Mac And Cheese Sauce Versatility
Love this sauce and want to mix things up? Here are some ideas on how to repurpose this sauce for something other than mac!
Use on any noodle all out of macaroni noodles? You can literally use 1 lb. of any noodle under the sun!
Nachos we love using this sauce on top of nachos. Think loaded nachos with all the fixings + this cheese sauce.
Burgers/Sandwiches how good would this easy mac and cheese sauce be on top of a burger or sandwich?! Im drooling.
Chili Mac and Cheese mix this cheese sauce with 1 lb. of noodles and a batch of homemade beef chili for some chili mac! Check out our sister sites Chili Mac and Cheese recipe!
Dip when I dip you dip we dip. Grab your favorite tortilla chip and dip away!
More of our Favorite
What To Do With Kraft American Cheese Singles
As the buns toast and the hot dogs cook, Rachel starts on the queso by placing a Velveeta cheese block into a pot while Kainoa adds Krafts Mesquite Smoke Barbeque Sauce to the baked beans. Once the cheese has melted, Rachel pours in the salsa to complete her queso. They then begin to roast some corn on the cob with a light layer of butter.
A laughable product in most other countries, for some reason in America this weak-tasting artificial cheese-like food product seems to fit the palates of many. Here is the nutritional information per slice of Kraft Singles American Cheese: Calories: 70. Fat: 4.5 Grams
Kraft Singles American Cheese Slices are made with quality ingredients, like pasteurized milk, so you can feel good about feeding them to your family. Slide a slice of this deli style cheese into a grilled cheese sandwich, or melt it on top of a juicy burger. For optimum flavor, keep this 16 ounce pack of 24 cheese slices refrigerated until use.
Add ¼ cup milk and the cheese to the bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until smooth and creamy. Stir in chiles and serve immediately. Stove Top: In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the cheese, milk, and butter. Stir frequently, scraping the sides until melted and smooth.
Read Also: Chuck E Cheese Plate
Cooking Tips For Baked Mac And Cheese
- Boiling the pasta cook the pasta less than you normally would. I like to boil my elbow pasta for between 4 and 5 minutes. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, and you dont want it to get mushy.
- Use room temp liquids if you can cold liquids generally take longer to thicken than warmer ones. I usually set my milk and half and half out while the water for the pasta is coming up to a boil.
- The cheeses use your favorites! Our personal favorites are the cheddar and gruyere used in this recipe, but you can be very creative with the cheese selection here. Mozzarella, gouda, smoked gouda, swiss, monterey jack, colby jack, colby. There are plenty of reader comments down below the recipe that talk about the cheeses they used!
- Shred your own I know its a pain, and its SO tempting to use the pre-shredded cheese in the bags. But those bags of cheese contain a starchy substance that keeps the cheese from clumping which also prohibits it from melting as well as it should.
Don’t Miss: Who Has Cheese Crust Pizza
Did You Enjoy This Recipe Here Are Some More You Might Like:
Thank you so much for following along here, friends! Want to see more? Be sure to follow and tag me with your photo if you end up making a recipe! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the here! I always love to see your re-creations! If you do make a recipe, it would make my whole day if you were to rate and comment so I can get your feedback! Lots of love! Haylie
What To Serve With Baked Mac And Cheese
I personally like to enjoy this baked mac and cheese as a side dish, but my kids often eat it as a main course! For the holidays, we serve it with a feast: dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey and pie! Here are some entree and side dish suggestions to go with your mac and cheese.
Also Check: What Cheese Has The Least Calories
Broccoli + Shredded Chicken
This combinationâs got comfort food written all over it, and it couldnât be simpler to whip up, especially if youâve got some leftover roast chicken from the night before. Simply steam or sautÃ© broccoli florets while the noodles boilor better yet, let that pot of water do double duty and toss the broccoli in there. After draining the noodles and mixing in the cheese, stir in the broccoli and shredded chicken until everything is nice and warm.
Read Also: What Sauce Goes On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Can You Make Baked Mac And Cheese Ahead Of Time
Yes, you could make this macaroni and cheese recipe a day or two before you plan to serve it, but the pasta may seem dry once it’s reheated. As it sits, the noodles soak up moisture from the cheese mixture, and after sitting for a while, it may not deliver on the creamy satisfaction you’re wanting.
We recommend making it and serving it fresh from the oven. If you have leftovers, you can reheat them on the stovetop with a little cream or butter to add back that lusciousness.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Yogurt Cheese
How To Avoid Grainy Cheese Sauce:
- The type of cheddar makes a difference. High quality aged cheddar cheese will give you a stronger taste and smoother texture. More mild and inexpensive cheddar cheeses will have less flavor and almost a grittier taste.
- Use fresh grated cheese. Pre-shredded store-bought cheese will not melt the same as freshly grated cheese, and grating the cheese helps it melt smoothly and evenly in the sauce.
- Bring the cheese to room temperature. I like to grate the cheese very first, before moving forward with the recipe. That allows it to sit at room temperature while I prepare the white sauce.
- Use low heat. In order for the cheese to melt properly and smoothly we want it to have gradual changes in temperature . When its time to add the cheese to the white sauce, remove the sauce from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. It only needs to be warm enough to melt the cheese.
- Dont over-stirthe sauce once the cheese has melted. Add the noodles and quickly assemble in pan and put into the oven.
Tricks To Making The Creamiest Mac And Cheese Ever
Thereâs nothing like a warm, gooey bowl of delicious mac and cheese, am I right? Mac and cheese is a comfort food if there ever was one, but if you donât make it right, youâll end up with a less-than-comforting bowl of dried out, not-cheesy-at-all noodles. Worse yet, you might end up with a gritty, mealy mess. That doesnât mean you should turn to that familiar blue box whenever a craving arrives homemade mac and cheese is the best, by far . To make the creamiest mac and cheese ever, you just have to do a couple of things differently than you might do them now. In fact, itâs probably a lot less complicated than you might think. Armed with these tricks and ideas and a little know-how, youâll be well on your way to the creamiest mac and cheese ever. But be careful who you tell once word gets out that youâve mastered this dish, youâll have more dinner guests than you can handle!
Also Check: What Can I Put In Mac And Cheese
Whats The Difference Between Manwich And Sloppy Joes
Technically Manwich is a pre-made sauce thats used to make sloppy joes. Im not sure exactly whats in it, and have never tried it myself, so I cant say that my recipe tastes similar or not. Manwich is marketed as a easy way to make sloppy joes but in reality, homemade sloppy joes are JUST as easy to make!
Classic Macaroni And Cheese Kraft Recipes
I also attempted mac and cheese with evaporated milk, which appeared more like Velveeta than genuine cheese and also left me with a stomachache. I tried mac and cheese with Monterey Jack, as well, which supplies much less taste than cheddar as well as produces an excessively gooey structure .
You May Like: Can I Have Cheese On The Keto Diet
How Can I Dress Up My Macaroni And Cheese
This baked macaroni and cheese may be the most versatile dish ever. Add in some red pepper for kick, any cheeses you like , add veggies like broccoli and chopped chicken and its a one-dish meal even. Or BACON. Hello. Yeah. Make some garlic bread crumbs for the top if you want some crunch and throw those on. Its really endless.
Faqs About Homemade Mac And Cheese
This mac and cheese recipe is one of my most popular, so here are some of the commonly asked questions.
How do you store mac and cheese?
Store the leftovers of this homemade mac and cheese recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Since it thickens as it cools, you may need to add 1-2 TBS of milk when it’s reheated it to restore its original creaminess.
Can homemade mac and cheese be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this homemade mac and cheese, however I don’t recommend it. Since this mac and cheese recipe is so easy to make, there’s really no need to freeze it. If you’re looking for a freezer-friendly mac and cheese recipe check out my baked mac and cheese!
What main dish goes well with mac and cheese?
If you’re looking to serve this mac and cheese recipe as a side dish instead of the main event, here are some suggestions for other dishes that pair well with it: meatloaf
Also Check: How To Make Mac And Cheese For Kids
Why Wont My Widgets Stay On My Mac
Sometimes, a widget can stop working correctly due to an app-related issue. Removing and reinstalling the app might help. To do that, open the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the app to the Trash. Then, reinstall the app via the App Store or download the latest version via the developers website.
How To Make Kraft Mac And Cheese In The Microwave Ingredients Equipments And Instructions
Given the fact that Kraft mac and cheese is easy to cook in a microwave can be ready within minutes, its a quite small single-serve meal. So, if you plan to make mac and cheese dinner for your entire family by using Kraft mac and cheese, this single-served option is not quite a good idea for you. Personally speaking, I think this meal is a perfect option for childrens meals, but its only like a light/ quick meal that an adult should go for if you are hungry while youre in the middle of something.
You May Like: Can You Eat Melted Cheese With Braces
Prepared And Packaged Mixes
Packaged macaroni and cheese are available in frozen form or as boxed ingredients for simplified preparation. Boston Market, Michelina’s, Kraft Foods, Cracker Barrel, and Stouffer’s are some of the more recognizable brands of prepared and frozen macaroni and cheese available in the United States. “Macaroni and cheese loaf”, a deli meat which contains both macaroni and processed cheese bits, can be found in some stores.
A variety of packaged mixes that are prepared in a sauce pan on the stove or in a microwave oven are available. They are usually modeled on Kraft Macaroni & Cheese , which was introduced in 1937 with the slogan “make a meal for four in nine minutes.” It was an immediate success in the US and Canada amidst the economic hardships of the Depression. During the Second World War, rationing led to increased popularity for the product which could be obtained two boxes for one food rationing stamp. The 1953 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook includes a recipe using Velveeta, which had been reformulated in that year. The boxed Kraft product is popular in Canada, where it is the most-purchased grocery item in the country.
Boxed mixes consist of uncooked pasta and either a liquid cheese sauce or powdered ingredients to prepare it. The powdered cheese sauce is mixed with either milk or water, and , butter, or olive oil and added to the cooked pasta. Some mixes prepared in a microwave cook the pasta in the sauce.
Perfect Southern Baked Macaroni And Cheese Basil And Bubbly
I attempted some entirely unique approaches, also. I tried to get away with utilizing pasta-cooking water as opposed to cream, and that left me with a stringy mess. I also tried mac and cheese recipes with cauliflower purée or yogurt, as well as those were not mac and cheese. My simple cheddar-and-cream variation is without a doubt the most effective!.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does Chuck E Cheese Pay In Texas
Ingredients For Baked Mac And Cheese
You only need 6 ingredients to make this incredible macaroni and cheese recipe! Heres the lineup:
- Macaroni noodles. We like classic elbow noodles, but feel free to use any favorite short pasta. Gluten-free noodles work too!
- Butter. A bit of butter is melted in the bottom of the dish and then also layered with noodles and cheese.
- Cheddar cheese. A must when making mac and cheese!
- Muenster cheese. The combination of cheddar and muenster makes the best macaroni and cheese!
- Heavy whipping cream. For ultra decadence!
- Eggs. We use 3 eggs to hold all of the ingredients together.
Store It In The Refrigerator:
To make ahead and serve later, ensure that your pasta isnt overcooked. Err on the side of a little firm rather than too soft, as it will continue to absorb some of the sauce in the fridge.
Store up to 4 days in the refrigerator, tightly covered.
To reheat, add a big splash of water, milk or broth and place, covered, over low heat on the stove. Stir occasionally. If it is still thick and not saucy and creamy, add in another splash of liquid.
Recommended Reading: Who Has The Best Mac And Cheese
Reviving Mac & Cheese
Follow the instructions below to get a creamy, revived dish, and add some flair at the end to make it extra special.
1. Place the macaroni & cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Make sure to only take out what youre going to use.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of milk per cup of mac and cheese. *If youd like to add more creaminess and flavor, substitute half-and-half or cream.
3. Cover with an inverted plate, making sure to use oven mitts when removing from the microwave to avoid burning yourself.
4. Place the dish in the microwave and heat it up slowly: start with one minute, stir the mac and cheese, then continue to heat at 30 second intervals until you reach a desired temperature.
Tip: For extra flavor, mix in some grated cheese, broccoli, or other tasty tidbits before placing in the microwave.
1. Place the macaroni & cheese into an oven-safe dish. Make sure to only take out what youre going to use.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of milk per cup of mac and cheese and mix to incorprate as much as possible. *If youd like to add more creaminess and flavor, substitute half-and-half or cream.
3. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
Tip: For extra flavor or chrunch, add some grated cheese, jalapenos, bread crumbs, or bacon pieces on top and return to the oven uncovered until cheese is melted or bread crumbs are browned.
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese is surprisingly easy and quick!
Also Check: Does Kraft Mac And Cheese Have Dairy
How To Make Mac And Cheese Sauce
Step 1: Make Roux by this point, you already know the ins and outs of a roux and how to make it , so were going to skip to step 2.
Step 2: Whisk in Milk slowly add milk to the roux, whisking constantly so it doesnt burn. Continue to whisk for around 4-6 minutes, or until things begin to thicken.
Dont rush this process. we PROMISE things will thicken!
Step 3: Remove from Heat once things are thick, turn the heat off.
Step 4: Whisk in Shredded Cheese then, add shredded cheese, garlic, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and whisk until the cheese melts.
Give your cheese sauce a taste and add more hot sauce, as desired.
Step 5: Enjoy! mix mac and cheese sauce with macaroni noodles and serve immediately.
Can You Freeze Baked Mac And Cheese
If you want to get ahead for a busy weeknight, you can make a dish of this mac and cheese in advance. But don’t bake it. Instead, follow all the steps, assemble it, and cook it completely. Then cover it with aluminum foil, and put it in the freezer.
When you’re ready to bake it, thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours, then bake it. You may need to add 5 to 10 minutes of cook time for the casserole to be completely done. But just monitor it for a bubbly, browning top. That’ll be your cue it’s ready to come out of the oven.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Step 2
Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 ½ minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 3
Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and, if desired, red pepper until smooth stir in hot cooked pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish prepped with cooking spray top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Read Also: How To Make Mac And Cheese With Milk