How To Bread Mozzarella Cheese
How Do You Make String Cheese Out Of Shredded Cheese
How to Make String Cheese
How To Bread Mozzarella Sticks
Once you have your ingredients you will want to set up your bowls so its easy to bread all of the cheese.
- Combine the panko, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl.
- Add the flour to a separate shallow bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk with the egg, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
Dip a cheese stick in the buttermilk mixture, then coat it in the flour.
Coat it in more buttermilk and then roll it in the breadcrumb mixture. You might need to gently press the breadcrumbs into the cheese so they stay on.
Don’t Miss: Is Cheese Allowed On A Keto Diet
Freeze Them For Later
Freeze the mozzarella sticks right on the tray for at least two hours. This is absolutely essential and this step should not be skipped, otherwise the cheese will melt too quickly in the fryer, before the shell has a chance to set.
Make-ahead: I always bag some of the frozen mozzarella sticks and save them for later. Write the date on the bag, and store them for up to 2 months. Simply deep fry them whenever youre ready to eat.
How Does The Air Fryer Work
So, the air fryer is a bit of magic. Its basically a convection oven that sits on your countertop. But because its small and mighty, it will heat up to temperature faster than your oven, and cook pretty fast, too.
The air fryer works from the outside in, which means if you dont do your prep work for these mozzarella sticks well enough, youre going to literally have a hot mess on your hands. The sticks will explode and stick to the inside of your air fryer.
- New to the air fryer? Check out our First Timer’s Guide to Using an Air Fryer.
You May Like: Where Is Velveeta Cheese In Grocery Store
Tip: You Can Also Use String Cheese
I have tested this recipe using string cheese, and it worked well. Personally, I prefer the texture of block mozzarella cheese, as its a bit more stretchy while the string cheese was more of a wet gooeyness. Block cheese is also easier to bread. But an advantage of string cheese is you have pieces that are already uniform in size. Just cut them in half in the center to create smaller pieces.
How Long To Deep Fry Mozzarella Sticks
Heat the oil in the deep fryer to 355F. Once the oil has come to temperature, slowly drop in a handful of breaded cheese sticks. Let them cook for about 2 minutes. Turn them over after a minute, so that all sides of the breading can brown.
Take them out of the oil and place them on a plate lined with a paper towel. This will allow the excess oil to drain. After resting for about one minute, serve the cheese sticks with marinara or pizza sauce.
Read Also: How To Cook Cheese Dip
Top Tips For Making Homemade Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Have fun with different flavors of cheese sticks!
- When coating the breadcrumbs, try and keep one hand wet and one hand dry so it doesnt get too messy!
- Freeze the unbaked sticks for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- Serve immediately for the ultimate gooey sticks.
- Serve with a delicious marinara sauce for dipping or how about a Roasted Garlic Aioli?!
Stretching The Cheese Into Strings
The trick to making string cheese is in the stretching. Make mozzarella cheese using either the 30-minute Mozzarella Recipe, or the Traditional Mozzarella Recipe. Before stretching the cheese, make sure the temperature of the curd is about 170°F.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Polly O String Cheese
How To Store Mozzarella Sticks
- To store. Mozzarella sticks are best enjoyed immediately after making. You can try saving the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, then reheating them gently in a 350 degree F oven until warmed through.
- If you have leftovers, they would be delicious dipped in a big bowl of Crock Pot Tomato Soup. YUM!
- To prepare ahead. Cheese sticks can be prepared through Step 3 and frozen overnight. Bake directly from frozen as directed.
- Once the cheese sticks are breaded, you can freeze them unbaked for several months. No judgement if you spend an afternoon preparing a significant stockpile of these mozzarella sticks frozen.
Mozzarella Sticks With String Cheese
Making homemade mozzarella sticks with string cheese is not a difficult proposition, particularly if you take advantage of the fact that string cheese is already in perfectly portioned sticks ready to fry! All you need to do is bread them and dunk them in oil! You can even make Doritos Mozzarella Sticks if you are feeling crazy!
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get A Good Grilled Cheese
Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks
You can get several flavors of cheese sticks, so have fun with experimenting! I used straight up mozzarella, but jalapeno would add a great spicy kick! The breadcrumbs are a mixture of seasoned and panko. Panko breadcrumbs dont soak up much fat and stay crispy when baking. The seasoned add an extra level of flavor to each bite. Perfect results every time!
Fried Mozzarella Sticks Faqs
Can you bake mozzarella sticks instead of frying?
Technically, yes. I actually tested several batches in the oven with very mixed results. One issue is oven temperature you need it hot enough so the breading crisps up, but if the cheese melts too fast it will leak out. Most of the ones I tested ended up a melted mess on the sheet pan.Also, its very difficult to achieve the right kind of crispiness for the breading. The few I baked that managed to stay together werent crispy enough.There are recipes out there for baked mozzarella sticks, but I opted not to include a baked version only because there are too many ways they can go wrong. If you try it, please share your experience in the comments I would love to hear how it goes!Plus, lets face it, mozzarella sticks really are a once in a while treat, so if youre going to make them you might as well fry them for best results.
How do you freeze mozzarella sticks?
What I love best about this recipe is that you can prep a big batch of mozzarella sticks, freeze them and theyre ready to fry them when you want them.Freeze them on a sheet pan first for 20 to 30 minutes. Then transfer them to a large freezer bag. Squeeze out the air and then keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.When youre ready to fry a batch, you can fry them from frozen following the instructions in the recipe.
Can you substitute string cheese for mozzarella?Whats the best oil for deep frying?Can you reuse deep-frying oil?
Recommended Reading: What Is The Biggest Chuck E Cheese
Make Your Own Bread Crumbs
You can make your own bread crumbs pretty easily using toast. I like to collect the ends of bread or any leftovers and make bread crumbs out of those pieces no one seems to want. Just season them with Italian herbs and you have Italian bread crumbs. Check out my How to Make Bread Crumbs from Toast tutorial.
How To Fry Cheese Sticks
Once youve breaded the cheese you will need to pop them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Getting them really cold before you fry them will help them cook more evenly so you get perfectly gooey cheese with a crispy golden breadcrumb coating.
Use a heavy skillet and fill it with two inches of oil. I recommend that you use a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the heat. For best results, the temperature should be 350°F when you fry your mozzarella sticks.
If your oil is too cold the mozzarella sticks will absorb too much oil while they are cooking making them greasy. If its too hot, the breadcrumb coating will overcook or burn before the cheese is melted. So, keep an eye on the heat and adjust to maintain the temperature.
Once the oil is heated, carefully place the sticks in the hot oil. Fry them for two to three minutes, turning them frequently, until they are golden and crispy.
Transfer them from the oil to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Don’t Miss: Is Cheese Bad For Eczema
How To Cook Cheese Sticks
These Cheese Sticks will have the best results deep fried, it makes them crispy and delicious. They can be baked in the oven or cooked in the air fryer but the best results come from frying! When baking or air frying, a bit of the cheese may leak out, this is normal and theyll still be delish!
- To Bake Cheese Sticks: Spray cheese sticks with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 9-11 minutes or until crumbs are crisp and cheese is melted.
- To Cook Cheese Sticks in the Air Fryer: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Cook cheese sticks in small batches for 4-6 minutes or until crumbs are crisp and cheese is melted.
You Dont Need To Freeze The Cheese Sticks First
You may have seen other recipes that call for this step. And it makes sense, you dont want the cheese to cook faster than the breadcrumbs and be left with a big oozy mess.
But the beauty of frying just the breadcrumbs first, is that you only need to heat the mozzarella sticks just enough to fuse the breadcrumbs onto the cheese and also melt the cheese. It doesnt take long.
So, NO FREEZING of cheese sticks required for this recipe. Super easy. Super quick. Not super messy. Absolutely delicious.
Also Check: Where To Buy Meat And Cheese Gift Baskets
Tips For Making Mozzarella Sticks In The Instant Pot Duo Crisp:
What To Do With The Used Cooking Oil
One benefit of using tallow instead of fats like soybean oil or peanut oil, is its stable enough that it can be reused again and again. I simply filter it to remove the crumbs and sediment from the cheese sticks, then use it for another deep fried recipe, such as Fried Calamari or Potato Croquettes. Enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Who Sells Cheese Crust Pizza
How To Dispose Of Cooking Oil
First things first, if you know youre going to do more frying soon just save the oil to use again! Let the oil cool, then use a coffee filter or cheesecloth to remove any crumbs, and store in an airtight glass container in a cool, dark place.
But if youre not saving it for another round, make sure to take the proper steps to discard the oil at home:
- Pack it and throw it away. Let the oil cool completely, then pour into a non-recycleable container with a lid and throw it in the trash. Examples would be milk cartons, takeout containers, or other plastic or wax-lined paper containers.
- Pour it in the trash carefully and strategically. Once oil has cooled, slowly pour into the center of your trash can on top of absorbent items like paper towels, or discarded kitty litter. You dont want it to pool into the bottom of the bag, because that could go south.
- Freeze it and toss it. Pour cooled oil into an old can and place in the freezer. Once its solid, dump it into the trash.
Coat Frozen Mozzarella Sticks With
How to make homemade hot cheeto mozzarella sticks. Remove the dough from the fridge and pinch off 1 tablespoon of dough. Slide the mozzarella stick off of the chopstick and into the oil. Polite great dane loves mozzarella sticks.
To cook cheese sticks in the air fryer: If you can dig the.in a blender or small food processor, blend cheetos ® flamin hot ® cheese flavored snacks until finely ground.in a shallow bowl, add. Ok first things first, ingredients:
How to make hot cheeto mozzarella sticks tiktok. Roll the dough piece between your palms to make a 2 in long cheeto. Set up a breading station:
How to make hot cheetos mozzarella sticks recipe Hot cheeto mozzarella sticks with smooth texture and delicious taste. Flamin hot cheeto mozzarella sticks so good on the blog.
That said, nothing about this really tastes like a cheeto. Share it september 11, 2021. Coat frozen mozzarella sticks in flour, then dip in egg, then crushed cheetos, repeat with egg, and repeat with cheetos.
Hot cheetos are almost universally beloved and, in many ways, so are cheese sticks. Dip your string cheese into the egg yoke first, then the flour, then the hot cheetos. Cut off any extra bread and make a square shape.
Then cut the edges of your bread and roll them flat. Unwrap the mozzarella cheese sticks. Next » italian hoagie meats recipe, the best.
Pin on My posts!
FLAMIN’ HOT MOZZ STICKS Mozzarella sticks recipe, Hot
Pin on Food to try
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Havarti Cheese
Homemade Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
These awesome bites take just over an hour to make, but 30 minutes of that is chilling time so is inactive. They need to be served straight out of the oven, so only cook them when you are ready to serve, otherwise that gooey cheese wont be so gooey! You can keep the uncooked mozzarella sticks in the freezer for up to 24 hours, so you can do all the prep before your guests arrive.
Can I Bake Mozzarella Sticks
Yes, you can make homemade mozzarella sticks without frying, by baking them in the oven. However, I find baked mozzarella sticks have a higher risk of error since you can’t monitor their cooking as closely. You are more likely to end up with melted white blobs than stretchy homemade cheese sticks!
Not to mention, baked mozzarella sticks aren’t all that healthy either. You are still chowing down on big sticks of breaded cheese. Might as well fry them in oil, get better flavor, and have a better chance of them cooking to perfection.
If you still wish to attempt baked mozzarella sticks I recommend freezing the cheese prior to breading and baking them in a 450-degree oven until golden brown and the cheese threatens to ooze out. Freezing the cheese buys you a little more time before you have a melted disaster.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Cheese Is In Nacho Lunchables
Tips For The Perfect Fried Cheese Sticks
- You can use string cheese, or you can cut your own sticks of cheese from a block of mozzarella. I like to use string cheese because it ensures that the cheese sticks are all the same size and will cook at the same rate.
- If you dont have Italian style breadcrumbs, you can use regular breadcrumbs with a teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning mixed in.
- It is imperative to freeze the cheese sticks before they are cooked. Do not skip this step or the cheese will leak out into the hot oil.
- Be sure to use a frying thermometer to maintain the correct oil temperature. If the oil is too hot, the mozzarella sticks can burn. If the oil is too cold, the breadcrumb coating will absorb excess grease.
- This recipe is best when served immediately. That being said, you can store leftover cheese sticks in the refrigerator. Reheat the sticks in a 400 degrees F until crispy and warmed through.
- I typically use vegetable oil for frying, although any neutral flavored oil will work such as peanut oil, canola oil or safflower oil.
- While marinara is the most traditional dipping sauce, you can also serve ranch dressing, chipotle mayo, remoulade or garlic aioli on the side.