common problem is using pre shredded cheese the kind you find in a bag at the store. This prevents the cheese from melting well and should be avoided.
Where do I find white American cheese?
I find this at the deli counter at my local grocery store. You can get it as a block or sliced. Either way is fine.
Mexican White Queso Dip Recipe:
This queso blanco recipe is very kid friendly and will be a nice surprise to your family gatherings. It is a nice change from the normal velveeta cheese dip.
If you cannot find American cheese, I suggest you go to the deli counter at the grocery store to buy it.
Ask them to slice it for you, so you can break it into your saucepan and help it melt faster.
White American cheese is actually better priced than Velveeta, and it makes an amazing creamy white queso dip.
Don’t Miss: Lemon Tree Dwelling
How To Make Nachos Chips
Knowing how to make nachos chips from scratch is a great skill to have on hand if you come upon an empty chips aisle or your party seems to need more chips but you dont have anymore on hand. All youll need is olive oil, corn tortilla wraps, and a little bit of salt. Check out our recipe on how to make Corn Tortilla Chips to get to know the entire process.
How Do I Make This Queso Dip
Place small pot over medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, add 2T butter, 2 T whole wheat flour, and ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika . Whisk together until it becomes a paste, about 1-2 minutes.
Expert Tip: Swap the whole wheat flour for white flour if that’s all you have
Expert Tip#2: Make sure to stir continually so paste doesn’t get clumpy or burned.
Whisk in 1c milk. Whisk until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 minute, add ¼ teaspoon salt. Remove from heat once smooth.
Expert Tip: You’ll be ready to remove the this mixture from the burner once it’s all smooth, incorporated, and medium bubbles are forming
Add 2 c cheddarcheese and continue to whisk until cheese is well combined and smooth. Cheese will melt while whisking all ingredients together.
Pour queso into bowl, then top with salsa or sliced jalapenos if desired, and serve with chips and veggies.
Also Check: What Sauce Goes On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza