Really Fast Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
Get your noodles cooking, 1 pound of macaroni elbows. While they cook, measure 3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese into a blender. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. Put the lid on the blender and give it a shake or two to disperse the flour.
Add 2 cups of cold milk and pulse until well blended. The cheese will be grainy in there, not fully incorporated or anything. Dont worry. Thatll get fixed soon enough.
Transfer mixture to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until its very thick and hot, 3-4 minutes. The cheese might not be totally incorporated at this point. Stir more to melt the cheese and make it smooth.
Drain the noodles when theyre cooked. Add the cheese sauce and stir.
Lickety split! Enjoy! -Christine 🙂
Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe
By Ela on 17. February, 2018 | . This post may contain affiliate links*. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy vegan cheese sauce with minimal ingredients and ready in 3 minutes! A super simple and nut-free plant-based recipe which requires only a handful of ingredients. This vegan queso is perfect for pizza, nachos, Mac and Cheese, burgers, pasta bake, toast, and more savory recipes. The sauce doesnt contain cashews!
To Bake Or Not To Bake:
You dont have to bake the mac and cheese in this recipe. Everything gets fully cooked and is essentially ready to eat after the cheese and noodles are added. However, I love the extra gooeyness that comes when the cheese is baked and I think baking it adds a level of sophistication you just dont get without.
Also Check: How Long Can String Cheese Be Unrefrigerated
Tips For The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
- Use block cheese and shred, do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is great for so many things but not macaroni and cheese. Its coated and wont melt properly. You need to shred it yourself for the best result.
- Cook your pasta to slightly less than al dente, about one minute shy is perfect. The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the homemade cheese sauce in the oven. You dont want soggy macaroni.
- I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular past will work.
- This mac and cheese recipe starts with a roux. The roux is super important to getting the creamiest cheese sauce of your life. Here is what you need to look for:
- The roux is whisked together until bubbly and golden.
- Whisk in cold milk not warm to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Cook the roux until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheese.
Cooking Tips For Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
Ive tested this recipe more times than Id like to admit, and through all those trials and errors, Ive come up with a few helpful tips.
- Spray the crockpot. I know it might sound weird, but it really helps keep the pasta from sticking too much to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use the right liquids. For most of my attempts, I was using regular, whole milk, and every time it would thicken way too much and sort of seize up on me. Ive found that a mixture of chicken broth, evaporated milk, with a little heavy cream for richness, yields the best creamy sauce.
- Grate your own cheeses. I know I know. Its SO tempting to open a bag of pre-shredded cheese from the store and Ive done it on occasion. But most commercial pre-shredded cheeses are coated in cellulose, which essentially keeps the cheese from all clumping together in the bag. Ever noticed how bags of pre-shredded cheese that are coming up on their expiration date usually have clumps of cheese stuck together inside? Its because the cellulose is just about gone from the cheese. That coating prevents the cheese from truly melting down into a gloriously gooey cheese sauce, and can leave your sauce a bit on the gritty side.
Recommended Reading: Soapstone Serving Tray
Cheese Sauce Step By Step
Classic cheese sauce begins with béchamel a simple white sauce made of butter, flour, milk, and a few seasonings. Cheese is then added to the white sauce to create cheese sauce . Here are the three basic steps to make cheese sauce:
It’s that simple, but the trick is knowing how to make the roux, how to add the milk without creating lumps, and how to add the cheese so the sauce turns out smooth and not grainy.
How To Freeze Mac And Cheese Before Baking:
- Once you’ve mixed the grated cheese into the noodles and sauce, portion the mac and cheese into whatever containers you are using.
- Allow the mac and cheese to cool, then sprinkle on the grated cheese.
- Place containers uncovered in freezer until frozen, then cover.
- To reheat, thaw and follow baking instructions above.
Recommended Reading: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
Special Equipment Used In This Recipe
- Box Grater remember, the best mac starts with freshly shredded cheese!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS!
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING!
Post has been updated in September 2019 with new photos and additional information.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
How To Make Mac And Cheese Sauce
Step 1: Make Roux by this point, you already know the ins and outs of a roux and how to make it , so were going to skip to step 2.
Step 2: Whisk in Milk slowly add milk to the roux, whisking constantly so it doesnt burn. Continue to whisk for around 4-6 minutes, or until things begin to thicken.
Dont rush this process. we PROMISE things will thicken!
Step 3: Remove from Heat once things are thick, turn the heat off.
Step 4: Whisk in Shredded Cheese then, add shredded cheese, garlic, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and whisk until the cheese melts.
Give your cheese sauce a taste and add more hot sauce, as desired.
Step 5: Enjoy! mix mac and cheese sauce with macaroni noodles and serve immediately.
Also Check: Laughing Cow Cheese Not Refrigerated
Stovetop Mac And Cheese Option
I love the golden brown edges and top that baking the macaroni and cheese creates, but you dont need to bake it if you dont want to. For a stovetop mac and cheese, simply add the pasta to the cheese sauce and then let it sit, covered for a few minutes. This time gives the pasta a chance to absorb some of the sauce. You can also take a look at this easy macaroni and cheese recipe made on the stovetop.
Easy Macaroni & Cheese
- 8ozdried macaroniabout 2 cups
- ¼ – ½teaspoonground black pepper
- ¼teaspoonsmoked paprikaoptional
- ¼teaspoonground mustardoptional
- 1cupshredded cheddar cheese Shred your own cheddar off the block, don’t buy pre-shredded which is often tossed with a powder that will keep the cheese from melting properly and can leave you with mac & cheese that is both clumpy and runny.
- 4slicesAmerican Cheese of cheddar cheese, but the macaroni will be less creamy)
Also Check: Does Babybel Cheese Melt
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese is surprisingly easy and quick!
White Pepper Vs Black Pepper:
White pepper and black pepper are both the fruit of the pepper plant. They are processed differently which causes the change in color, and end up tasting slightly different. White pepper is hotter than black pepper, but black pepper has a more complex flavor. White pepper tends to have more floral and earthy notes to it.
Also Check: Another Name For Brick Cheese
Two: Add Milk And Seasonings
Making Mac And Cheese Ahead Of Time
- Make as directed , transfer to baking dish and cool completely. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate 1-2 days ahead.
- Before baking, let dish sit on counter for 30 minutes.
- Bake at recipe temperature for 25-35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
As a caveat, this recipe, as with most mac and cheese recipes, loses some of its creaminess when made ahead. This dish has been tested when made right away, which yields the best results.
I would increase the amount of sauce slightly if you need to make this recipe ahead of time.
Recommended Reading: Flat Lay Backdrop Boards
How To Make White Sauce For Mac N Cheese
Youll love this ultra creamy mac and cheese recipe! With the perfect ratio of milk to cheese to sauce, this macaroni and cheese is at the top of my favorites list! Jump to the Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe or watch our quick recipe video showing you how we make it. Ive also shared lots of extra tips in the article below.
How Can I Dress Up My Macaroni And Cheese
This baked macaroni and cheese may be the most versatile dish ever. Add in some red pepper for kick, any cheeses you like , add veggies like broccoli and chopped chicken and its a one-dish meal even. Or BACON. Hello. Yeah. Make some garlic bread crumbs for the top if you want some crunch and throw those on. Its really endless.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Sauce Is On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Ingredients In Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Butter and Flour These are the base of the roux, which is used to thicken the sauce.
- Milk and/or Half and Half You can make this mac and cheese with all whole milk, all half and half, or a blend of the two. I usually use a blend of two.
- Seasonings Keep it simple with salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and a hint of cayenne.
- Cheese The most important part! I use a blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Pick an aged cheddar for the most flavor. Of course, you can also experiment with your favorite cheeses. Try subbing some of the cheddar for American cheese for a more classic blue box style mac. Or try Gruyere, provolone or fontina!
- PastaUse hearty macaroni noodles , and cook them in salted water for the best flavor.
Camping Mac And Cheese
Camping Mac and Cheese? A Pacific Northwest kind of thing.
Probably more of a Laurens Latest thing.
Do you camp? Youre going to want to after one peek at this recipe.
You guys, camping for me isnt just hot dogs over a fire. My mom taught me from a young age that we can eat just as deliciously on vacation at the beach camping then we do at home. It just means a little cooking in advance! So in honor of me having gone on a camping trip sans husband and providing my fellow campers with oatmeal chocolate chip cookie smores, I decided that I should think of more meals that people would probably not want to make or think they couldnt make whilst camping.
Why macaroni and cheese was the first thing that popped into my head, Ill never know. But here is the recipe! I do take a few short cuts, but by golly is this stuff amazing!! Try it and see
Recommended Reading: How To Say Acai In Spanish
Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
There is absolutely nothing I love more than cheese. And when you add pasta to it? Fuggetaboutit.
Mac and cheese is one of those recipes that can take on so many different forms. I love it anyway I can get it but baked mac and cheese is my very favorite and Ill tell you why The topping. I use breadcrumbs for my topping occasionally, but, a Panko topped mac and cheese is just that much better.
I mix in Parmesan, butter, and paprika with the Panko so it crisps up beautifully and gets a nice golden brown color when this amazing homemade mac and cheese is baked.
Im going to be honest here. When I make mac and cheese, its the mac to cheese ratio that I am most concerned about. I love it when the mac and cheese is oeey gooey and the cheese sauce is just so creamy. GIMME.
With all this cheese going on in this macaroni and cheese recipe, I need a little help from my KitchenAid Deluxe Stand Mixer and its handy dandy Fresh Prep Slice/Shredder attachment. I picked up this beauty at Walmart this past week and I am in LOOOOOVE. I was torn between the options: SILVER | COBALT | PISTACHIO. But, when I pictured them in my kitchen, I knew I had to go with the cobalt its just stunning!
I use my stand mixer about 954 times each week. Being a food blogger and mom means Im in my kitchen a lot baking up goodies and whipping up amazing dinners like this homemade baked mac and cheese. I am always, always looking for help in the kitchen and the Kitchen Aid Deluxe Stand Mixer is the answer.
How To Make Single
In under 20 minutes, youll have rich cheesy mac and cheese for one, portion-controlled and so good you could cry. And if you are feeling extra hungry or want to make it for two or more, the recipe sizes up with just a slightly longer cooking time .
Read Also: Babybel Cheese Backpacking
Stovetop Mac And Cheese Vs Baked Mac And Cheese
Anyway you slice it, a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is a good thing to have memorized. Theres no faster way to let your kids / spouse know that you love them than whipping up a batch. Or make it for yourself and call it self-care! Quick, comforting and delicious, this four-ingredient stovetop wonder is hands down the best mac and cheese weve ever eaten.
Now, were not saying that we cant appreciate a baked macaroni and cheese recipethe way the top cheese crust gets all bubbly is so enticingbut stovetop macaroni and cheese is way faster oven-baked, and it reminds us of our childhood love affair with a certain little blue box. For a satisfyingly quick mac and cheese fix, its all about this easy mac and cheese recipe.
How To Make Mac And Cheese With No Milk Recipe
Now, I cant take credit for this yummy recipe on my ownmy best friend, the Tarabelle Anyway, the Tarabelle is one of those friends that you dont see for years and once you get together its like a day hasnt passed!
Anyway, one day the Tarabelle decided she wanted to make mac and cheese for dinner but didnt realize she had no milk left.oops. So she brilliantly came up with this fantastic substitute that Ive started using even when I do have milk.
When I have the time I always make my Ultimate Crock Pot Mac and Cheese because you cant get cheesy goodness any better than that but when Im wanting to make a quick mac and cheese side this is the route I go every timeits the PERFECT last minute side dish!
I typically pair this mac and cheese recipe with these baked pork chops and some delicious brussel sprouts.
Have a milk allergy? Check out this round-up of the BEST Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese Recipes!
Available NOW on
Looking for some delicious and simple recipes to make for dinner? Well, I absolutely LOVE cooking with my pressure cookerits not nearly as intimidating as it seems. And, I can have a delicious dinner ready in no time!
My newest cookbook shares some of my top tips and tricks for using your pressure cooker. Basic care and instructions, as well as my favorite weekday dinner meals.
Order yours today on
Read Also: Are Lunchables Gluten Free