Recipe Notes And Faqs
- If you use goats milk instead of cows, then be even slower and gentler when stirring the milk so as not to disturb the curds too much.
- If your cheese is tough or crumbly, then this is likely down to using too much acidity or heating it incorrectly. However, it can also happen if the curds are broken up too much by rough mixing. Try to reduce the amount of citric acid in the next batch.
- If the cheese is rubbery, then its likely that you overworked it during the stretching phase.
- For a softer mozzarella, stop the curds from becoming as firm and work the cheese even less when stretching .
- You could add some dried herbs to the cheese, if wanted, during the final shaping stage.
- TOP TIP: A failed batch definitely doesnt necessarily mean waste. Even if the cheese is crumbly and wont stretch, this can be used within pasta dishes, into cooked dishes, etc.
Tips For Making Mozzarella Sticks In The Instant Pot Duo Crisp:
Great Lets Make Some Mozzarella
Prepare the citric acid and rennet solutions. Mix 1 ½ teaspoons of citric acid with one cup of lukewarm water, stir until dissolved, and set aside.
Mix ¼ teaspoon of liquid rennet or crushed rennet tablet with ¼ cup of tepid water and set aside.
Pour the gallon of milk into the stockpot and add the citric acid mixture. Stir well and heat over med-low heat. Stir gently every few minutes until the milk reaches 90 degrees F. Remove the milk from the heat.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy Brick Cheese
What Cheese Can Substitute For Mozzarella
Cheese. Other soft cheeses that can replace mozzarella are Colby, Cheddar, Gouda, Edam and Monterey Jack. You can grate the cheese yourself or buy bags of pre-grated cheese. Ricotta, bocconcini and fresh mozzarella are other sweet dishes that add sophistication with their rich, milky texture.
Is cheese good for weight lossIs cheese bad to eat when trying to lose weight? Cheese is a nutrient-rich food that you can include in your diet for weight loss, but it is high in calories, so you should limit how much you eat. The protein in cheese can even help you lose weight by making you feel full and satisfied.What are the healthiest cheeses for weight loss?Brie and other soft cheeses. Although brie i
How To Fry Cheese Sticks
Once youve breaded the cheese you will need to pop them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Getting them really cold before you fry them will help them cook more evenly so you get perfectly gooey cheese with a crispy golden breadcrumb coating.
Use a heavy skillet and fill it with two inches of oil. I recommend that you use a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the heat. For best results, the temperature should be 350°F when you fry your mozzarella sticks.
If your oil is too cold the mozzarella sticks will absorb too much oil while they are cooking making them greasy. If its too hot, the breadcrumb coating will overcook or burn before the cheese is melted. So, keep an eye on the heat and adjust to maintain the temperature.
Once the oil is heated, carefully place the sticks in the hot oil. Fry them for two to three minutes, turning them frequently, until they are golden and crispy.
Transfer them from the oil to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Dont Miss: Is Cheese Bad For Eczema
You May Like: Dominos Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Cheese Queen Ricki Carrolls Recipe For Quick Creamy Fresh Mozzarella Is Perfectly Suited To The Beginner Cheese Maker
Photo © Evi Abeler Photography, excerpted from Home Cheese Making, 4th Edition
Fresh cheeses like mozzarella require little equipment and are excellent choices for beginning cheese makers, as they are quick, delicious, and easy to make no fermenting or aging required.
Many of these high-moisture cheeses are called bag cheeses because the curds are drained in a bag of butter muslin. They are made by coagulating milk or cream with cheese starter or with an acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice. Some recipes call for a little rennet to help firm the curds.
Its important to drain fresh cheeses in a place where the temperature stays close to 72°F usually the kitchen. If the temperature and humidity are too high, you will have problems with yeast, which may produce a gassy, off-flavored cheese. If the temperature is too low, the cheese will not drain properly. The yield from 1 gallon of milk is usually 1½ to 2 pounds of soft cheese, depending on the type of milk you use and the desired consistency of the cheese. The greater the butterfat content, the higher the cheese yield.
Fast, Fresh Mozzarella
The curds are heated to a very high temperature to produce that famous mozzarella stretchiness. Have a pair of heavy rubber gloves and a wooden spoon handy for working the curd in hot water.
Ingredient Substitutions And Variations
- If you dont have Italian seasoning, just mix some dried parsley, paprika, and oregano. You can also use other herbs and spices that you prefer, like onion, cumin, mustard, thyme, and basil powder.
- If you want your Mozzarella Sticks with a punch of spiciness, add some chili powder into the breading mix.
- You can beat the eggs with milk instead of water for better flavor.
- You can also cut the mozzarella sticks into bite-size pieces to make yummy mozzarella bites. Perfect for kids to enjoy without creating so much mess.
- The mozzarella sticks can be baked instead of fried if you dont like too much oil in your food.
You May Like: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Recipe Dominos
How To Make It
1. Sprinkle the citric acid powder into a cool, empty, large non-reactive stockpot. Pour 1/4 cup water over it and stir it to dissolve.
2. Pour the milk into the citric acid solution and stir it to combine.
3. Put the pot over medium-low heat and heat it to 90 degrees You may notice the milk beginning to curdle, but this is a good thing!
4. When the milk reaches 90 degrees, remove the pan from the burner and pour in the rennet mixed with water.
5. Stir the mixture with a gentle, circular up and down motion for about 30 seconds, then use the spoon to stop the motion of the milk so it will be still.
6. Place the lid on the pot and walk away and live your life for exactly five minutes. Dont touch the pan!
After five minutes, the mixture should resemble a very soft custard.
It really was fun to stick our hands in there and feel the consistency. A lot happened in those five minutes! It definitely firms up in a mass, but is still very, very delicate and loose.
7. With a spatula long enough to reach the bottom of the pot , cut the curd into a 1-inch checkerboard pattern, making lines across, then lines in the other direction.
It was at this time that an array of cut the cheese jokes broke out among all of us very mature women.
Im still laughing.
8. Return the pot to the the burner over medium heat and stir it gently until the temperature of the whey reaches 105 degrees.
9. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the curd to a colander set over a bowl.
Thats mozzarella in there!
What To Serve With Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
While these mozzarella sticks are deliciously cheesy on their own, they also make a great appetizer, side dish, or addition to your party spread.
- Salad. For a meal that has nutrition and a little something fun for the kids , try pairing these mozzarella sticks with a filling salad. This Italian Farro Salad, Antipasto Salad, or Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad would all be great.
- Pasta. Who wouldnt love the classic combo of cheesy breaded sticks with pasta? Try these mozzarella sticks as an appetizer to Chicken Pesto Pasta or Farro With Burst Tomatoes and Parmesan.
You May Like: Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Domino’s
Heat Curd & Remove Whey
If in a colander, transfer the curds into a heat safe bowl. Next, microwave the curd for 1 minute.
If desired, add 1 tsp of salt to the curds for added flavor.
You will notice more whey separation from the curd. Drain off all whey as you did before. Quickly work the cheese with a spoon or your hands until it is cool enough to touch .
Microwave two more times for 35 seconds each, and repeat the kneading as in the last step to aid in more whey drain off and ensure even heating of the curds. Drain off all of the whey as you go.
Note: If you prefer to not use a microwave here is a recipe using a water bath where the curds are heated in hot water
Is Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese Good For A Diet
Low-fat mozzarella cheese can be part of a healthy weight loss diet, especially when used as a substitute for whole-milk cheese, added sugars, or refined carbohydrates.
Is Mozzarella Considered A Soft CheeseIs mozzarella a hard or soft cheese?Pasteurized hard or firm cheeses such as Cheddar, Schweizer, Gouda, Parmesan, Brick, Emmentaler and Provolone.Most pasteurized semi-hard cheeses such as Mozzarella, Havarti and Monterey Jack Likewise, you may be wondering if mozzarella is safe to use during pregnancy?Mozzarella cheese. This fresh, mild cheese is safe during pregnancy as long as it is made from pasteurized mil
Also Check: Does Laughing Cow Cheese Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Dry Mozzarella Using Paper Towels
The second step is t dry the mozzarella on a piece of paper towel. All you need to do is to place the mozzarella cheese in a folded piece of paper towel. Add another folded piece of paper towel on top, and let it dry for at least 15-20 minutes. You can leave it longer, but then I recommend placing the cheese in the fridge until youre going to use it.
To make it even easier to dry the cheese properly, I recommend cutting into sticks. This also makes it easy to use the cheese when youre ready to add it to your pizza.
How To Make Diy Mozzarella Cheese For Amazing Pizza
Cheesemaking can be both a fun and healthy way to teach your kids about food. Its a little time consuming, but with the right tools and planning, anyone can do it! In her new book, One-Hour Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Chèvre, PaneerEven Burrata. Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in an Hour or Less!, Claudia Lucero gives readers not only recipes with gorgeous photos, but a comprehensive list of how to set yourself up for DIY cheese making success!
Inspired to teach herself the ancient practice of cheesemaking, Lucero set out to find a way to make fresh, homemade cheese the old fashioned way without any complicated instructions or fancy equipment. The result was a successful DIY cheesekit business, Urbancheesecraft.com, sold on Etsy and at Williams-Sonoma and select Whole Foods. Now Claudia shares her expertise in the inspiring, full color cookbook, ONE HOUR CHEESE: RICOTTA, MOZZARELLA, CHÈVRE, PANEEREVEN BURRATA. FRESH AND SIMPLE CHEESES YOU CAN MAKE IN AN HOUR OR LESS!
Heres just one of our favorite DIY cheese recipes from the book:
Favorite Melty Mozzarella Cheese
- Parchment or waxed paper
- Large bowl for ice bath
1Stir the citric acid into the ½ cup water and set aside.
2Dissolve the ¼ tablet of rennet in the ¼ cup of water and set it aside.
3Pour the milk into the pot. Optional: Add the cup of cream to make a more succulent cheese, closer to fresh mozzarella di bufala!
Also Check: Babybel Cheese Backpacking
Tip: You Can Also Use String Cheese
I have tested this recipe using string cheese, and it worked well. Personally, I prefer the texture of block mozzarella cheese, as its a bit more stretchy while the string cheese was more of a wet gooeyness. Block cheese is also easier to bread. But an advantage of string cheese is you have pieces that are already uniform in size. Just cut them in half in the center to create smaller pieces.
How To Cook Cheese Sticks
These Cheese Sticks will have the best results deep fried, it makes them crispy and delicious. They can be baked in the oven or cooked in the air fryer but the best results come from frying! When baking or air frying, a bit of the cheese may leak out, this is normal and theyll still be delish!
- To Bake Cheese Sticks: Spray cheese sticks with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 9-11 minutes or until crumbs are crisp and cheese is melted.
- To Cook Cheese Sticks in the Air Fryer: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Cook cheese sticks in small batches for 4-6 minutes or until crumbs are crisp and cheese is melted.
Also Check: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last
Fresh Mozzarella From Scratch
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Making your own cheese at home is a lot easier than you may think. In just 30 minutes you can make your own, homemade, Fresh Mozzarella From Scratch!
Homemade cheese!! It’s the pinnacle of from scratch cooking that may seem scary or daunting, but truly, is much easier than you might think! Our Fresh Mozzarella From Scratch is the first cheese that we started making when this SFS journey started in 2013!
When it comes to cheese, it’s my choice over chocolate. Never eat chocolate again? Ugh, ok. Never eat cheese again? You’ll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands! So being about to make our own fresh mozzarella? Game-changing!
Is Mozzarella Cheese High In Calcium And Carbs
Potassium and carbohydrates. Mozzarella cheese is a low-carb food that can help you lose weight if you follow a high-protein diet, such as the Atkins or South Beach diet. An ounce of semi-fat mozzarella cheese contains just 0.79 grams of carbohydrates.
Carbs in cheddar cheeseHow many calories are in a slice of cheddar cheese? Nutritional Information: There are 113 calories in 1 slice of cheddar cheese. Calories: 74% from fat, 1% from carbohydrates, 25% from protein.Is sharp cheddar healthy?Cheddar cheese is also a good source of vitamins, including vitamins A, B12 and riboflavin. Cheddar cheese is a source of sodium, but one ounce provides only 8% of the RDI.Is it good to eat a lo
Don’t Miss: Does Babybel Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Dispose Of Cooking Oil
First things first, if you know youre going to do more frying soon just save the oil to use again! Let the oil cool, then use a coffee filter or cheesecloth to remove any crumbs, and store in an airtight glass container in a cool, dark place.
But if youre not saving it for another round, make sure to take the proper steps to discard the oil at home:
- Pack it and throw it away. Let the oil cool completely, then pour into a non-recycleable container with a lid and throw it in the trash. Examples would be milk cartons, takeout containers, or other plastic or wax-lined paper containers.
- Pour it in the trash carefully and strategically. Once oil has cooled, slowly pour into the center of your trash can on top of absorbent items like paper towels, or discarded kitty litter. You dont want it to pool into the bottom of the bag, because that could go south.
- Freeze it and toss it. Pour cooled oil into an old can and place in the freezer. Once its solid, dump it into the trash.
How To Make This Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
Pour milk into pot, sprinkle with citric acid and stir well. Milk must be cold or the citric acid does not work well.
Pour dissolved rennet into the milk while stirring.
Turn off the heat.
Stir slowly and after a few minutes, the milk will begin to thicken. Globs of white curd will separate from the liquid .
If it doesn’t coagulate immediately, let the milk sit for about 30 minutes.
Once the milk has coagulated and the whey separated, turn heat to high and heat milk to 110F.
Place a colander over another pot and pour or spoon out the curds into the colander.
Continue to heat the whey.
Press whey out of the curds in the colander.
Place the curds back into the pot of whey and heat until 120 F.
Now, for the fun part of making homemade mozzarella cheese!
With a spoon, lift the curds out of the whey – cool a few seconds, if necessary, and begin pulling and stretching it into a rope.
The cheese will break apart at this point if it is not hot enough – just put it back into the whey and let it heat further.
After stretching it into a rope, return it back into the whey to heat back up.
Once heated again, stretch it again.
Continue this process several times until it takes on a shiny, soft and smooth appearance.
The photo above is from the first stretching and as you can see it is tearing on the left side. It needs a few more stretches.
It should be ready by the time the whey reaches 150F – 160F.
Knead the salt into the cheese but work quickly as it must be hot to absorb the salt.
You May Like: How Long Will String Cheese Last Unrefrigerated