Whats The Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
Honestly, you can add any soft or semi-hard cheese to macaroni and cheese for flavor. Yet we feel that the sauce texture is perfected by the addition of cream cheese.
To get the best classic cheese flavor, I like a blend of:
- Sharp Cheddar For its bold iconic flavor.
- Muenster For its nutty essence and magical melting abilities. Gouda is the next best cheese, if Muenster is not available.
- Cream Cheese For its silky texture and tangy note to balance the flavors.
Homemade Mac And Cheese Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Mac and Cheese is a rich, creamy casserole that is truly a show stopper! Not only is this creamy macaroni and cheese recipe easy to make it, has a special ingredient making it extra delicious!
This dish has so much velvety cheese in a quick homemade sauce that, once you try it, this is going to be the only baked macaroni & cheese dish youll ever need!
Hello, my name is Holly and I am addicted to Macaroni and Cheese. It doesnt even have to be fancy, I love crock pot mac & cheese, stove top mac and cheese, baked mac and cheese or even out of a little blue box.
Of all of the mac and cheese recipes, *this* little gem right here is the best mac and cheese recipe ever and always gets rave reviews!
Stovetop Mac And Cheese Without Flour
If all of that hasnt convinced you to give a roux-based mac and cheese another go, or if you need to avoid flour completely for dietary reasons, there are a couple of options amongst the stovetop recipes:
- Sabrinas mac and cheese recipe on Dinner then Dessert uses blended cottage cheese with full fat milk and half-and-half. Its worth noting that a few readers commented theyd had issues getting this recipe to thicken up. Just as many though comment on how good theirs turned out.
- If youre looking for a really quick and easy approach, This is Not Diet Food make their mac and cheese with a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup. This significantly shortcuts the sauce-making process. If you cant eat flour though you should check the label of the can, as its quite commonly used to thicken soups as well.
But if youre not tied to the stovetop, theres a whole other method of making mac and cheese without flour.
Also Check: What Wine Goes With Cheese And Crackers
How To Reheat Your Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
Reheating tip: sometimes when you reheat mac and cheese in the microwave the sauce will separate a little bit. To fix this, just splash in a little milk after you have warmed it up and stir. That should bring your sauce back together.
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on , & ! Id love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
Why Do You Want Mac And Cheese Without Flour
If you need to avoid flour for dietary reasons, then you should skip down to the section on making macaroni and cheese without flour. Based on the 20 recipes I reviewed you have a few good options available to you.
But if youre avoiding flour because youve previously struggled with making your cheese sauce, Id encourage you to read on. With attention to a few tips its not hard to master, and a good white sauce really will make your mac and cheese beautifully smooth and creamy.
Don’t Miss: How Far Is Chuck E Cheese
Tips For The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
- Use block cheese and shred, do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is great for so many things but not macaroni and cheese. Its coated and wont melt properly. You need to shred it yourself for the best result.
- Cook your pasta to slightly less than al dente, about one minute shy is perfect. The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the homemade cheese sauce in the oven. You dont want soggy macaroni.
- I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular past will work.
- This mac and cheese recipe starts with a roux. The roux is super important to getting the creamiest cheese sauce of your life. Here is what you need to look for:
- The roux is whisked together until bubbly and golden.
- Whisk in cold milk not warm to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Cook the roux until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheese.
Easy Macaroni & Cheese
- 8ozdried macaroniabout 2 cups
- ¼ – ½teaspoonground black pepper
- ¼teaspoonsmoked paprikaoptional
- ¼teaspoonground mustardoptional
- 1cupshredded cheddar cheese Shred your own cheddar off the block, don’t buy pre-shredded which is often tossed with a powder that will keep the cheese from melting properly and can leave you with mac & cheese that is both clumpy and runny.
- 4slicesAmerican Cheese of cheddar cheese, but the macaroni will be less creamy)
Don’t Miss: Does Walmart Sell Gouda Cheese
Mascarpone Creates Magnificent Mac And Cheese
Mascarpone is an Italian double- or triple-cream soft cheese that is often the shining star of dessert dishes like Italian cheesecakes or tiramisu. Its high fat content, however , makes mascarpone an excellent choice for savory dishes as well.
Celebrity chef Michael Symon makes his mouth-watering mac and cheese with a blend of mascarpone, cheddar, and half and half. Over at The New York Times, Melissa Clark combines mascarpone with Brie and cream cheese for a mac and cheese with an undoubtedly velvety finish.
How To Make Mac And Cheese Without Flour
Everyone loves mac & cheese, but making a roux takes time and can be a pain to get right. No one wants grainy mac and cheese!
Read on to discover how to make mac and cheese without flour, but also how to make a better roux.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Tickets At Chuck E Cheese
Special Equipment Used In This Recipe
- Box Grater remember, the best mac starts with freshly shredded cheese!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS!
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING!
Post has been updated in September 2019 with new photos and additional information.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese is surprisingly easy and quick!
Recommended Reading: Is Cheese High In Purines
Tips To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
- Cook your pasta al dente as the noodles cook extra in the sauce and you dont want them mushy.
- Dont forget to salt your pasta water.
- While not everyone agrees with rinsing the pasta after cooking, in this particular recipe it stops the noodles from cooking and the sauce is created with a texture that pairs perfectly with the rinsed noodles.
- A sharper cheddar cheese will add a stronger cheese flavor.
- Pre-shredded cheeses contain additives to keep it from sticking together which affects the way it melts. The sauce is best if you shred your own cheeses.
- Allowing the baked macaroni and cheese to rest for a few minutes after baking will thicken the sauce.
- Most importantly of allDo not over bake this recipe.
When cooking your macaroni noodles, cook them according to the package directions but you want them to be still firm. If your package says 6-8 minutes, just cook them 6 you get the idea. I choose not to top this baked macaroni casserole with a bread crumb mixture but if you really like bread crumbs on your macaroni and cheese, by all means, add some!
Make The Cheese Sauce
While the macaroni is cooking, make the cheese sauce. It’s really easy but there are a few notes that we’ll go over to ensure your success!
Make a Roux
This homemade mac and cheese sauce starts with a roux. What is a roux? It’s a mixture of fat and flour that is used to create thick sauces. Start by melting the butter and then adding the dry ingredients .
Use a whisk to combine the ingredients until the mixture is homogenous . Let it cook for about 60 seconds before moving on!
Add wet ingredients.
After the roux has cooked for 60 seconds, add the milk and whisk the mixture really well. Add the sour cream or Greek yogurt and whisk again. At this point the mixture will be fairly runny. Cook over medium heat whisking every 10-15 seconds until the sauce starts to thicken.
Do NOT let this mixture boil! If you do you may end up with a mac and cheese sauce that is too thick. Once the sauce has thickened enough to stick to a spatula, turn the heat to low. Then it’s time for the next step…
Add the cheese & whisk until smooth
Add the cheese and whisk until the sauce is smooth and all the cheese is melted. This will take 1-2 minutes over low heat. At this point it is important to taste the cheese sauce and adjust the salt/garlic according to your tastes!
Don’t Miss: Does Chuck E Cheese Sell Alcohol
How To Make Macaroni And Cheese At Home
There are two fundamentally different approaches to homemade mac and cheese. You can make it on the stovetop, or you can make it in the oven. And then theres a third approach, which is a combination of the two. And these different methods each make multiple appearances across the recipes I reviewed .
Whichever approach you take, theres always an ingredient included whos role is to thicken the sauce. And for the majority of these recipes, that ingredient is flour.
Thats not to say you cant make mac and cheese without flour. But before you do, I have a question for you.
The Role Of A Roux In Mac And Cheese
At its heart, mac and cheese is just that pasta and cheese. But on its own, cheese doesnt make for a great sauce. When its hot it tends to be sticky and stringy. As it cools a little, it can hold together alright, but then as it cools more it tends to get firm and clumpy.
To overcome this, most mac and cheese recipes use a white sauce to carry the cheese. The role of flour is to thicken the white sauce.
When flour, or more specifically the starch in flour, is exposed to water, it absorbs the water and swells. This is the fundamental process behind how flour thickens a sauce. So why not just throw flour into a sauce to thicken it?
When starch absorbs water, it doesnt just swell. It also clumps or sticks together. And hey presto, youve got a grainy or lumpy sauce! Yuck.
This is where the butter comes in. When you first cook the flour in fat, it coats the starch particles. This prevents them from sticking together, but it doesnt stop them from absorbing liquid. This allows each starch molecule to swell up and move freely around your sauce, which thickens it without becoming grainy. Exactly what we want!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Easy Cheese Sauce
Easy Baked Macaroni And Cheese
The key to this baked macaroni and cheese is the rich and velvety cheese sauce made with sharp cheddar and smooth cream cheese. Topped with breadcrumbs and baked for a wonderfully crisp and textured finish, this is comfort food at its best.
If youve been in a dinner rut lately, you likely need a boost of motivation with a simple strategy. Heres what I do and youre welcome to borrow it: prepare a new-to-you dinner recipe just once a week. When Im bored in the kitchen, I use this easy and manageable one-night-a-week commitment to keep dinnertime creative, interesting, and satisfying.
The latest and greatest dinner recipe in my kitchen is baked macaroni and cheese. Its certainly nothing new and unique, but it makes a terrific meat-free meal alongside something healthier like fresh salad or steamed green beans.
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese Ingredients:
- Cream Cheese: I use this to help make the cheese sauce a bit creamier and a little more stable, not as likely to break when reheated and the macaroni and cheese reheats nicer, its not as greasy.
- Seasoning: garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper.
- Elbow Noodles: I typically use small elbow noodles, but you can use large also.
Also Check: How Do You Bake Mac And Cheese
Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
There is absolutely nothing I love more than cheese. And when you add pasta to it? Fuggetaboutit.
Mac and cheese is one of those recipes that can take on so many different forms. I love it anyway I can get it but baked mac and cheese is my very favorite and Ill tell you why The topping. I use breadcrumbs for my topping occasionally, but, a Panko topped mac and cheese is just that much better.
I mix in Parmesan, butter, and paprika with the Panko so it crisps up beautifully and gets a nice golden brown color when this amazing homemade mac and cheese is baked.
Im going to be honest here. When I make mac and cheese, its the mac to cheese ratio that I am most concerned about. I love it when the mac and cheese is oeey gooey and the cheese sauce is just so creamy. GIMME.
With all this cheese going on in this macaroni and cheese recipe, I need a little help from my KitchenAid Deluxe Stand Mixer and its handy dandy Fresh Prep Slice/Shredder attachment. I picked up this beauty at Walmart this past week and I am in LOOOOOVE. I was torn between the options: SILVER | COBALT | PISTACHIO. But, when I pictured them in my kitchen, I knew I had to go with the cobalt its just stunning!
I use my stand mixer about 954 times each week. Being a food blogger and mom means Im in my kitchen a lot baking up goodies and whipping up amazing dinners like this homemade baked mac and cheese. I am always, always looking for help in the kitchen and the Kitchen Aid Deluxe Stand Mixer is the answer.
How To Make A Southern Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
There’s a secret ingredient in this recipe that adds so much rich, creamy flavor to the dish: sour cream! I learned the tip from the Queen of Southern Mac and Cheese herself, Paula Deen, and I’ve never looked back. This recipe is slightly tweaked from Paula Deen’s macaroni and cheese recipe that she serves at The Lady & Sons restaurant in Savannah, because there’s no sense in messing with a good thing. It’s the best of the best, and I hope that you love it as much as we do!
You May Like: Is Cottage Cheese Gluten Free
Tips For Making Stovetop Mac And Cheese
- I chose to use cavatappi noodles, as I love the shape and thickness of them. But feel free to use whatever type of noodle you have on hand.
- I prefer using a blend of shredded cheddar and mozzarella in my creamy stovetop mac and cheese, but youre welcome to use any cheese you have on hand.
- To add more flavor to this mac n cheese, I like to add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and a dash of paprika or ground nutmeg.
- Looking for a more distinct cheesy taste? Use ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan or cheddar jack cheese, ¾ cup of shredded mozzarella, and 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar.
- Note that you can use any milk youd like in this homemade mac and cheese recipe. If you use a non-dairy milk, double check that its unsweetened and unflavored first.
This creamy stovetop mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food meal, friends! So perfect for a cold winter night when you want something quick, easy, and delicious!
Boiling Your Pasta And Making The Cheese Sauce
Boil your pasta in salted water until ALMOST al dente. Dont cook it all the way because the pasta will continue to soften while it is baking in the oven, and you DO NOT want overcooked pastait is the actual worst! When your pasta is cooked drain it and rinse it in cold water to stop the cooking process.
While the pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large sauce pan. Once its melted, add the flour and whisk into a roux. Cook the roux for about 2 minutes until it becomes golden brown. When the roux is cooked whisk in the milk and cream and stir until it is smooth and begins to thicken.
Once the sauce has thickened up, remove it from the heat and stir in 2 CUPS of the cheese. Save the rest for later. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted, then add your garlic powder and salt and pepper. Make sure to taste and adjust your cheese and seasonings to your liking.
You May Like: Where To Find Dairy Free Cheese