Topping Your Cheese Ball
A good cheese ball is a study in texture. You want to create contrast between the smooth, creamy interior and the chewy add-ins. Things like crunchy bacon, crackers, and roasted nuts are all ideal toppings. Mince your toppings they should be pretty small so they are easily incorporated into the cheese as it spreads.
Cheese balls keep extraordinarily well as long as you do not roll them in the outer topping until just before serving. Wrapped in plastic and then foil, a cheese ball will keep for up to a week, making it a great nibble to have on hand during party season or any random get-together.
Tips And Tricks For Making The Best Cheese Ball
A good cheese ball is all about mixing different flavors and textures to create the ultimate flavor experience.
My base recipe is made of sharp cheddar and cream cheese. I add some minced bell pepper and scallions to balance the richness of the cheese, a kick of garlic powder, Worcestershire, and lemon juice to boost the flavor, then I roll it in pecans for texture and just a hint of sweetness.
You can mix up the ingredients however you see fit, but keep a few things in mind:
- Dont skip the crunchy bits, otherwise, the cheese ball is just a creamy spread.
- You probably dont need to add much salt.
- Acidic flavors like lemon, hot sauce, or Worcestershire help cut the richness of the cheese.
- Most importantly: Roll your cheese ball in something that will help it keep its shape! Pecans are a classic option, but any nut or seed will work.
If you need some alternative ingredient ideas, look no further. I could go on for days! Heres a short list of some cheese ball variations:
- Roasted jalapenos instead of bell peppers for a spicy kick
- Sun-dried tomato and basil
- Minced dried cranberries and Fontina
- Rolled in Everything Seasoning instead of pecans
Fried Cheese Ball Recipe How To Make The Perfect Melty Cheese Balls
Although this Greek fried cheese ball recipe is really simple to prepare, in order to achieve that beautiful crispy golden brown crust with the amazingly melty cheese filling, you have to pay attention to the details. First of all its best to make the mixture for the cheese balls in advance and let it stand in the fridge for 45 minutes, until firm enough to be able to form the mixture into balls.
For extra melty texture and flavour, this fried cheese ball recipe calls for three different kinds of cheese: tangy flavoured Greek feta cheese, soft and sweet Gouda and salty mature cheddar cheese. Feel free to improvise and add any kind of herbs you like fresh dill or mint, will surely give a Mediterranean twist on your plate.
When it comes to coating less is more so this fried cheese ball uses plain good old-fashioned flour. Dredge the cheese balls in flour, shaking off any excess this will form a light crust on your cheese balls.
Don’t Miss: Does Babybel Need To Be Refrigerated
Make Cheese Ball Dough
4. To the mashed potatoes, add ¼ to teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, a pinch of garam masala and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves.
5. Add 4 tablespoons gram flour or chickpea flour. I highly recommend using gram flour or chickpea flour, however if you do not have it you can also add 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, corn starch or arrowroot flour.
6. Mix very well.
7. Then add the grated cheese and two to three pinches of black salt. Since the cheese already has salt in it, add salt with caution and taste as you go. You can add edible rock salt or regular salt instead of black salt.
8. Mix the cheese with the rest of the potato mixture very well. Check the taste and add more salt or crushed black pepper if required.
More Technique Than Recipe
In many ways, a cheese ball isnt even a recipe its a concept with four directions. What makes a cheese ball so versatile is that you can quite literally change almost every element and still be good to go.
- Mix room-temperature cream cheese and other cheese until smooth.
- Shape into a ball.
- Roll in crunchy stuff and serve.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last
Which Cheese Is Used For A Cheese Ball
First, choose a flavorful aged cheese like cheddar, Gruyère, Gouda, parmesan, or blue cheese to grate, shred, or crumble. You can also use aged American artisan cheeses like the ones in our online store.
Next, youll need a soft, mild fresh cheese to provide the creamy texture we love. Cream cheese is a classic option here, but you could also go with chèvre, fromage blanc, quark, or any other thick, spreadable fresh cheese.
Youll want about 8 ounces . Let both the hard and soft cheeses come up to room temperature before you begin the recipe so you can mix them easily. Once grated, shredded, or crumbled, your firm cheese should total about two cups by volume.
Why You Should Make A Cheese Ball
From the 1950s through the 1970s, cheese balls sat next to every martini and Manhattan at every soirée and fancy-pants affair. Sure, to be a cheese ball eventually meant that you were corny and sort of hokey, but this food that rocked America remains quick and easy to make.
Since it has to be made ahead, it takes any last-minute to-dos off the list. Its so handy, so versatile, and so good at being a make it work, designers dish that you can probably make two or three fantastically flavorful and creative versions from what you have on hand this very minute. So take the cheese ball out of the dustbin of once-trendy foods and you will discover why one of the great American recipes is still rockin and ready for your next gathering.
Don’t Miss: Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Ingredients
What Is The Best Cheese For A Cheese Ball
I like to start a cheese ball with some basicscream cheese, a good sharp cheddar, and some crunchy veggies, but after that, its kind of dealers choice! I encourage you to branch out! Make this your own and use flavors that you love.
- Cheeses to consider: Sharp cheddar, Gouda , pepper jack, or a mixture.
- Cheeses to avoid: Super-dry cheeses like Parmesan or Cotija cheese, as they wont be as spreadable.
How To Make A Cheese Ball From Scratch:
- Add cream cheese, sour, garlic powder and onion powder and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Mix in cheese .
- Cover bowl and chill 1 hour to help firm it up.
- Shape into a ball using a spatula then with greased hands.
- Place pecans in a medium bowl. Roll cheese ball through pecans to cover entirely.
- Serve with crackers, using a butter knife for spreading. Store in refrigerator.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Babybel Last In The Fridge
Fried Cheese Ball Recipe How To Fry Your Cheese Balls To Perfection
And now for the most important part: the frying itself! Use some clean oil for frying and heat it on medium high heat, just before it starts smoking. Check if your oil is ready by sprinkling just a small pinch of flour in the oil if it starts bubbling the oil is ready. Hot oil can be really dangerous, so use a slotted spoon to carefully place the cheese balls inside the hot oil.
To achieve the perfect result, deep fry the cheese balls in a single layer. Not overcrowding the pan is vital for crispier results. If you add too many, the temperature of the oil will decrease, resulting into absorbing too much oil and becoming soggy.
Place the cheese balls sparsely in the pan, without sticking one to another. Turn the cheese balls often in the pan and adjust the heat to avoid burning until they have a formed a rich golden brown crust.
So go ahead give this fried cheese ball recipe a try and amaze your friends and family. Enjoy your cheese balls while still hot with a last minute squeeze of a lemon! Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here .
Faqs Related To Cheese Balls
How to boil potatoes for making cheese balls?
We need slightly hard-boiled potatoes for making cheese balls. I prefer boiling them in the microwave. Put potatoes inside a ziplock bag. Heat in microwave for 5 6 minutes. Peel and use. This way, potatoes are totally dry and not water clogged. Or boil them in a pressure cooker. Keep boiled potatoes in the fridge overnight or at least 2 3 hours before using.
How to make bread crumbs mixture at home?
Combine ¼ Cup unsweetened breakfast cornflakes and 1 slice of bread in a mixer. Blend to make a coarse powder. Use it for coating any cutlet or other dishes. You can store it in the fridge for months.
Which cheese is the best for stuffing cheese balls?
If you need that melted cheesy goodness in the center of your cheese balls, always use mozzarella cheese or good-quality pizza cheese. No other cheese will give you the same result.
How to store uncooked cheese balls?
You can freeze uncooked cheese balls for 1 2 months. Or you can store them in the refrigerator for 2 3 days.
Can I fry cheese balls a few hours before serving and store them?
The answer is NO. Cheese Balls are best served and enjoyed piping hot. The cheese stuffed inside is gooey and the exterior is crisp. After a few hours, potato cheese balls turn a bit soggy and lose their crunch.
Preparation For Cheese Balls Recipe
1. Boil the potatoes in which ever way you like. I prefer to boil them in a pot with water enough to cover them. This way they dont turn too mushy or soft. It is good to keep the skin while boiling as it prevents them from turning mushy.
2. Peel off the skin.
3. Mash them well. There should be no balls or lumps of potato. The mashed potatoes must be smooth. To prevent lumps you can also grate and then mash them.
4. Add the bread crumbs or powdered poha. Then the dried herbs, pepper and red chili flakes. Also add in little salt. Do note that cheese is salted so you will need very less salt here.
5. Then add garlic or ginger garlic paste and coriander leaves.
6. Mix together everything and make a ball. The mixture must be non sticky and not too dry.
7. Divide the mixture to 8 to 10 balls. I doubled the recipe so I got 18 balls.
How To Make Cheese Ball
Hint: If you buy whole pecans, easily chop them in the blender using the pulse setting so they can easily fit into the balls without having big chunks sticking out. Serve these cheese balls with ritz cracked, raw veggies, pita bread, pretzels, and more.
Also Check: Chuck E Cheese Plate
Extra Melty Fried Cheese Ball Recipe
Get the party started with this amazing Greek-style fried cheese ball recipe! Melting, oozing on the inside and with a wonderful golden brown crust on the outside, this fried cheese ball recipe is pure comfort!
In Greece Tirokroketes is a very popular meze one can find in almost every tavern and is with no doubt my absolute favourite cheese appetiser . So I was more than excited to finally come up with a fried cheese ball recipe that tastes even better than the ones I ate at my favourite Greek taverns!
So go ahead, try out this super easy fried cheese ball recipe and indulge yourself to that little sin..
Ranch Cheese Ball Tips & Tricks
- I highly suggest shredding your own cheese off a cheese block rather than using bagged, shredded cheese. If youre in a pinch, store-bought will work fine, but freshly shredded cheese has a much richer flavor!
- Dont skip the ranch seasoning packet, I used the Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning & Dressing Packet.
- Dont want to use pecans? Swap them for almonds or walnuts or leave them off altogether! You can add extra crispy bacon to the coating or just roll in extra cheddar and diced green onion.
- This recipe has 1/2 cup of chopped, crispy bacon added in so you could call this a bacon ranch cheese ball, but you can certainly omit the bacon to your taste preference. In a pinch, you can sub in bacon bits.
You May Like: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Dominos Ingredients
How To Store A Cheese Ball
The best thing about cheese balls is you can make a few and keep them in the fridge for up to a week for easy snacking. Just roll them in nuts and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
I wouldnt freeze the cheese balls. In theory, it could work, but I think the texture loses something when frozen then thawed.
How To Make A Cheese Ball:
Making a cheese ball is SO EASY! Once you make a homemade cheese ball, youll never purchase store-bought again. You just cant beat a homemade cheeseball!
Cooks TIP: For easier mixing, first, beat the cream cheese and sour cream with a mixer, then stir in remaining ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon until well incorporated.
Recommended Reading: Does Babybel Cheese Have To Be Refrigerated
The Best Cheese Ball Recipe
Growing up my mom always made a cheeseball around the holidays and we would polish it off in no time. Not much has changed because now Im doing the same thing for my family.
This is my go-to cheese ball recipe. Its nothing fancy and far cheaper than creating some extravagant cheese board.
Just good old fashioned comfort food with the classic cheddar cheese and cream cheese.
In this version of mine I also like to add sour cream for extra creaminess and for a softer texture, then I like to add garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of black pepper for flavor.
Id recommend skipping the salt though, I know normally salt and pepper just go together but theres already plenty in the ingredients and the crackers youll be serving it with.
How To Make A Classic Cheese Ball
Posted on Last updated:
A cheese ball is the perfect party appetizer and this recipe is for making a Classic Cheese Ball with just a few simple ingredients.
Use this tutorial as a jumping off point with helpful tips for customizing a great ball with your own flavors!
If youd rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Recommended Reading: Does Babybel Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Make Cheese Balls At Home
It took me a few attempts to fry a perfect batch of cheese ball. In the first few attempts, few of the balls broke in the oil while half of them came out perfect. I realized it was because of the temperature of the oil. So, here I am sharing my tried and tested tips to perfectly fry these cheese balls.
Make these cheese balls that are crunchy from outside and filled with melting cheese on the inside. Kids will love this cheese ball snacks. You can even pack it in their lunch box with ketchup on the side or serve it as a tea-time snack with tangy green chutney on the side.
- You can season the cheese balls with your favorite seasoning. If you have oregano, feel free to add them as well.
- Add one ball at a time to check the temperature. Read the tips for deep frying and then proceed with the recipe prep.
- Make hung curd and add in the mix otherwise, the shape of the balls wont be perfect.
Tips For The Best Cheese Ball
Though theres not much that can go wrong when making a cheese ball, here are some added tips we found helpful:
- If you dont have Ranch seasoning, you can substitute the sour cream and Ranch seasoning with your favorite Ranch dressing instead. It is a little easier to form the ball with sour cream though since it is thicker.
- The cream cheese MUST be at room temperature or youll have a really hard time mixing.
- If you enjoy spicy food, add Hot Sauce or Sriracha to the mixture for a kick.
- When serving the cheese ball, serve at room temp for a softer mixture thats easier to spread or dip.
- You can use your favorite cheese or a mixture of cheeses. Mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, four-cheese , Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese are all great options. TIP: Purchase a block of cheese and shred it for better flavor without additives.
Read Also: Babybel Refrigeration