How Do You Make Paneras Broccoli Cheddar Mac & Cheese
This is a fairly easy recipe and you make it all on the stove top but it takes a little bit of time and a couple of pots.
- First up, boil your pasta! Panera uses a Pipe Regatta pasta which is pretty hard to find so I went with extra large macaroni.
- Next veggie time! Saute broccoli, carrots and onion in a little butter until softened. This is a key step you want to chop all the veggies fairly small but still with bite-size pieces. I mainly used the leafy parts of the broccoli and shredded the carrots to stay true to Paneras soup.
- For the cheese sauce I highly recommend getting all your ingredients set out and measured. The steps go quickly you dont want to burn something because youre measuring!
- To start, in a sauce pan, make a rue by melting butter and then adding flour.
- Youll want the measured milk, cream and chicken broth close by with your whisk.
- Alternate adding them all to the flour/butter mixture and your sauce will form quickly!
- Let this thicken for about five minutes whisking the whole time.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in your spices.
- Finally, back to the stove and whisk in your cheeses and stir until melty and smooth.
- Then, add your cooked veggies and pour mac in. Stir and serve!
A Few Important Tips:
Panera Mac & Cheese Copycat Recipe
Lets learn how to make Panera Breads Famous White Cheddar Mac & Cheese at home and even better!
In 2019, a video went viral on TikTok of a Panera employee taking out a package of frozen macaroni and cheese to defrost it in hot water before serving. It came as a huge shock because their Mac and Cheese is so good that even I thought it was made from scratch! The company reassured everyone though that it was shipped frozen to avoid any preservatives but unfortunately, the girl lost her job over the scandal.
Either way, fresh or frozen, Panera Mac and Cheese holds a very special place in my heart. I used to go to Panera Bread everyday after high school to do homework and study for exams. I always ordered the mac and cheese with a French baguette on the side. Once the Mac and cheese was done, I dipped the bread in the leftover cheese sauce because it was just that good.
Today were going to make it at home fresh and even better!
Also Check: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last Unrefrigerated
More Panera Bread Copycat Recipes
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Make the sauce while the pasta is cooking.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Stir and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the cold milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook and stir the sauce until it is thickened.
- If the white American cheese is not sliced, cut it into cubes.
- Add the white American cheese into the sauce. Stir and cook until the cheese has melted.
- Add the white sharp cheese and Dijon mustard. Stir and cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce has a smooth consistency.
- The cheese sauce should be ready the same time the pasta is done.
- Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot or in a large bowl.
- Add the sauce to the pasta. Stir to combine the cheese and the pasta together.
- Serve immediately.
Instant Pot Copycat Panera Mac And Cheese
- 1 lb large shell pasta
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ stick of salted butter
- 2 cups of white cheddar cheese, cut into chunks
- 6 to 8 white american cheese, quartered
- 1 c milk
- 4 ½ cups of water
Add water, salt, butter and pasta to the instant pot.
Seal the lid and select manual pressure.
Set the timer for 4 minutes.
It takes 7-10 minutes before the timer begins to countdown.
After the beep of the timer, use the quick release valve to release pressure.
Open the instant pot and drain almost all of the remaining water from the noodles. You can leave a little.
Place the pot back in the pressure cooker,add mustard powder, pepper, milk and both cheeses.
Stir the cheeses into the noodles and replace the lid.
Allow everything to melt for about 5 minutes and stir again.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
This recipe makes 8 servings, and is perfect to store in containers to have an easy lunch or dinner idea for the kids all week.
Heres another version, if you dont have an instant pot
Cook pasta shells according to package directions drain well.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot and slowly stir in the flour to form a thick paste. Whisk in milk, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard combine well.
Add in the cheeses and salt and stir until melted and combined thoroughly. Stir in cooked pasta shells.
If you like this recipe for Copycat Panera Bread White Cheddar Mac and Cheese then leave a comment below!
Read Also: Is Babybel Cheese Pasteurized
More Pasta Recipes To Love
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy pot to medium heat.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the butter and let melt.
- Add onion, stir, and cook 5 minutes or until translucent and softened but not browned.
- Turn down heat to low-medium .
- Add broth, paprika, garlic powder, broccoli, carrot, and macaroni. Stir and cover.
- Cook 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Check for doneness. Add cheeses and the rest of the butter . Stir together.
- Turn heat off. Cover and let sit until cheeses melt .
- Once cheese is melted, stir in milk and cover about 5 minutes to warm. Stir again before serving.
How To Quickly Make Garlic Lime Chicken
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Cheese Sticks Last Unrefrigerated
How To Make The Best White Cheddar Macaroni And Cheese:
Looking For More Pasta Recipes
Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni A delicious ground beef recipe that is cheesy and is an EASY recipe for a delicious weeknight dinner idea.
Spinach and Artichoke Pasta A hearty and delicious pasta recipe that is loaded with spinach, artichoke hearts, sliced chicken sausage, all tossed in a creamy tomato-based sauce.
Sausage Tortellini Soup A creamy and delicious soup that is loaded with Italian sausage, tender tortellini noodles, and a creamy and cheesy soup base.
Try this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese from Deliciously Seasoned. Its a creamy and delicious macaroni and cheese recipe with a secret ingredient of butternut squash. Delicious!
Don’t Miss: Chuck E Cheese Plate
Heating Mac And Cheese In A Microwave:
Grab a microwavable dish, preferably glass and not plastic. Add the desired amount of mac and cheese to the bowl, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to two minutes.
I find that this mac and cheese can dry out in the microwave easier than the oven, so you can cover with a damp paper towel, or add an extra tablespoon of buttermilk before heating.
Can You Freeze Paneras Macaroni And Cheese
Yes thank goodness! I made a BIG pot of this its sort of hard not too! I had to freeze half of the mac & cheese solely so I wouldnt be eating it for a week straight!
I use these glass containers theyre BPA free, seal better than a plastic container and heat up with no stained containers.
To reheat Ill let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. If its a little dry add milk or chicken broth to sauce it back up.
You May Like: How Long Is Babybel Cheese Good For
Freezing And Reheating Mac And Cheese
For best results when freezing leftover mac and cheese, simply follow a few easy steps:
- Allow the mac and cheese to cool off completely.
- Portion it into plastic food storage bags. Flatten the bags and freeze the bags horizontally on a baking sheet. Once frozen you can place them upright to save space in your freezer.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup of water.
- Peel the freezer bag off away from the frozen mac and cheese and add the brick to the pan of warm water. Cover and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered until the mac and cheese is heated through and creamy. Add more water if needed.
How To Make Panera Mac And Cheese
Serve this delicious homemade macaroni and cheese immediately.
I hope you give this recipe a try.
Don’t Miss: Are Blue Diamond Almonds Keto
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Mac And Cheese
Dec 8, 2021 · Modified: Dec 8, 2021 by Carmy · This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Made with simple everyday ingredients, this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese just hits the spot every time! Bringing together this classic mac and cheese and broccoli cheese soup, this one pot pasta is so creamy and cheesy.
Rich and thick, this homemade version of Panera Bread’s broccoli cheddar mac and cheese is a classic that I can never get enough of! My go-to order at Panera, this creamy mac and cheese is impossible to turn down. You’re going to want seconds!
Why Is Evaporated Milk Great For Sauces
Evaporated milk is much less likely to curdle when heated with the cheese. It creates a creamier sauce that will stay creamy even when it cools down. Thus, this tasty dish will reheat nicely thanks to that simple ingredientjust add a few tablespoons of milk before heating it up. Use evaporated milk in your favorite soups and sauces for a silky texture.
Recommended Reading: Laughing Cow Cheese Refrigerate
How Do You Microwave Panera Mac And Cheese
. In this manner, how does Panera cook their mac and cheese?
Panera’s mac and cheese is made offsite, in a centralized kitchen, then shipped frozen to locations. Employees reheat bags of the mac and cheese individually when customers order the dish. Panera is far from the only chain to cook or reheat food by having employees dunk it in hot water.
is Panera mac and cheese good? Panera Mac& Cheese is like crack from the gods. It’s so creamy and cheesy and is perfect heated up or even cold! I love getting this in the restaurant and having their fresh Caesar salad. It is SO good and even though it’s a little bit expensive it is well worth it every once in a while.
Likewise, people ask, are Panera bowls microwavable?
Panera Bread® at Home Mac & Cheese 16 oz. Microwave Bowl. Tender shell pasta perfectly nestled in our signature blend of creamy cheese sauce and tangy Vermont white cheddar cheese. Place cup on microwave-safe plate.
How much is Panera mac n cheese?
Panera Bread Prices
Storing And Reheating Panera Broccoli Cheddar Mac And Cheese
You can store your mac and cheese in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for between 3 and 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to a year. To reheat your mac and cheese, place it in a baking dish and add 1 tablespoon of milk per cup of mac and cheese, stirring to incorporate the milk as much as possible. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Recommended Reading: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Dominos Ingredients
Make Ahead/crock Pot Method
- Cook the pasta for 2-3 minutes less than al dente. Drain.
- Prepare the cheese sauce and let it cool a bit after youve made it.
- Use a silicone spatula to combine the pasta into the sauce until just combined, dont overmix. Its okay if its not all coated perfectly.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 days.
- Place in a Slow Cooker on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
The Ultimate Comfort Food Recipe
This Panera broccoli cheddar mac and cheese takes our favorite comfort food to the next level. Even without the veggies, this mac and cheese would be spectacular with its rich, creamy cheese sauce. However, when you add the onions, carrots, and perfectly cooked broccoli, this becomes the ultimate comfort food. Every piping hot bite is loaded with the flavors of rich cheese sauce, onion, carrots, and broccoli that is cooked to just tender perfection. It fills you up in both body and soul, and thats the real hallmark of a great recipe.
Also Check: Babybel Expiration
How To Make It
See recipe card at the bottom of post for ingredient quantities and full instructions
PRO TIP: Shred the cheese from a block, it wont melt well if its pre-shredded from a bag. Allow it to come to room temperature prior to mixing into the sauce. This is the secret to an ultimate creamy consistency. Also ensure that the base is warm and not too hot when you add the cheese, otherwise you can end up with a gritty consistency.
Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat and whisk in flour. Continue to whisk until it begins to turn a light golden color.
Slowly add the heavy cream and milk. Add the seasonings and hot sauce. Whisk for about 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and gradually sprinkle in cheese, whisking continuously. Sauce will continue to thicken upon standing.
Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Serve! See below for instructions on Baked Macaroni and Cheese or the Crock Pot Method.
How To Make Panera Bread Mac And Cheese
Who likes Panera Bread Mac and Cheese? If the answer is no, thats probably because youve never had it. This is a cult favorite for many, but I dont live near a Panera Bread . So this recipe is a recreation that I think comes pretty close.
A warning: Paneras mac and cheese is pretty caloric, with 980 calories in a large serving. So, this one is up there too. Obviously no shame if you eat a bucketful, but it is pretty filling if I do say so myself. To start, just boil some noodles in a pot and then strain. The rest of the meal will be cooked in the same pot, so dont get rid of it!
Read Also: Red Diamond Merlot 2011
Panera Mac And Cheese Copycat Recipe
Published: by Lois Â· This post may contain affiliate links Â·
Sharing is caring!
This copycat recipe for Panera Mac and Cheese is made in one pot and ready in 30 minutes! It’s creamy, delicious and perfect side dish to serve with any of my family favorite chicken recipes. Your family is going to love this recipe as much as mine does.
Raise your hand if you love mac and cheese as much as I do? Now, raise your hand if you love Panera Mac and Cheese as much as I do?
If you raised your hand for both questions, then you’re visiting my blog at the right time today. Today’s recipe is a copy cat version of the very famous Panera Bread Mac and Cheese recipe.
To make this recipe even better is that it’s ready to eat in 30 minutes. You really can’t beat that, right?
Make The Cheese Sauce
The secret to making a thick sauce is with FLOUR. After melting some butter in a pot, dump in a quarter cup of flour and stir it together with the melted butter. Keep it over medium-low heat so the flour doesnt burn, and be sure to stir pretty quickly. Once it looks golden and combined, its time to add the milk.
I use about 1/2 cup of heavy and 2 cups almond milk . You can also use skim milk. The heavy cream will make it creamy and the additional milk will keep it gooey.
Im not entirely sure what cheese Panera uses, but a mixture of white cheddar and Monterey jack seemed to come pretty close. Be sure to grate your cheese before adding it to the pot, and it will melt pretty fast.
Read Also: How Long Does Babybel Cheese Last