How To Make Parmesan Crisps
Are you convinced yet? Ready to learn how to make parmesan crisps ?
Its super easy. In fact, its so quick and easy that you can make them when a craving hits and actually have the patience to wait for them.
You just need two ingredients to make this parmesan and cheddar cheese crisps recipe. They are yep, you guessed it cheddar and parmesan!
Theres also a third optional ingredient, which is Italian seasoning. I highly recommend it and it goes with almost anything! Feel free to switch it up with any seasonings you have, though. I also love using this homemade gluten-free taco seasoning!
As far as the process of how to make parmesan crisps, it doesnt get any easier. Mix the cheeses together and make little piles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasoning, then bake in the oven for literally a few minutes.
What about the most important part how to make cheese chips crispy? The key is the size of the piles you make, and the amount of time in the oven.
Keep your piles of cheese fairly small, and dont layer them too thick. You want the cheese to spread into a very thin layer as it bakes in the oven, which will make it crispy.
Make sure you leave enough space between the piles for them to spread, otherwise youll end up with a sheet of cheese! Thats still perfectly edible, but individual chips are better for most purposes.
Easy Baked Cheese Crisps
Baked cheese crisps are the perfect way to save money on those expensive boxed versions at the store and cut down on extra additives you dont need. Low carb and perfectly crispy, they meet your potato chip craving and get you satisfied with just a few bites.
The key to feeling full and helping your body run efficiently is to keep your refined carbs in check. Youll feel better, think more clearly and have more sustained energy when you choose good fats and protein instead of refined white flour foods like muffins, breads and cereal.
Or in the carb case were tackling with this recipe: Potato chips.
Fried in refined inflammatory oils, racking up your daily intake of PUFAs and empty carbohydrates is easy to do with a bag of Lays.
But youre craving that salty crunch. Time to make your own cheese crisps!
The healthy fat will satisfy you fast and youll get a salty hit from the cheese that kicks cravings. I can usually only eat two or three of these at a time and Im good to go.
More About This Recipe
- Looking for the easiest, simplest appetizer ever? This is it. Two ingredients. About 10 minutes per batch total. Almost totally hands off. So, what is it that I am talking about? Cheddar Crisps are a ridiculously simple and easy appetizer. I mean seriously, with just two ingredients, how can you go wrong?Basically, you bake cheddar thats seasoned with a little cayenne pepper until it hardens into a crispy round.Then you eat!Now, if you make these, there’s one important thing you should know. Its super important that you stick close to the oven and keep an eye on these babies. If they brown, then the flavor becomes bitter and its not good at all.You want the crisps to retain their cheddar color, but get just to the point where they stop bubbling .It will take somewhere between six and 10 minutes in the oven. Add in two minutes to get the cheese and spice on the baking sheet, and you’ve got less than 15 minutes from start to finish. Awesome, right?Click here for full recipe.Try these then tell us how easy and delish they were below!Sarah W. Caron is a food writer, editor and blogger who writes about family-friendly foods and raising a healthy family at Sarahs Cucina Bella.
Also Check: Spreadable Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How Many Carbs Are In Keto Cheese Crisps
Seeing that eating cheddar cheese while on keto or a low carb diet is perfectly acceptable, that also means eating keto cheddar cheese crisps is perfectly acceptable!
- 1 Cheddar Cheese Crisp has only 0.2 NET CARBS, 21 CALORIES, and 1.9 grams of PROTEIN.
Its a great low carb snack, to eat by itself and also perfect for dipping.
What Are All The Ways To Use Cheese Crisps
It would probably be easier to answer how can I not use them. These little cheese crisps pack a massive punch in the flavor department and they are super versatile! Here are a few ways of how we like to eat them.
- Make them into appetizers! Either make rounds with shredded cheese or break the sheet of baked cheese into cracker-sized pieces and load on toppings. Here are some ideas: Fresh cucumber slice with olives, cream cheese and sun-dried tomato, a small slice of turkey or ham lunch meat with green onion, pickled jalapeño and a slice of pepperoni, or fresh tomato, sprinkling of freshly ground pepper with fresh cilantro or basil.
- Make little sandwiches with two crisps as bread and put whatever filling you like inside. Use some of the options above for ideas.
- As dippers to dip right into your favorite salsas, dips, or spreads.
- Garnish any plate with a little cheesy work of art. These work great with meat, fish, or vegetable meals.
- As a topper to sprinkle right on top of your soups, chilis, stews, pastas, or salads. Adds a nice crunch that is a great substitute for croutons.
- Add them to charcuterie boards or cheese boards for wine and cheese parties.
- As a snack all on their own. These are delicious by themselves.
Do you have a favorite way to eat these? Share your ideas in the comments below!
These Cheese Crips are the Most Perfect Low-Carbohydrate, Gluten Free and Ketogenic-Friendly Snack
Don’t Miss: Is Kraft Mozzarella Cheese Vegetarian
What Do You Need To Make Keto Cheese Chips
- Cheese Slices I have used Gouda
- Condiments of your choice
Thats all. Nothing else. Oh, and Oven to bake it in.
Here we have Step by step instructions on how to make those perfect crispy oven baked Keto Cheese Crisps:
Step One: Heat up the oven
Step Two: Cut gherkins and olives into small pieces
You can also use our Keto Fermented Dill Pickles.
Step Three: Place slices evenly onto the baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Step Four: Place few pieces of gherkins and olives onto the cheese slices
Step Five: Bake
You see how easy this is. I am always happy if the recipe is quick, easy, fast, with least ingredients and especially tasty and crunchy. And that is double for chips, we are craving so much in our Low Carb or Keto Lifestyle.
How To Make Cheese Chips
I think these go great with a pizza sauce, but any dip will complement these crunchy Cheese Chips like guacamole, salsa, buffalo dip, ranch, even a cheese dip!
Recommended Reading: Is Babybel Cheese Pasteurized
Storing And Freezing The Cheese Crisps
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 7 days. I find that it is best to arrange them in layers in the container separated with paper towels.
Freeze the crisps by vacuum sealing them with a Food Saver or in a heavy ziplock bag for up to 6 months.
The cheese will have lost its crispness but the flavors will still be present.
Keto Italian Breadsticks Recipe
Keto Italian Breadsticks Recipe made with fathead dough and mixture of herbs are simple, easy cheesy and fluffy replacement for your snack. Gluten-Free and Grain-Free Garlic Bread Sticks served with your favorite dipps or just simply along keto soup or as an appetiser with a meal. Perfect addition to your Keto Meal Preps.
Recommended Reading: Does Babybel Need To Be Refrigerated
Serving The Cheese Crisps
You will probably want to have a dip of some kind for the chips. Any basic sour cream dip recipe like this one from Holly at Spend With Pennies would be great.
Another dip for the Italian style cheeses would be a basic Marinara sauce. Parmesan, Romano, and mozzarella need this. A store bought sauce would be fine or make your own using this simple recipe from Gina at Skinny Taste.
The recipe card for this post will be representative of a basic baked cheese crisp recipe since the ingredients used will vary. Ill use Parmesan as the base cheese since it is one of the higher calorie cheeses at about 122 kcal. per ounce. And Ill include bacon of course.
Be sure to try these tasty recipes too:
Make It In The Air Fryer
- First be sure that the tortilla will fit in your air fryer. If its too big, just cut it into thirds or quarters.
- Lightly mist one side of the tortilla with cooking spray.
- Place the cheese and other toppings on the other side of the tortilla. Because these are thin they will cook fairly quickly. I suggest you air fry them at 350°F for only 2-3 minutes.
- Check and add more time if needed.
Also Check: How Long Can Babybel Cheese Be Unrefrigerated
Equipment Needed To Make Baked Cheese Crisps
First of all, is an:
Oven I would suspect that every kitchen has one.
Cheese grater to grate block cheeses. You may also use bagged, shredded cheeses to make the crisps.
Large baking sheet or cookie sheet a half-sheet is perfect.
Parchment paper this is a must because it allows the hot crisps to be removed without much sticking.
Cooking oil spray to spray a little bit on the parchment paper so that the crisps release easily.
Thin spatula a thin metal turner works best to pick up the cheese crisps.
How Long Does A Block Of Parmesan Cheese Last In The Fridge
Hard Cheeses Some of our favorite cheeses in this category include Parmesan, Asiago, Romano and cheddar. When stored properly in the fridge, an unopened package can last between two and four months. An opened package of Parmesan or block of cheddar, however, is good for about six weeks in the fridge.
What Are Cheese Crisps Made Of
Its made with just melted cheese, butter and a crispy tortilla. But unlike the Quesadilla, cheese crisps are made with large, thin flour tortillas, not corn tortillas. Sometimes called Sonoran Quesadillas according to the Simply Recipes website, people oftentimes also add toppings like green chiles for more flavor.
How To Cook Parmesan Crisps In A Skillet
My favorite way of making the parmesan crisps in an iron skillet, I like how crisp I can get them. But you can also use any type of skillet. If you make them on the stove and want to make cracker rounds, it is going to take a while because you can only make 4-5 at a time.
The Best Way to Store Fricos is at Room Temperature for 5-6 Days
Don’t Miss: Do Cheese Sticks Need To Be Refrigerated
How To Use Cheese Chips
Dips and snacks are my first to-go for these crunchy, carb-free discs, but sometimes I make WAY too many and have to find other uses for them.
These are a great crunchy alternative to add to a salad, or a fun element to add with your tomato basil soup instead of grilled cheese!
One fun part of this recipe is, before they cool, you can easily mold or shape them into other forms! Place them over the underside of a muffin tin before cooling and use them as mini cheese bowls, or roll them into tubes to be stuffed for a fancy keto appetizer.
The options are endless with these delicious chips!
Can You Make Cheese Chips In The Microwave
You certainly can, even though this is not the healthiest option. Additionally to this, once you make cheese slices in the microwa v e, they can either become soggy or rock hard.
With oven you can really regulate the crispiness you like and prefer.
And as you can see here, in only a few minutes, you can have them nice and crispy in the oven, I would still suggest using the oven for this recipe.
Recommended Reading: Do Sealed Cheese Sticks Need To Be Refrigerated
Fathead Dough Breadsticks Without Eggs
Super easy and quick to make, those Best Egg Free Fathead Dough Keto Breadsticks will be gone in seconds from the table. Perfect for your Keto Breakfast or as an appetizer, fully Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, and Low Carb, this super yummy Keto Bread Stick Recipe with additional Turmeric flavor is fit for Diabetics as well. With only 3 ingredients, Fathead Dough and 1g of Carbs for a Breadstick you are going to love it.
Customize Your Keto Cheese Crisps
- Feel free to experiment with different flavors and seasonings! We used Everything Bagel seasoning here, but you can make them spicy with a touch of chili powder, or any flavoring you like.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the three cheeses until well combined. If using seasoning, add half of it at this point.
- Place a spoonful of the cheese mixture on your baking sheet. Use a teaspoon for smaller, crispier chips or a Tablespoon for larger chips. Leave about 1 1/2 between your scoops.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes, until youve achieved your desired crispiness.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining seasoning.
Don’t Miss: Red Diamond Merlot 2011
Making Basic Parmesan Crisps
Top Results For Making Cheese Crisps In Oven
Read Also: Soapstone Serving Tray
Are Whisps Healthy
Because theres just one ingredient, Parmesan cheese, Whisps are high in protein and calcium, and low to zero in just about all other ingredients. Munching on them offers a real-food, feel-good snacking experience. Ten or 15 of them is all you need for satiety. They are gluten-, preservative-, sugar- and carb-free.
What To Serve With
Cheese crisps are great for serving with other party foods, as a low-carb snack on their own, or dipped in your favorite sauces. I happen to love my homemade ranch seasoning recipe combined with sour cream.
I like to make a few variations of cheese crisps and serve them with sour cream, BBQ sauce, queso dip, and ranch dressing for game day.
Although, most of the time, I eat them on their own as a quick snack to curb my food cravings. I’m totally in love the the crunchy texture of cheese crisps.
Recommended Reading: Babybel Cheese Refrigeration
Cooking And Serving Tips
- Fill the cupswith just about anything! You can use these cups to serve small salads with finely chopped vegetables or dips such as guacamole or hummus, and even chunky corn or tomato salsa. Just make sure the filling doesnt have any liquid that will seep through the tiny holes in the cups or cause them to become soggy as they sit.
- You can also forego the molding step and just let them cool as flat crisps. Eat them as-is for a snack or add as a crunchy topping to a soup or salad. The flat crisps are great low-carb, gluten-free alternatives to crackers or tortilla chips to serve alongside a dip.
Why Are My Cheese Crisps Soggy
You didnt bake them long enough or hot enough. All ovens vary in temperature as much as 50 degrees hotter or cooler than what is set on the dial. Youll need to adjust for those differences.
Cheese crisps bake in about 7 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Make sure they are evenly brown all over and give them a turn halfway through cooking for even heat. If the center doesnt get as brown as the edges theyll be soggy in the center when they cool.
Read Also: Laughing Cow Cheese Refrigerate